Can a heli-coil insert – be replaced?

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a small leak where the fill neck connects to the thermostat housing on the intake manifold. When the bolt was removed the heli-coil insert broke

The initial repair was done before I bought the manifold

I am not familiar with heli-coils, can the insert simply be replaced? Or worse case repaired?
Or do I have to drill out an even larger hole for a larger heli-coil

Also any recommendation on repair kits?

Attachments

• IMG_6095.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_6096.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_6097.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 262
Looks like it stripped out, what I would do. Either drill it out larger, or drill it out with a bit to clean out what looks to be RTV, liberally spackle some JB weld and on a new insert, and in the hole. Stuff it in, hope for the best. Preferably cleaning out excess JB weld with a bolt or tap so you can thread. Let it cure a day.

Almost appears to me it has already been "repaired repaired," that is JB or something. I'd say you will have to go larger or weld it up. "Might" be able to clean it GOOD and carefully JB a stud in there then use a nut /acorn on top.

The heli-coils coils are not ideal for aluminium. The inserts you wanna use are steel threaded inside and out and has three steel pins that are driven in along the sides after the insert is threaded in sorry I can't remember what they are called. You could easily repair that intake with one of them. I use them a lot at work I look them up and see what they are called

Yep. Keenserts. There's thin ones and thick ones but they're internally and externally threaded and lock in place place with pins. Far superior to helicoils.

Does the keenserts require a special tool?

I believe they do as well as the E-Z lock brand. Of course you might be able to screw one in with a bolt, hardened washer, and nut.

Another possible option, unless you've ruled it out, might be drilling and tapping for a larger bolts.

I believe they do as well as the E-Z lock brand. Of course you might be able to screw one in with a bolt, hardened washer, and nut.

Another possible option, unless you've ruled it out, might be drilling and tapping for a larger bolts.

The special tool is just stepped punch to smash the pins down. They can be threaded to flush by hand or with a bolt, then use the install tool and a hammer. It's not as tough as it sounds and thread locker should still be used to seal the OD due to the liquid behind it.

A plain old threaded insert should work. (no retaining pins, just use threadlock)

The threaded inserts usually come in standard thread sizes, so you just need a normal tap for them.

look for 'threaded insert' at mcmaster.com

No need for any special tools just screw them in and set them with a hammer.

Muggyweld super alloy 5 and an oxy torch. Trick is to get it very hot and flux it. no propane on this bad boy. [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qRzSy6kh93o[/ame]

-
Back