Can the power steering pump be rebuilt?

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
Was curious if theh have any rebuild kits out there for the power steering pump on a 71 scamp. Id rather do that then buy a new one tryin to save some cash. The pump is leaking all over the driveway.
Shane

Yup, Check Rock Auto for kits.

Is the leak from the tank, shaft, cracked filler neck at tank, or fill cap bad seal?

My pump was a drooling mess. It has several problems: cracked connection between tank and filler neck allowing any fluid above its level to ooze out that I soldered up; “O” ring sealing tank to body of pump was old & hard; and someone had used the wrong size bolt that holds the back of the tank to the bracket so it would not snug up. The pump shaft oil seals were fine.

I purchased a large “O” ring packed three to a bag for about 3 bucks from a place that sells bearings. The rest of the fix was no cost as I had solder, degreaser, and paint on hand.

Not sure where on the pump its leaking havent taken it off yet but its def pissin out pretty good every ween i have to fill it back up

mine was leaking out the shaft seal. the shaft was worm at the seal and a new seal wouldnt stop the leak. i had to weld up the shaft and get it machined to stop the leak. good luck with yours.

I dunno about a 63, but we just got a rebuilt for a 69; $35 local. think it was advanced auto. Again only know late 60's ones, but only 2 made; federal or saginaw, only diff is mounts, and they are close enough.

Napa send mine in for rebuild. Don't remember cost

If the pump is still good but leaks, NAPA has the seals. If the pump is bad, get a rebuild.

Absolutely not. Nobody's ever done that before.

Wow..I was told it was more expensive to build a mopar than most other brands, apparently Jim set the trend.

The Carquest rebuild kit had all the bit's n' pieces, I think it was $8, but it may have been $15. All I used out of it was the body o-ring and now the rest is scattered.

Stupid question here : are you sure that the leak isn't from the high pressure hose ? Return hose ? Gear box itself ?

If you do end up buying a replacement pump , make absolute certain to keep your p.s. cap , especially if it's the not-reproduced cap (made by Stant , coated with a heavy coat of gloss black , and is sans built-in dipstick).

If you do end up buying a replacement pump , make absolute certain to keep your p.s. cap , especially if it's the not-reproduced cap

Yes good point. Those caps are the Holy Grail.

-
Back