California save water

-
We have a different problem here. We have a plentiful cheap water source but we treat it like a toilet.
If a pipeline were built, who decides when to shut if off, or when?

It's supposed to be against both US and Canadian law to sell water from the Great Lakes , try reading the Clean water act , not that it has slowed down the bottling companies any , I like the more dams idea I just want to locate them a little farther north than California eh! Heck we could solve the zebra mussel problem at the same time .

can't believe how low the water is..

cdd5fe90-fb95-11e4-b431-a14fb2239952_473144442.jpg

cac31940-fb95-11e4-b49e-7d70f0a659f0_473144450.jpg

Yeah, serious drop in the water level.

Hover dam is the lowest it has been since it was filled! It is near the point where it cant produce electricity. Then what? MT

Hover dam is the lowest it has been since it was filled! It is near the point where it cant produce electricity. Then what? MT

Looks like Ca with have electricity problems also since the majority of the water and electricity go to Southern Cal......

I feel for you folks out there.
I can see why you would want to live in California, it's a beautiful state. It has it's issues, but so does every other state in the union.
It's a trade off in the end, one you're going to have to live with.
As my grandpa said, "you wanna dance, you gotta pay the fiddler!"

Lake Powell was so low a while back that we went hiking up one of the canyons we usually fish in. It was also neat to see all of the old Indian ruins that where under there.

Grew up in Colorado people used to get shoot over water rights not to long ago there. Dam up a creek and shut off water to some cattlemens herd and there was he!! To pay. A lot off the water rights have been bought up by down stream states but when water is short the upstream state gets first dibs.

I think some of the change in weather has do with the change in El Niño and what ever the other one is. They just swapped last year or year before so new ten year cycle starting.

I feel for you guys have relatives in the valley and down in San Deigo.

What about the "global whining" that the water levels will rise until all land is under water???

If that's so, then why is the water level dropping???

I do know the people that run Ca. are pretty darn smart. I hear they will use helicopters to dip water out of Missoui lakes and flew to to Ca. theu chose Mo. lakes for water cause we have plenty and we sell everything really cheap!

The OP's question has gone off topic in regards to what you have done to save water in this drought situation.
Everyone, including me, has posted everything but.
Here's what my neighbors have done to the front of their property, when the houses changed ownership.
No more front green lawns, and a desert landscape type of scenery was put in.
Getting to be more common in my area, doing away with grass, that doesn't have to be watered.

Attachments

• Hirschfeld Way Front Yards 001 (Copy).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Hirschfeld Way Front Yards 003 (Copy).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Hirschfeld Way Front Yards 004 (Copy).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 204
The OP's question has gone off topic in regards to what you have done to save water in this drought situation.
Everyone, including me, has posted everything but.
Here's what my neighbors have done to the front of their property, when the houses changed ownership.
No more front green lawns, and a desert landscape type of scenery was put in.
Getting to be more common in my area, doing away with grass, that doesn't have to be watered.

Thx for putting it back on topic. I will post some pictures of my yard tomorrow.

Tom

Just an example of what's been done at our Condo Complex in Arizona. We are slowly changing out the Tropical Plants as they die and replacing them with Desert type plants. We have been experimenting on how much water the complex needs and have found we can water 10 minutes per zone instead of 15 and maintain the plants in their current state.

Attachments

• 100_0359.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_0358.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_0357.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_0356.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 171
Not sure how close to the coast you are but when I was stationed in HI on the dry side we had a grass that would get most of its moisture from the air from the ocean breeze/mist. That stuff was tuff and only had to mow every now and then. I cannot for the life of me remember its name. Not sure about bringing it in to Cali or you guys my have a native one similar to it.

Here's a suggestion for those members that live in Cali. Get rid of that fulltime legislature. All they do is cowtower to the enviro lobby. Kick all the tree huggers to the curb. They are the cause of your water problem.

well now they are saying El-nino is back, maybe it will stick around for a few years :blob:

-
Back