changing colors 71 dart 1 man home resto.

-
Thanks 340. On the main section and light housings I just shot the silver and waited for it to fully dry(2-3 weeks) then taped up and sprayed black. The key is letting the silver dry and not loading up paint where not needed. I like the Rustoleum silver because it doesn't have the metallic look. I tried several different brands. I did tape the parking lights before the silver to cover the clear lens.

I'm glad you told me that, about waiting several weeks for it to fully dry before taping off and hitting it with the black. I tend to get impatient and want to hurry the process along too quickly to put the car back together so I can get back on the road.
Think this will be a Spring 2010 project. BTW, the trim looks great, too. My GT doesn't have that rear trunk deck piece; suppose it's a 1970 Swinger thing?

Man, u keep movin along like this and you'll definitely be drivin to Garlits next year. I like your use of Bud Light in restoring trim. It helps to steady the hands.

I see some handy work being dun here homecloned :thumbrig:
The grill and running lights took a allot of patients and they look perfect :cheers:
Your handy work on the trim really caught my eye :tongue9: job well dun sir :rock:
Good to see you made a nother day for you and your Dart to be together =D>

Thank you memike. I do like going out in the garage each morning and getting that fresh look.=P~

Hello Everyone, I am new to this great site and would like to share some of my restoration progress for anyone interested. My current project is a 71 dart swinger that came from Canada. It was origionally a 318 car but now has a 340. The green paint job and panel replacements were porley done and rust was starting to show in the usual areas. I will be doing all work myself, at home, in my garage. Reading the Worst Body Job Ever thread made me thankfull I can tackle this. I will start with some pics at the current state and update daily. Many Thanks, NDK

I will also be listing some 68-69 dart metal in the next day or so.

Remember this?I hope this helps you to appreciate all the great work you have done on the Dart.She's lookin real purdy!Lookin forward to seeing some more of your talents.8)

I'm glad you told me that, about waiting several weeks for it to fully dry before taping off and hitting it with the black. I tend to get impatient and want to hurry the process along too quickly to put the car back together so I can get back on the road.
Think this will be a Spring 2010 project. BTW, the trim looks great, too. My GT doesn't have that rear trunk deck piece; suppose it's a 1970 Swinger thing?

Letting the silver dry will make sure the tape doesn't mess it up. I should have waited longer when I did my dash.

My car didn't come with it but I found the pieces here on FABO. The main piece came from a 73 I think.

Man, u keep movin along like this and you'll definitely be drivin to Garlits next year. I like your use of Bud Light in restoring trim. It helps to steady the hands.

Bud Light is a must.8) I dont know about driving it to Garlits next year, the 3:91 winds it pretty high. :toothy10:

Remember this?I hope this helps you to appreciate all the great work you have done on the Dart.She's lookin real purdy!Lookin forward to seeing some more of your talents.8)

Thanks for sharing that little piece of history. 8)

That is why I have to jump around on it so it looks like I am getting somewhere.

Is it beer thirty yet? :-D

Homecloned. I see your car slowing going from green to orange, but you dont show any pics of that. I am wondering what you are using for paint. Spray bomb or compressor? one piece at a time? What type of paint? Reason I ask is this is how I am planning on painting my car. then once complete and put back together a coat or two to make sure it matches. I guess my biggest problem is knowning how much paint to mix for the parts I am painting. Also on the door jams, are you removing the doors?
LAst but the most important. You are doing a great job. The car is looking awsome. I am going to follow this close because it looks like my car has some things in common with yours. Thanks for sharing your project with all of us.

Wow! Homecloned, The chrome looks brand new! How in the hell did you get it so straight? You know my tables at home look just like this sometimes/all the time.

DSC00025 (Custom).JPG

Homecloned. I see your car slowing going from green to orange, but you dont show any pics of that. I am wondering what you are using for paint. Spray bomb or compressor? one piece at a time? What type of paint? Reason I ask is this is how I am planning on painting my car. then once complete and put back together a coat or two to make sure it matches. I guess my biggest problem is knowning how much paint to mix for the parts I am painting. Also on the door jams, are you removing the doors?
LAst but the most important. You are doing a great job. The car is looking awsome. I am going to follow this close because it looks like my car has some things in common with yours. Thanks for sharing your project with all of us.
Thanks HemiPar.
I painted some parts while I had them off the car, I was waiting to finish wet sanding and buffing to post pics. I am doing this in my garage and driveway. I know it is not the best way but my finished product sould look good. I am still doing some work on the c-pillars and then will paint the back. It will get a vinyl top so that will make it easier to shoot.

I am spraying with a crapsman 22 gal 5hp upright with moisture traps at the output and the gun. I bought some cheap HLVP spray guns, it took a bit getting use to them as I have used syphon feed up till now.
Paint is a base clear Limco/U-POL.

It is getting wet sanded and buffed when done.

I need to paint the dash again after some modification.

Did I mention my motto: "If you want anything done right, do it TWICE"....or more.:-D

Dang ADHD:toothy7:

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00005 (Custom).JPG

Wow! Homecloned, The chrome looks brand new! How in the hell did you get it so straight? You know my tables at home look just like this sometimes/all the time.

