Can someone tell me what is happening here?

-

jameybro

Reaction score
OK, so I had my car up on the lift and I was just checking things over when i noticed a drop of oil at the bottom of the rear brake drum plate on my 65 Cuda.

I pulled the wheel and hub and found this behind the axle flange!! Any thoughts on what is happening?
I'm sure I would have noticed this when i did brakes a year or so ago. How could this be getting chewed up like this?

BTW, it's an 8.75 rear if it matters.
The 2nd pic is the other side and is fine.

Attachments

• !cid_105.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 379
  • !cid_621.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 384
You can try adjusting the axle end play, but I believe you are going to find that passenger's side axle bearing is bad. If the one side is bad, you'd better do them both.

I'm thinking you'll need a axle bearing. The seal shouldn't support any load. If the seal fails the bearing behind it failed first.

No, the seal and bearing are behind that metal retainer. Grab the lug studs and try to move the axle out of center.

Does the stuff on the passenger side smell like grease? I ask because that really looks like rtv that has pushed out around the adjuster threads. Also is there a lock pawl installed? By looking at picture I'm wondering a couple of things. Possible it was leaking at one time and someone gooped up threads with sealant to stop leak or they did it to prevent adjuster from turning.

Looks to me like over the years , somebody was beating on that adjuster, when there is no need .I tighten them up by feel till you get a small bit of end play i am thinking 10 to 15 thou then you need that pointer to lock it in place .That bearing is not supposed to get any oil from the rearend i always just put a small portion of grease in each bearing , i would say it was tightened to the max and ruined the bearing Bearing number is A7 BCA, inner seal number is 8695s National. If you have these green bearings , apparently these are non adjustable , and are a sealed bearing , i personally never used them .

Pic of the lock, there might be one there , but do not see it. Lot of times it gets thrown away , people thinking it is of no use .Could have been gone for years.

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 282
Wow. As usual I realize how little I know about this stuff. Thanks for all the great help !

I didn't notice a lock pawl - mostly because I didn't know there should be one.
Where does this bolt to?

Is the adjuster 'ring' with lock available?

What's a good source for all this stuff?

I am not sure if they are reproduced or not , somebody will chime in here and let you know .And if i remember back there was a forum on here about that pointer and they were hard to get .But i am sure some one close by you will have one , i do but am thousands miles away , it goes on over one of they flange studs , keeps the adjuster from backing off. If all else fails you can make one easily.Good luck.

Year One and others have it.

You sound like another guy who could use a shop manual..........

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244981

Is this axle for certain "all original?" I've forgotten the differences, some here, and take this for what it's worth

http://www.mymopar.com/Mopar8_75RearEndGuide.htm

Section 1: Thrust Block Variations

There was a difference in thrust blocks prior to 1964 that make center section interchange, as well as axle interchange problematic. The thrust block, or "axle shaft thrust spacer", it thr block that both left and right axles butt up against inside the center of the differential. Prior to 1964, all open differentials used a thrust block was approximately 1/8" to 1/4" thicker than units made after 1964. The Sure Grip thrust block prior to 1964, however, was indentical to all 1964 and later Sure Grips and open differentials. In 1964, the thrust block width was changed to match the Sure Grip thrust block width.

This difference in thrust blocks between Sure Grip differentials and open differentials required that two different axles be produced for each 8-3/4" housing manufactured. This is true of all 1959-1963 cars with 8-3/4"s.

A 1964 and later differential, or any Sure Grip differential, cannot be used with 1959-1963 rear ends and axles originally equipped with an open differential. The original axles must be machined or original Sure Grip length axles must be used.

You sound like another guy who could use a shop manual..........

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244981

Is this axle for certain "all original?" I've forgotten the differences, some here, and take this for what it's worth

http://www.mymopar.com/Mopar8_75RearEndGuide.htm

Thanks for the input!
I'm not sure of the originality of the axle. I'm going to pull them both and see what I find. This may be the time to drop the center section and have the gears changed out too. I've had them sitting on the shelf for over a year now.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Wow. As usual I realize how little I know about this stuff. Thanks for all the great help !

I didn't notice a lock pawl - mostly because I didn't know there should be one.
Where does this bolt to?

Is the adjuster 'ring' with lock available?

What's a good source for all this stuff?

Service manual. Everyone with an older car should have one.

Service manual. Everyone with an older car should have one.

I actually do have one. I just wasn't sure what I was seeing and the section about the adjustment ring was somewhat was somewhat obscure until you guys educated me.

BTW, I see your from sw Houston. I'm right here in Rosharon, just south of Pearland & Manvel.

-
Back