Car won't crank

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought a 74 Valiant 4 door with a 318. The car has been sitting but not long. I put a battery in it and when you turn on the key all lights and accessories work but it doesn't even try to turn over. The starter doesn't make any noise and it just doesn't try. I am gonna try to get it running before I do the V8 swap into my Duster. What could it be I hope I gave enough info. If not let me know. Thanks guys.

have you tried to jump it at the starter relay switch....check to see that the nuetral safety switch is hooked up to the tans...

on the left inner fender is a starter relay. The yellow wire should get power when the switch is turned to the start position. Check it with a test light and if it is getting power , the relay should click. If it doesnt't click short its small brown wire to ground ( which is all the neutral safety switch does ) and try the switch again. Be aware that this would allow starting in gear.
We have to get the relay to work and send power to the starter before we test any further.

Ok I will try that. I just found a new ignition switch in the trunk could that be the culprit?

Ok I will try that. I just found a new ignition switch in the trunk could that be the culprit?

yea that could be...but try to jump the selonoid first like these others are saying.......to see if starter ingages

Not to sound to dumb but I really don't know alot about anything under the hood of a Mopar what does the starter relay look like? I have been a Mopar guy all my life but never got to own one for myself, I always helped my buddies with their Chebbies.

No such thing as a dumb question here........it should be by the battery....and has like 5 wires going to it.......

The starter relay looks like this. (Clean, and without wires on it)
Starter%20Relay%20-%20Automatic%20001.jpg

It should be to the left of the battery, attached to the inner fender.

Well I'm a not exactly sure what it was but today I went out and flopped down real hard in the driver seat and it turned over first try. Then I put a little gas in the carb and it fired right up and ran for a second then shut off when it ran out of fuel. So this sounds promising. Thanks guys.

-
Back