Carburetor Choice for my Dart

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
So I have a 69 Dart 360 with a mild Hughes cam HEH2328AL which is 501/521 lift 223/228 @ .050 duration. I think I installed it at 104 or 106, I don't remember now. 2.02 J heads, LD-340 intake, 727 Frank Lupo 10.5 inch 3500 convertor. 3.21 rear. It has A/C, P/S, P/D brakes. So it is a cruiser. For several years I've had a 1406 Edelbrock 600 on it which has done the job except that I let it sit to long and the low speed circuit gets gummed up and I have to rebuild it.
I thought about FI but really can't get excited about it. So I'm going to buy a new carb for it and was leaning towards a Edelbrock AVS-2 650. But thought I would get some feedback from you guys on what you suggest?

I think that combo would love a 750 Double Pumper. QF, Holley, Brawler, all would work. I've heard good things about the 650 AVS, but haven't experienced one ... yet.

Only question is - how long before this turns into a Holley vs Edelbrock thread.

Personally, I'd drop a 650 or 750 Holley DP on it and call it good.

I really like the avs2 annular boosters. Supposed to be a big boost in low to midrange torque. A holley could work great for you too, obviously, but if you like the way the eddy runs, i'd stick with them.
A 650 avs 2 would be my choice.

Anything between 600 & 750 would be just fine. The difference is;

The smaller carb will have a slightly better throttle response BUT may not produce the same power on the same amount of pedal travel vs the 750.

The 750 will have a greater top end amount of HP power vs the smaller carb but only a few HP. Will you feel it? Probably. Will it seem like a lot? Possibly. The HP difference on a dyno maybe only 10 HP at this build level. But it will also show throughout the curve as a slight gain.

For a street cruiser, the AVS (II or not) is a hard carb to beat for it’s manors & jet it/set it/forget it operation. My older 600 Edelbrock AVS is an excellent street driving carb. Just spray the air bleeds at the boosters base once a n a while to keep it good.

On Holley’s, I do love me a double pumped on my manual trans rides. At WOT, they hit really nice.

I've put Holley 750 D pump mech secondary on every Chrysler I've ever owned. Never had a issue.

750 for sure. What brand? I don't think it matters anymore as they all have mfg. problems. I hope you get a good one.

How much cylinder pressure do you have?

I have a 367, and at one time, I ran the FTH version of that cam. I liked it a lot! Made a lotta lotta tire-frying torque with it, and it was easy on gas.
I ran Carters from an AVS to a TQ and Holleys from 600 to 750s. It liked them all, but the 750DP was what stayed on there. But ....... I ran over 180psi cranking cylinder pressure .
With open-chamber iron heads,you are sorta limited to 160psi, and the bigger carbs while making more absolute power at some higher rpm, will likely be a lil mushy at lower rpms..... but your 3500TC has that covered.
On the street, I would suggest to just run whatever you have; carbs cost too much to play around with nowadays.

If you need more power; figure out at what speed and rpm, then gear your car accordingly.

I run a fuel-stabilizer to prevent gumming up.

You should come ride in my truck so you can see how the Street demon does. I took a 1406 off just to get the Demon running and see how it would run. That's been three years ago.

In 1973 I faced one of the biggest decisions of my life. I had enough money to buy a 780 Holley for $49.95 or take my girlfriend to the Led Zeplin concert. The carb won out as I figured it would last much longer than my gf. But in the end she bought the tickets so it was a win win deal. Carb prices have gone stupid high. 800.00 for a Holley 4777?

In 1973 I faced one of the biggest decisions of my life. I had enough money to buy a 780 Holley for $49.95 or take my girlfriend to the Led Zeplin concert. The carb won out as I figured it would last much longer than my gf. But in the end she bought the tickets so it was a win win deal. Carb prices have gone stupid high. 800.00 for a Holley 4777?

It's crazy man. Crazy.

Black Friday is coming up soon and so is Christmas. I bought my Holley Street Demons for $280 each on a Christmas sale last year... You get the holley name and it works kind of like an Edelbrock and tunes like an Edelbrock but goes on the theory of a thermoquad...
Holley squirter and secondary Jets Edelbrock Springs and accelerator pump and standalone rods and primary Jets..
I haven't heard of anybody that was disappointed with one. Smaller primaries triple stacked 4 great off idle acceleration and fuel mileage with a massive secondary door for yeehaw...

Black Friday is coming up soon and so is Christmas. I bought my Holley Street Demons for $280 each on a Christmas sale last year... You get the holley name and it works kind of like an Edelbrock and tunes like an Edelbrock but goes on the theory of a thermoquad...
Holley squirter and secondary Jets Edelbrock Springs and accelerator pump and standalone rods and primary Jets..
I haven't heard of anybody that was disappointed with one. Smaller primaries triple stacked 4 great off idle acceleration and fuel mileage with a massive secondary door for yeehaw...
What size Demon and what did you put it on?

^^^ oh yeah and I sold each one of my Edelbrock carburetors actually one was a Carter performance for a hundred and fifty each on Craigslist. So in all reality I paid $260 for both carburetors brand new after I sold the old Edelbrocks...
Bow to the awesomeness of the mighty Holley Street Demon... LOL..
IMG_20200908_165151.jpg

Engine masters did a cheapo carb comparo,750 cfm, and they all did well. None of the three (or was it four?) was over $400.
Want a holley style 750 double pumper? Quick fuel Brawler, $456.

Last edited:
Doing some reading on the Street Demon. But I don’t see where they have the mopar linkage bracket for it? Is it the same Holley one?

The car actually had a Holley 650 DP on it many years ago. What I remember about it ran good.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

You can use a ProForm, a QF Brawler, an FST...damn I forget the series but you can get the FST 650 DP with no choke for well under 500 bucks IF they ever get off back order.

Also, never buy a carb based on CFR rating. But it using the venturi diameter. What you need is something with a 1.350ish venturi and a 1.687 throttle bore.

This is something most can not grasp because there so used to a cfm rating.

-
Back