Can headliner be installed with glass in?

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does the glass need to be removed to install a new headliner?

Inquiring minds wanna know...LOL

Jeff

It can be installed with the glass inbut it's a ***** to get right. My upholstery guy said he could do mine but I wouldn't like the bill. LOL

The owner of the shop did mine. He is 84 yrs old. So he has had some practice doing it.

20201022_155351.jpg

20201030_130941.jpg

No , but it is much easier. There are serrated edges at the top of the front and rear glass that "bite" into the headliner to keep it in place. Unfortunately they are very close to the rubber gasket and makes maneuvering and tucking harder. As well , on the fastback model anyway, there are two tensioning springs to keep the headliner taut. I've done it both ways and it is way easier without the glass, seats, and overhead trim in the way!!

69 barracuda fb/yes it can be done I did it !!! I will compare my job to anyone's !
69 fb headliner
I agree with trim/seats /consul out of the way AND a fold down rear seat !!!

It’s not a problem with the glass in the car. And it can be done to perfection.

No windows during the headliner install. But the shop installed them afterwards.

20201009_155733.jpg

20201021_161228.jpg

I did mine with the glass in, didnt have much of an issue tucking under the windshield gasket, was a little tougher at the rear glass, Have to have a short screw driver to attach the the chrome ( B Body) .
Biggest difficulty I had was getting the listing loops cut back far enough on the bows to keep it from bunching up.

We did my old '66 Barracuda with the glass in. We also made the headliner ourselves in 1984. Total cost was around $20 and that included some batting for insulation. That headliner lasted far longer than the original and might still be in good shape.

Also, reinstalled the headliner in my '67 fastback with the glass in, but only because I forgot to put it in first. It was still in good shape and was not original to the car. That was in 2006.

I used to work in an upholstery shop and that was common practice. The last car it worked on was my son's E Body when we installed his new headliner.

So just mist it? Do anything else? Mine has small wrinkles like that also, but I think where I went wrong was not slitting the now pockets far enough up and when I went to stretch it, it interferes. It was my first time and I think it turned out pretty good, though.

So just mist it? Do anything else? Mine has small wrinkles like that also, but I think where I went wrong was not slitting the now pockets far enough up and when I went to stretch it, it interferes. It was my first time and I think it turned out pretty good, though.
Please understand there are some wrinkles that will not come out I think it's fantastic when you can get them all out. Just mist the material and let it dry on it's own. Sometime it must be done more than once. Let it absolutely dry between applications. I have also seen some ruined by people that knew what they were doing. Be careful and good luck!!!

Tried doing the head liner on my 64 Valiant. The rubber gasket was just stiff enough to make it a pain. Finally, decided to remove the windshield and back window. Of course there was some rust at the pinch weld. So it makes sense to fix that now. Of course the windshield has some edge fogging, and minor pitting\scratching, so really should use a new windshield. Naturally with a new gasket. Back window is in good condition (luckily, not available new). Not going to try and install it with the old gasket (had to cut it to remove the window, and not chance breaking it). Talk about project creep.

-
Back