Cast or Alum.heads for racing.

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
What does everyone think is better for a racing engine?Cast W2 heads or the Eddy RPM aluminum heads?I was talking to an old friend(engine machinist)and he was telling me to go with some cast heads,he said the aluminum ones don,t like the heat(crack)when put on a cast block.I,m thinking about building another stroker motor,but need some other opinions on the cast (W2) heads.Any help?Thanks.

P.S Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.:toothy10:

I would go with the cast heads and have them ported and worked and use a cam that can work the head 100%.The eddy heads are good,if you have a big cube motor and 600-700 lift of cam,if not,use dthe cast units,mrmopartech

I would go with the cast heads and have them ported and worked and use a cam that can work the head 100%.The eddy heads are good,if you have a big cube motor and 600-700 lift of cam,if not,use dthe cast units,mrmopartech

it is just the opposite..the w2 have bigger ports and can be ported to out flow the eddies...and require larger cams and more rpms ...

question is how fast do you want to go and how much money do you have?

depending on what version of the w2 you have or can get the cost of the rocker arms can be around 1000 bucks.....plus offset shafts..and stands..

w2 econos can save money some money on shafts since they are drilled on center and no stands are required...

you need w2 headers and intake..

eddies can be easliy ported to flow over 290 cfm... existing rockers...intake, headers can be reused...

there are Indy alumnium heads, high dollar w-8 and w-9 heads....

there a cast heads from EQ based on the magnums...and now RHS/Indy has a new cast head that looks promising but no one has gotten their hands on them yet.

again...how fast do you want to go and how much do you want to spend?

agreed the w2s out flow the edelbrocks out of the box i have never heard of aluminum heads on a cast iron block cracking because of the heat i mean car companies have been putting aluminum heads on cast blocks for at least 30 years and had warrentys to stand behind their work its up to you really i think there is nothing like an oval port small block if its good enough for herb mcandliss and nascar its good enough for me

the aluminum edelbrocks are little more that aluminum versions of the cast x's or j's they are a good head dont get me wrong but you can throw them on a stock 318 with a 4bbl and it will be fine

I,d like to run low 11,s and I,d be happy,high 10,s would be nice but also cost more?I,m going to Moparfest on Aug 15-16 and hope to find a deal on some heads.AARCuda what should I look for(damaged,cracked)on an Aluminum head?This is if I run across a pair of used ones,cause I seen a few pairs last year.If I can pick some up for 1/2 price used,that would be nice to have extra money for a bigger cam and better intake.I don,t like my Torker II,and will be selling asap.

My buds ol'all steel 69 Dart, 340 roller stroker 392/W-2 's full port, low 10's on stock 6 cyl. rear springs and T bars. Melo enuff to drive everyday and he did.
If your going racing, and you wanna get serious, you start w/W-2's.
The Edelbrocks are excellent for what they are, a stock replacement aluminum head.

OH, W-2 heads can be used preety much as cast, no porting, on a 360 and remain extremly streetable and torquey.

What does everyone think is better for a racing engine?Cast W2 heads or the Eddy RPM aluminum heads?I was talking to an old friend(engine machinist)and he was telling me to go with some cast heads,he said the aluminum ones don,t like the heat(crack)when put on a cast block.I,m thinking about building another stroker motor,but need some other opinions on the cast (W2) heads.Any help?Thanks.

P.S Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
:toothy10: my72 dart has cast j heads they are 202's and are ported , my friend bill is running a 69 dart with alum.mopar heads I believe they are the same as eldo. rpm's. we have match raced 7 times in the last 2 mo. I took 6 of those races, the only 1 I lost I gave him a .5 head start. I think the cast are just as good as the alum. ones. send to a good machine shop. and you will be alright, and they are a lot stronger if you put nitrus to them. good luck Gary. and both cars are almost setup identical.

the aluminum edelbrocks are little more that aluminum versions of the cast x's or j's they are a good head dont get me wrong but you can throw them on a stock 318 with a 4bbl and it will be fine

he is asking about a head for racing ...not a head for a 318.

my 71 dart 360 with cnc ported eddies..has run 11.00 at 2000+ elevation with the DA over 3000....It is a bracket racer.