Thanks overrever, actually I am still messing with it. I have been using that piece of aluminum and a chisel that I ground the tip round and polished up. Then just tap the low spots from the back side and sand smooth in the front.
I just cleaned my bench off for the pic.:-D

Thanks HemiPar.
I painted some parts while I had them off the car, I was waiting to finish wet sanding and buffing to post pics. I am doing this in my garage and driveway. I know it is not the best way but my finished product sould look good. I am still doing some work on the c-pillars and then will paint the back. It will get a vinyl top so that will make it easier to shoot.

I am spraying with a crapsman 22 gal 5hp upright with moisture traps at the output and the gun. I bought some cheap HLVP spray guns, it took a bit getting use to them as I have used syphon feed up till now.
Paint is a base clear Limco/U-POL.

It is getting wet sanded and buffed when done.

I need to paint the dash again after some modification.

Did I mention my motto: "If you want anything done right, do it TWICE"....or more.:-D

Dang ADHD:toothy7:

I got that same HVLP set up for primers and found that with a little mix and match on tips and caps it works great for base. Found that out early one morning when I dropped my 10 gun and cracked the cap nut...was in a pinch: I needed it now! :-D

I got that same HVLP set up for primers and found that with a little mix and match on tips and caps it works great for base. Found that out early one morning when I dropped my 10 gun and cracked the cap nut...was in a pinch: I needed it now! :-D

I was just thinking that I wouldn't know how to act with anything good.

I do need to invest in a good one for clear. But for now wet sanding will have to do.

thanks homecloned. you give me confidence I can do it to. that is my plan. Who needs a paint booth when i have a garage and driveway.

thanks homecloned. you give me confidence I can do it to. that is my plan. Who needs a paint booth when i have a garage and driveway.

If you can use a spray gun and know the basics, why not. I have seen cars come out of paint booths that look like crap.
I will be posting more on the painting in the coming weeks.

Good call on color combo's. My 69 below, as of this morning, been restoring it since 1997! It's now known as the "garage queen".

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

You had replied to my earlier question that you had used a Meguire's polish on the instrument lenses to clean them up. My question was actually related to how you cleaned up the gauge faces (the metal part) themselves. The "before" pictures showed what looked like some minor surface rust, or maybe just dirt and crud. What did you do to clean up the faces? they turned out to look like brand spankin' new. Nice work.

You had replied to my earlier question that you had used a Meguire's polish on the instrument lenses to clean them up. My question was actually related to how you cleaned up the gauge faces (the metal part) themselves. The "before" pictures showed what looked like some minor surface rust, or maybe just dirt and crud. What did you do to clean up the faces? they turned out to look like brand spankin' new. Nice work.

It just had to dust them with a firm paint brush. The only rust I had on them was the depth rings? that fill the gap between the guage and lense. I did repaint the needles with flo.orange spray paint.
Thanks

Here are some pics to share of progress being made.
Cam and lifters are in, new oil pump and drive and all new bearings and rings. This was just a freshion up and nothing was machined. I know I know, if you are going to rebuild it, BUILD it. But I dont want a race car and this thing is plenty quick for city driving. I painted blue to off set the orange. I will still rebuild the Carter carb but it is sitting on the 273 at the moment.
I had a problem with oil pressure when I got the car, 5 at idle. I was amazed to say the least at how freely the new oil pump spun compared the the stock one that has some serious gunk build up.
The heads are stock 360 heads of unknown origion. I has 1.88-1.60 valves. Everything on this car was done cheaply for resale back about 10 years ago up in Canada. As I mentioned earlier it is origionally a 318 car but I have no fender tag to see everything it came with. It did come with bucket seats and a console and maybe the 3.91 sur-grip in it. It looks origional down there. The hood is not origional and I will put the vinyl top back on.
I should be getting the fuel pump eccentric from daredevil today and will finish installing the cover and water pump.

I also score this manifold from a FABO member, sorry I cant remember it was a long time ago but thank you for what I feel is was a good deal. I also scored the water filler neck from 416stroker. Thanks.

DSC00020 (Custom).JPG

DSC00024 (Custom).JPG

DSC00025 (Custom).JPG

DSC00001 (Custom).JPG

DSC00004 (Custom).JPG

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

Look at you go Noel :cheers:
Nice price on the intake and I see =P~
Sorry so short bud, I have been exercising and just got dun walking a mile on the tread mill, Time for another shower
The blue will look good :-D Nize choice :cheers:

Thanks Mike.

Here is some more things i've gotten done.

First to turn the heat on.

Hade some munged up tail light housings. Had to drill 3 rusted screws out.
Over sized the holes and filled with JB weld. I will drill and tap with a 8-32 tap and install stainless screws.

DSC00016 (Custom).JPG

DSC00015 (Custom).JPG

DSC00017 (Custom).JPG

DSC00019 (Custom).JPG

DSC00020 (Custom).JPG

DSC00021 (Custom).JPG

DSC00022 (Custom).JPG

DSC00023 (Custom).JPG

DSC00024 (Custom).JPG

DSC00026 (Custom).JPG

-
Back