Can you make hedman headers fit in an a body with an RB?

-
...........I have done a 74 duster with a 440.......it is a very tight fit, but if u take ur time u can do a really nice job with alittle heat and some round pipe to make gentle curves.........u absolutely need a manual steering box.........kim.........my car started life as a 360 4 gear car....

Go to big block dart .com and look at there tech section for the very instructions you need.

Go to big block dart .com and look at there tech section for the very instructions you need.

all they say for the hedmans is that they will fit well in a low deck with just a small dings nothing about raised deck... i tried to make them fit when i was mocking up my 440 so i assume they would need cut up but mopar muscle makes it appear as though they just fit. i know chances are slim for that though lol

I am thinking about trying to fit my hedmans with a 440 in a 70 Dart. I got them with the drivers side pretty well smashed up from a guy who did his best to make them fit with a low deck and gave up. I am more concerned about the passenger side fitting with no modifications as I know I will be working on the drivers side.

The thing about the taller deck is that with the wider overall motor, the exhaust ports are also higher (yeah, we all know that). This gives a different set of clearances and in some cases things are better, not worse. If I were trying to fit those headers it would be with a motor/trans and k-member installed and nothing else. No exhaust studs in the heads (yeah, we probably all know that, too). Then see how they fit the engine compartment and work from there.

Your gonna have to get a little dirty for the details.

LOL, your kidding me right?!

It means get your hands dirty by trying to do the job without actually knowing the result and making it fit. Just like we used to do before the internet.

LOL, your kidding me right?!

It means get your hands dirty by trying to do the job without actually knowing the result and making it fit. Just like we used to do before the internet.

oh okay i thought you meant to find out from the guy who has the dart in the article.. i was like wtf?!? lol sorry i was a little slow there

They will work with a (little) massaging and a BFH.......................................Jeff
I did this a few years back on a 69 swinger no ps or pb 4 gear.....good luck

They will work with a (little) massaging and a BFH.......................................Jeff
I did this a few years back on a 69 swinger no ps or pb 4 gear.....good luck

any tips? did you have to have the torsion bars out of the car? thanks!

Pardon the interuption....Slight hijack here...

Does this mean when I finally get around to building my 68 Bcuda ragtop into a 383, that I will have to lose the power steering?

Pardon the interuption....Slight hijack here...

Does this mean when I finally get around to building my 68 Bcuda ragtop into a 383, that I will have to lose the power steering?

you dont have to only if you use shitty cheap headers like me lol i know the schumacher headers allow you to still run power steering but they are fairly expensive if you run b body hp manifolds im pretty sure you can keep power steering as well

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/BRB_Headers.html

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/HPman.shtml

I just did the headman headers with a 440. they hit everything on drivers side. I ended up cutting and welding. they hit the steering box , shaft and column.pass side fit ok just had to make a small dent for torsion bar. after all the mod's im not %100 happy with them but for the money I cant complain.

I just did the headman headers with a 440. they hit everything on drivers side. I ended up cutting and welding. they hit the steering box , shaft and column.pass side fit ok just had to make a small dent for torsion bar. after all the mod's im not %100 happy with them but for the money I cant complain.

Power or manual steering box? What type of engine mounts? I'm tempted to try this. Any chance you could post some pictures to show what interfered where?

Man steering. Spool mounts . I'll see if I can down load my pics off my phone. The drivers side sucked. Pass side was a breeze. Little heat and hammer time for torsion bar.

Thank you for the pictures. Now that I see the pipe placement in relation to everything I see it's not as easy a modification as I thought it might be. I'm no welder, and none of my friends weld good enough for me to trust that the pipes would be sealed on the first try. Also I'm really not liking the idea of pulling the engine back out of the car. I think I will wait until I have enough money for the Schumacher headers.

This is great information, thank you for saving me a headache, and there probably are plenty of guys on here who are capable of doing this work that will benefit from your experience.

-
Back