can i put a V8 904 bell housing on a V6 904 and bolt it up to a 318?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
i have a /6 904 that i know is good, and v8 904 thats been sitting outside and looks like a few critters crawled up in there. (PITA to clean). Im putting a 318 in my duster and was wondering if i can just pull the V8 bell housing off and slap it on my good v6 904 then bolt it up?? Save me SOOOOO much time so hopefully i can.

lemme know THANKS!

They dont have bellhousings really. One piece transmission-bellhousing like a chevy or ford. So, that sucks. Craigslist. Small block mopar transmission time. Is it your only car?
Otherwise I would pull the trans and rebuild it. You can probably find a fellow mopar guy down there that can lend you some knowledge and possibly a helping hand. If I were living in your area I would help you out probably.

weak! o well, guess its time to tear apart this 318 tranny and hope nothing crazy crawled up in there!

Awesome info thanks!!

question then!!

I think the /6 904 has a slightly higher stall speed than the v8 904...can I use that TC in the v8 904??

I do not know. The 318 has a particular balance on the torque converter I believe it depends on the year. I believe the earlier 318 torque converters were neutral balance and maybe the later years were weighted.

I dont even know if the /6 tc has a higher stall and if it would be worth it regarding strength - durability.

I just dont know.

Awesome info thanks!!

question then!!

I think the /6 904 has a slightly higher stall speed than the v8 904...can I use that TC in the v8 904??

Yes but in 68 the input shaft splines changed so you have to make sure and mate a 67 and older tc with a 67 and older trans. and 68 and newer tc to 68 and newer trans. You also have to watch out if it's a lockup converter or not. I don't remember exactly when they started using lockup converters but I think it was the mid to late 70's. You can easily identify a lockup trans. by the input shaft. It has the front end machined down smooth for about 1/2" where-as a non lockup trans. has splines all the way to the end.

I do not know. The 318 has a particular balance on the torque converter I believe it depends on the year. I believe the earlier 318 torque converters were neutral balance and maybe the later years were weighted.

I dont even know if the /6 tc has a higher stall and if it would be worth it regarding strength - durability.

I just dont know.

318's were always neutral balanced until the magnum came out in 92. It's 360's that were externally balanced and required a balance weight.

the /6 converter will stall higher behind a V8 (how much higher is dependant on the torque output of the V8) and it's made with the same parts so strength isn't an issue.

alright well hopefully my the 318 904 can accept the /6 torque converter. ill check the input shaft, and they have to be exactly the same right? either machined tip or splines to the edge?

alright well hopefully my the 318 904 can accept the /6 torque converter. ill check the input shaft, and they have to be exactly the same right? either machined tip or splines to the edge?

Yes they have to be EXACTLY the same. Also make sure you count the splines on each to verify their the same spline count. 67 on back had 18 splines and 68 and up had 27 splines.

Yes they have to be EXACTLY the same. Also make sure you count the splines on each to verify their the same spline count. 67 on back had 18 splines and 68 and up had 27 splines.

Dude if you need a torque converter buy one at a trans repair shop or a trans supplier. TC's a cheap at hese places $65 to $90 bucks. Also they are rebuilts not new, but just as good.

-
Back