cant find drums for my 8 3/4

-

scampman318

Reaction score
hey im having issues finding drums for my car. I bought a used 8 3/4 741 rear end from a swap meet. The car came with 10 x 2ich rear drums. No matter what car i search i cant find that 10 x2 drum. My question is can i go with a 2 1/2 drum ? or would just getting 10 by 2 1/2 pads make it work or would i run into some kind of problem. Any suggestions would be nice Im pretty close to getting this car on the road. ps a model and make would be nice with the drums i need for my car would be helpful. the car that rear end is in is my 76 plymouth scamp

I believe the 2 1/2 inch drums would hit the backing plates. I think these are paired parts.

The majority of 10X2.5 brakes are large bolt pattern.

Small bolt pattern 10" drums are called 1 3/4", and the backing plates only work with those drums. You could find these at the site megapartsusa last time I searched for them, but it was a few years ago. Another route is to grab everything from an 8 1/4, and buy some big bolt axles.
Mike

you could use b body 10 x2.5 if you get the matching backing plates. if you want small bolt pattern you can re drill them

I dont think they would fit with backing plates for 11x2" but if you want to try the 11x2.5" the drums at napa are part number 440-1168 and are the finned ones. (just bought a set) Oh they are 5x4.5" lbp

hey im having issues finding drums for my car. I bought a used 8 3/4 741 rear end from a swap meet. The car came with 10 x 2ich rear drums. No matter what car i search i cant find that 10 x2 drum. My question is can i go with a 2 1/2 drum ? or would just getting 10 by 2 1/2 pads make it work or would i run into some kind of problem. Any suggestions would be nice Im pretty close to getting this car on the road. ps a model and make would be nice with the drums i need for my car would be helpful. the car that rear end is in is my 76 plymouth scamp

what is the rear you bought out of? is it small or large bolt pattern?

you cant use a different "width" drum without changing the backing plates to match them.

They are large bolt pattern. thanks more suggestions would be nice i really would like to avoid changing the backing plates but the easyiest route would be nice.

do you have any drums for it now? are there any shoes? how wide is the braking material on them? you said its large bolt pattern, was it redrilled from small bolt pattern or are they stock lbp axles?(not aftermarket)
I know, a lot of questions, but they all make a difference!
and pictures always help!

The car has after market axles on them because they are drilled for both bolt patterns. I dont want to go back to the small bolt patter for wheel issues. The drums that are on there when i got the car were measured 10 x 2 ich and there are no shoes on there. The drums are also drilled for small bolt pattern. Maybe I can find the old material shoes somewhere i think i put them to the side because they were pretty trashed. Thanks for the help

If your rear drums are SBP they are for 10X1 7/8" brakes. To use 10X2 1/2" LBP brakes you will need to swap the backing plates. Fortunately these can be found on any B/E body, truck/van, C body, Volare/Aspen/Diplomat/5th Avenue/Gran Fury, from 1965 on with an 8 1/4", 8 3/4", 9 1/4", or Dana 60. You can also find them on '73-'76 A body 8 1/4" rears. The only ones that won't work are from a 7 1/4" rear because the axle ends are different. Grab the E brake levers and the bar that goes from shoe to shoe since these are getting hard to find new. Hope this helps.

If your rear drums are SBP they are for 10X1 7/8" brakes. To use 10X2 1/2" LBP brakes you will need to swap the backing plates. Fortunately these can be found on any B/E body, truck/van, C body, Volare/Aspen/Diplomat/5th Avenue/Gran Fury, from 1965 on with an 8 1/4", 8 3/4", 9 1/4", or Dana 60. You can also find them on '73-'76 A body 8 1/4" rears. The only ones that won't work are from a 7 1/4" rear because the axle ends are different. Grab the E brake levers and the bar that goes from shoe to shoe since these are getting hard to find new. Hope this helps.

you just drill the 5th stud hole is all, no big deal.

OK, I'm going to start a thread with some information about the go to guy for Mopar brakes. His name is Craig Studnick, and he is based out of New Jersey. Don't bother looking for a web page for him because he is off the grid, but he knows Mopar brakes like no other. His number is (516)-485-1935. He has the drums, and a host of other parts for Mopar brakes from all years starting in the 40's and going all the way up through the 80's and probably beyond. He is a wealth of information, he will talk your ear off, and he has the parts to back up the info. Give him a call, he'll help you out. Geof

-
Back