I would say the car could run 10.80s easy at sea level.

yes...a fully ported w2 head will out run a fully ported edddy..

again...how much do you want to spend?

:toothy10: my72 dart has cast j heads they are 202's and are ported , my friend bill is running a 69 dart with alum.mopar heads I believe they are the same as eldo. rpm's. we have match raced 7 times in the last 2 mo. I took 6 of those races, the only 1 I lost I gave him a .5 head start. I think the cast are just as good as the alum. ones. send to a good machine shop. and you will be alright, and they are a lot stronger if you put nitrus to them. good luck Gary. and both cars are almost setup identical.
My 340 in my 73 Dart Sport has a small stroke(372)with X heads P@P when it was dynoed it put out 452hp,440ftlbs.or torque.Maybe I should start looking for another pair of X or J heads,I,d like around 550hp.

I've got a set of cast j heads, were on a 11 second car (cuda). Need some cleaning but very usable. I took them of about 8 years ago and never used them. Want them, anything to trade?

he is asking about a head for racing ...not a head for a 318.

my 71 dart 360 with cnc ported eddies..has run 11.00 at 2000+ elevation with the DA over 3000....It is a bracket racer.

I would say the car could run 10.80s easy at sea level.

yeah i got ya my point in saying that is you dont have to have a big cube motor or a huge cam to run the aluminum eddys they work fine in a mild race or stock street engine

My 340 in my 73 Dart Sport has a small stroke(372)with X heads P@P when it was dynoed it put out 452hp,440ftlbs.or torque.Maybe I should start looking for another pair of X or J heads,I,d like around 550hp.

if your wanting another set of x's or j's i would just run the eddys that way you could run a little more comprssion on the same octane vs iron heads

cast or aluminum really depends on fuel and compression. cast will detonate where aluminum wont. aluminum will allow an extra compression point like 11 to 1 instead of 10 to 1 on pump gas.head choice depends on the whole package.

I've got a set of cast j heads, were on a 11 second car (cuda). Need some cleaning but very usable. I took them of about 8 years ago and never used them. Want them, anything to trade?
Hey Roman!You know what I have for trade.LOL.Come and get this rearend stuFF.????????Also have 3.23 for 8 1/4.

The W-2 head solved the pushrod pinch problem that limits the potential of the standard LA head including the Eddy by relocating them and thus allowing for bigger, better flowing ports. Why spend big bucks modifying heads to get to flow #'s the W-2's already have, just start with W-2's ! Stroker with big carb, Victor W-2 intake, W-2 econo's, roller cam.......

High 10's Low 11's
J heads heads are good enough brother.
Obviously with quite abit of port work but they will do just fine!

The W-2 head solved the pushrod pinch problem that limits the potential of the standard LA head including the Eddy by relocating them and thus allowing for bigger, better flowing ports. Why spend big bucks modifying heads to get to flow #'s the W-2's already have, just start with W-2's ! Stroker with big carb, Victor W-2 intake, W-2 econo's, roller cam.......

In this case, you may also want to consider Indybrock heads. I am not bias. I have the Indybrocks, the W2s and the W5s. It just really depends what you want to do with your build and the money available to achieve it. BTW: I am enjoying reading everyone's opinions in this thread. Keep them coming.

You're current engine should get you to the 11.50 range.

If you are starting from scratch you could use either.

W2's cost bucks in ancilliary stuff. Good rockers, special headers and intake are expensive. You have long and short valve units, race, econo, blah blah blah.... Buy the wrong ones or the ones that had casting issues and you'll never see the end of your issues.

Ede's a are good because there's a ton of stuff out there that works easily with them. No specialized parts required. Everyday LA parts bolt right on. Find a set used, spend 800-1000 getting them cleaned up and ported, you have heads capable of 550-600hp.

If you are ever on moparts, look up member Sloan... They have a 394 SB, not cammed crazy with ported ede in a black 69 Cuda. Car runs 10.60's in good air.
DougsCuda.jpg

If you want to start making more than 600hp, there are better choices than w2's now.

There isn't a wrong answer, it's what you want to use and $ to spend on it.

-
Back