cam help

-

dusterfanatic

The 340 Hammer
Reaction score
i want a cam that i can drive every day and not get pooped on for fuel also not a very fidily one but i want a powerfull one that can crank out one hell of a bad but noise if you know what i mean

OK, now for a serious answer, but first, a question to you. What style cam do you want to run? Hyd. Mechanical, Mechanical roller, Hyd. Roller?

Next question...what trans do you have and it's stall?
What gear ratio and tire size are you going to run with.

All of this matters for a better cam pick and not just a one word answer that you'll go looking for and find 3 styles of roller cam @ $300 or so a pop.

OH, also being you posted this question in the slant 6 section, they don't make thumper cams for /6's, if indeed that is what you have.

1. machanical
2.stock but i am not really sure
3.have not decided yet

i am restoreing a 1970 duster i just got it last weekend and i just pulled the block off today i was looking into strokeing it or other things and i wanted to know popular cams

just looking for great loud rumble a head turner not looking for hp really

Rumble, I think he's got a slant 6 toolman

OK, no bashing you here, but, it sounds like you have no clue to what you want besides a rumbleing car.

Is it a V-8? How big is the engine?

A tip for selecting a cam with a choppy idle would be one ground on a 110 centerline. A 108 is good for a 340 or a 360. That will give it a real wild chop.

That is all the advice I can offer right now since everything else is an unknown. Whats the stock tranny?

i got a stock slant 6 225 cubic inch and i know nothing about the transmission exept that its a stock automatic

i just went through this,cam choice can be difficult.like rumble said there are lots of things to consider.if you pick something strictly on how" bad ***" it sound,it will probably be miserable to drive,and get crappy mpg.comp makes a few off the shelf solid grinds for a mild slant.or you could have schneider cams grind you a custom one.but first you really need to decide what the intended use /rpm range will be.

What all do you want your Duster to do and what is your budget???? A cam in a slant with NO head work will be a big disappointment. In your other thread you wanted to stroke the slant DONT it is all ready a LONG STROKE motor.
Spend your money on a build that will do as much as you can afford.
Remember to build a V8 hunter is fine until you need to drive 100 miles to your girlfriend's house just to have her complain that the drone gives her a headache.
Just my02.
Frank

ya i am boring 30 thousand of and then takeing 20 thousand off the head but i just don't know much about slant sixes i am more a v8 guy but i want good gas miledge but i don't want to look like a dork when i drive to school eather

Go 2bbl.....open the intake valves to 1.7 and ex to 1.44 shaving .050 off the head will put the compression at 9:1. Look under /6 where I posted a question about exhaust. I am going to go with the clifford header. 2 14 dual pipes using the thrush mufflers

there is a base formula to figure out cfm requirement.225 x5000rpms divided by 3456=325.52 cfm.this is only a guide line for an engine turning 5000 rpms.its not set in stone,but its a good start.

Because at 225 (+ overbore with is very little) the engine is hard pressed to use all the CFM's of the carb. Also, most 4bbl. carbs have more than enuff on the primary side to feed a 225. You would want to keep the carb small since your running a stock tranny, converter and gears on normal tire size.

IF a 4bbl. is a must have, you would need to look for a Holley 390 or a Carter 500 AFB or the earlier WCFB which cost monster money IF you can find one.

Since you said your more of a V-8 guy, look at it like this, a stock 318 with small cam and a 1050 Dom. on top.

can someone tell me why you would go with a 2 barrel rather than a 4 barrel please lol
if you look at the numbers i posted more closely (325 cfm),you dont really need a 4bbl set up.however if you are planning on headers,increased cr,head work,an agressive cam,incrased stall speed,and lower gears than a small 4bbl would be better.it all really depends on your intended use.

If you want as much power as you can get put a 4 barrel on it. I ran a Super Six on my Duster and went 16:20 with it. Put an Offy and 390 Holley on it and ran 15:60's right out of the gate. 2 barrel is a cork if you're trying to make power.

Taking anything less than .090" off the head is a waste of time. I also believe that boring one less then .060" is useless too. The more you open the bore up the better the head will breath. A bigger bore will unshroud the intake valve a little, and every little bit helps on these turds.

Don't even begin to think about camshafts until you figure out what you want to do. With a little motor to start with, overcamming it will really disappoint you in a hurry.

if you look at the numbers i posted more closely (325 cfm),you dont really need a 4bbl set up.however if you are planning on headers,increased cr,head work,an agressive cam,incrased stall speed,and lower gears than a small 4bbl would be better.it all really depends on your intended use.

The one glaring issue with using that formula is that it only takes into consideration the CFM to hold the engine at a set RPM. It does not add anything for accelerating the engine/car to that RPM. That formula is basically useless.

i merely suggest it as a starting point if you read my previous post on page 1.i agree that there is flexebilty in either direction,and that it is not concrete.and all of this is hypothetical since we really dont know the intended use or rpm range.i just cant see putting a 4bbl on a set up with the stock exhaust manifold still in place.jmo.i could be wrong.

-
Back