California save water

-

spinman_1949

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
For the members that live in California. Please post ideas and ways you are saving water.

This is what we have done so far.

1. Fake Grass in front yard.
2. Rock garden balance of yard with a few draught resistant shrubs and a lot of potted plants. Drip irrigation for shrubs and potted plants.
3. Ice plant on hill. Sprinkler for 5 minutes twice a week.
4. The old if it is yellow let it mellow potty rule. Sometimes the wife forgets, but years back we installed those pressure johns that use 1.6 gallons per flush.
5. Wife tries to save as much dishwater she can. Rinse water.

So our use is about 50 gallons for each of us a day.

Now we are looking at the following.

1. Save bath or shower water. I bought a cool rechargeable sump pump. So in our walk in shower we will block drain and then pump out the water to a 55 gallon drum just outside the bathroom window. Use this water with another more powerful sump pump to hand water the shrubs, potted plant and possibly the hill.
2. Also thinking of getting another 55 gal drum for the garage and see if I can direct some of the laundry water to it. A bit tricky but I think it is doable.

I think we already save a lot more than most, but always open to ideas.

Oh and we mickey mouse saved about 100 gallons during the recent rain.

Tom

Aren't we always in a water crisis, it's so cal we never get that much rain, plus if they want to save water quit building so many damn new houses, they are getting rid of most of the open land where water is obsorded. At least around where I live they always have to build something on open land either more houses or warehouses

Tom, years ago I put in a 1000 gallon watertank to collect rain water off my property, it is NOT inconsiderable. Got it all plumbed up, County would not let me use it. Was going to just use outside and was plumbed that way. The government wants us to save water but don't get creative! I have no more green grass, minimal watering .

Aren't we always in a water crisis, it's so cal we never get that much rain, plus if they want to save water quit building so many damn new houses, they are getting rid of most of the open land where water is obsorded. At least around where I live they always have to build something on open land either more houses or warehouses

Right there with you. They are building a ton of new homes not 3 miles from me off the 56 highway here in San Diego.

And yes we are always in a water stress position, but now it is really bad. And the stupid environmentalists that want to save a fish that is dying off anyway are sure not helping.

And Moonbeam is building a high speed railroad while we die of thirst and our biggest revenue source agriculture dies. Say goodbye to Guacamole for those chips. Oh and wait until all the liber wine drinkers find out that there is no more Napa or Sonoma.

X2 :wack:MT

If Kalifornia breaks off into the pacific...It will be surrounded by water.."LOL

Tom, years ago I put in a 1000 gallon watertank to collect rain water off my property, it is NOT inconsiderable. Got it all plumbed up, County would not let me use it. Was going to just use outside and was plumbed that way. The government wants us to save water but don't get creative! I have no more green grass, minimal watering .

Tim,

Sounds like a great idea. What was the reason given for your not being allowed to use it? Irrigation only correct?

Tom

Water shortage thats too bad..plenty of water around here with all the snow we get:D:D

Just another reason not to live in Commiefornia..

Tim,

Sounds like a great idea. What was the reason given for your not being allowed to use it? Irrigation only correct?

Tom

Would not allow storm water to be stored underground, they said and I quote "it might leak and seep into the groud water!" I had it set to collect most of the water runoff from the walks and the drives. It could have oil in it. LOL And above ground I needed a varience that my neighbors had to sign off on, they would not citing looks. MT:burnout::wack:

Trust me if I could I would move, this place is getting way to crowded considering even on the weekends you run into traffic, to many people most not enough brain cells

I heard on the news, the other day that all the rich neighborhoods, people are still watering their lawns.
Rich people can`t have brown grass now can they? only the middle class/poor.
I propose a big money venture, pipeline from the great lakes to calif. who`s in? lol:D
We`ll make a fortune!

I heard on the news, the other day that all the rich neighborhoods, people are still watering their lawns.
Rich people can`t have brown grass now can they? only the middle class/poor.
I propose a big money venture, pipeline from the great lakes to calif. who`s in? lol:D
We`ll make a fortune!

If it was Oil, they would build a pipeline around the globe! NOT water. I predict the next World war will be fought over......WATER.:wack:MT

I mentioned that very same thing, on another web site, and someone in Michigan answered back telling me where to go.

California produces over 75% of the country's nuts--not the ones from Hollywood and LA.

It takes one gallon of water to produce one almond and five gallons to produce a walnut. Not one ounce or pound--one single nut. Now, even if they are extremely exaggerating, this is still amazing.

Up theirs! Its not just there water! water war soon, just wait. MT

Up theirs! Its not just there water! water war soon, just wait. MT

It just might get to that point, during what's left of my lifetime.

I'm 62 and think what may be ahead, with this drought situation out here in California.

Will it really get to the point, water from somewhere else, to grow the crops here in California, for the rest of the USA, and have the beef for the supermarkets, or McDonalds hamburgers. :dontknow:

-
Back