Can I use the OEM Dakota fuel pump?

-
Where were you 5 yrs ago when I had the donor in my yard for 3 weeks?
This is the best advice for anyone thinking of this kind of swap..especially if the car has the immobilizer like mine..
If this pcm takes a **** on me I'm screwed.
Is there anyway to get the vin number off the pcm? I have the obd port available?
I think the paper label has that has the bar code on it, the numbers below it contain some I.D. #'s
Where were you 5 yrs ago when I had the donor in my yard for 3 weeks?
This is the best advice for anyone thinking of this kind of swap..especially if the car has the immobilizer like mine..
If this pcm takes a **** on me I'm screwed.
Is there anyway to get the vin number off the pcm? I have the obd port available?
On top or bottom of the ecm is a paper label with a bar code. Write down the p/n & s/n. If you had to buy another they should be able to help you out from the information you have. If the label provides a vin#, all the better.

Hopefully you can read the label, the prior owner of my car had powerwashed the engine and got the label wet. It now looks like an over cooked piece of bacon and only half is there. Talk about being screwed.

I think the paper label has that has the bar code on it, the numbers below it contain some I.D. #'s

On top or bottom of the ecm is a paper label with a bar code. Write down the p/n & s/n. If you had to buy another they should be able to help you out from the information you have. If the label provides a vin#, all the better.

Hopefully you can read the label, the prior owner of my car had powerwashed the engine and got the label wet. It now looks like an over cooked piece of bacon and only half is there. Talk about being screwed.
15711237767667447748026127302984.jpg

I'm thinking you should get back to it.
In while you're there spun me up one to let me know how much I owe you What is the ETA on that?

I can dig out the parts and look into it. I don't have access to my big lathe anymore and I don't know if my atlas can swallow a part that big. Let me look into it

Hey guys I was just wondering if I could reuse the Salvage fuel pump from the donor Dakota / Durango I got

I am dropping a 5.9 L Magnum from a 2001 Durango into a 1973 Dodge swinger in the process I am using all the OEM harnesses wires and even air conditioning system I have all the harnesses from the headlights all the way back including the PDC PCM and interior fuse box I would like to regulate the fuel going to my fuel rail

Edited for more information
I'm thinking just put it in a tank /cell Fuel and run it off there is there any problems with this setupView attachment 1715407113
I got my car back from paint so I was able to take a couple of pics showing you how my pump is mounted. The tank is approx. 10" in height, 20gal and is in the trunk. The pump is mounted in the lower left corner and the fuel line turns 90* then through the trunk floor. I hope this helps you out. Looks to be the same pump.

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

I got my car back from paint so I was able to take a couple of pics showing you how my pump is mounted. The tank is approx. 10" in height, 20gal and is in the trunk. The pump is mounted in the lower left corner and the fuel line turns 90* then through the trunk floor. I hope this helps you out. Looks to be the same pump.

View attachment 1715408791

View attachment 1715408792
That's almost exactly what I had pictured in my head..except for a round ring around the entire top part of the pump..
Looks easy enough to replace the pump if needed..

That quick disconnect to hardline is a $ piece from summit then the hardline ...your done..

I did come across another member who managed to cut the top part of a Cherokee tank and grafted that onto an existing tank to use the OEM mounting ring

I might add that I have the original instrument cluster from the donor vehicle grafted into my dash. That way the fuel sender works with the fuel gauge as a matched set.

Is that the same car as in this thread - What have I got myself in to? Denver here we come!!

Sure sounds the same...

Has to be the same car! I know BadAss71 sold it, but no idea the buyer ended up on here. Guessing @Tinmannz didn't know the build was documented on here?

Hmm...no "American rides" (or whatever) on Tinmannz tank, different cap, same car but different tank? Or I am completely wrong and it is a different car? A mystery....

Hmm...no "American rides" (or whatever) on Tinmannz tank, different cap, same car but different tank? Or I am completely wrong and it is a different car? A mystery....
Same car, amazing what members remember. I better watch what I say as I'm a firm believer in karma.

I did not know it was documented here, so thanks for coming forward with that useful information.

I've had a conversation with the builder and painter trying to gain information on the build and paint codes. They were both surprised that it ended up in Idaho and still winning awards.

I am the 3rd owner, I had a 30' Ford 5 window coupe that I was trying to sell and a fella from Lodi Calif had the car and wanted to trade. He trailered the car up and we made a deal.

The car had some paint and body issues going on so those issues were addressed and I just got it back from the body shop today. Its looks very nice.

A few more personal touches and it'll be ready for next year show season.

Thanks again for posting the pics of the build, its much appreciated.

Same car, amazing what members remember. I better watch what I say as I'm a firm believer in karma.

I did not know it was documented here, so thanks for coming forward with that useful information.

I've had a conversation with the builder and painter trying to gain information on the build and paint codes. They were both surprised that it ended up in Idaho and still winning awards.

I am the 3rd owner, I had a 30' Ford 5 window coupe that I was trying to sell and a fella from Lodi Calif had the car and wanted to trade. He trailered the car up and we made a deal.

The car had some paint and body issues going on so those issues were addressed and I just got it back from the body shop today. Its looks very nice.

A few more personal touches and it'll be ready for next year show season.

Thanks again for posting the pics of the build, its much appreciated.

That's too cool

Is your speedometer up and working now on that conversion? I know the PO talked about getting an axle with a VSS in it

Yes, it works. I have no idea what he did. I have a
8 3/4" differential so I'm clueless as to were the pick up os located.

The post that Dion put up has some good pics of the fuel pump and dash as well.

I know that he had changed the transmission, but I assumed it was another 46re that went in. Maybe it gets its signal from the transmission.

Last edited:
Yes, it works. I have no idea what he did. I have a
8 3/4" differential so I'm clueless as to were the pick up os located.

The post that Dion put up has some good pics of the fuel pump and dash as well.

I know that he had changed the transmission, but I assumed it was another 46re that went in. Maybe it gets its signal from the transmission.
Original swap owner Badass71 stated

"The only thing that does not operate is the speedometer because the ECM uses the sped sensor on the rear diff in the truck. My trans shifts just fine and the converter locks up just like it should. I have contemplated getting an axle from a grand Cherokee and cutting down to put in the car. It just isn't a priority. I have been living without an operating speedo now for a long time and it doesn't bother me. If I really want to know how fast I'm going I turn on my speedo app on my iPhone. The abs module has nothing to do with the operation of the transmission..."

So you can see why I'm curious how the speedometer is working

Screenshot_20191016-054642_Chrome.jpg

If it is a 46re then somebody did some magic to make that speedometer work

If it's a mechanical transmission sender that's easy to make the speedometer work but does it have OverDrive?

Last edited:

Did you buy Badass71’s old Dart??

*edit* posted this before reading the rest of this thread! LOVE that car! I have plans of replicating that swap in a 75 Scamp that I have.

Last edited:
Did you buy Badass71’s old Dart??

*edit* posted this before reading the rest of this thread! LOVE that car! I have plans of replicating that swap in a 75 Scamp that I have.
Yes I did. The previous owner/s got a bit sloppy with it, so I'm tidying it up a bit. Nothing that's going to take a lot of effort, just **** that should've been taken care of long ago. Fun car to have in the stable.

-
Back