changing colors 71 dart 1 man home resto.

-
What a great job on the dash resto bud :tongue9::blob::thumbrig:
I see you have some great skills going on here =D>
The valve covers look great and I have learned a few thinks here on this thread :-k
You must be very proud of the work you have got dun homecloned
You sure have thing moving right along bud :rock:

I still can't get over how nice you got the dash looking, and the wrinkle job in the BBQ grill :colors:
Keep up the outstanding work and remember to enjoy every moment you get to spend on your Dart.
Man you sure have been busy, and getting things dun.:colors:

Thank you memike. here are some GRILL update pics.:-D

DSC00018 (Custom).JPG

DSC00022 (Custom).JPG

DSC00023 (Custom).JPG

DSC00025 (Custom).JPG

DSC00005 (Custom).JPG

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00010 (Custom).JPG

DSC00014 (Custom).JPG

DSC00040 (Custom).JPG

homecloned, you are doing an outstanding job on the car. i hope your back heels fast so that we can see more of your great work here. And thanks for the inspration to get off my a$$ and get something done.

Mounted the headlights last night. I still need to paint the signal light covers. The paint crazed in a couple of very small spots but will be fixable once it cures.
Check out the factory correct hood pins I scored on fee-bay, NEW shipped with the gaskets for my go-wing also NEW.......... $28. Sweet 8)

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00005 (Custom).JPG

DSC00007 (Custom).JPG

DSC00008 (Custom).JPG

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

homecloned, you are doing an outstanding job on the car. i hope your back heels fast so that we can see more of your great work here. And thanks for the inspration to get off my a$$ and get something done.

Thanks HemiPar. I am doing some of the light weight stuff untill better. I am close to painting the rear of the car(which I have been doing in sections, in the garage) Everything is getting wet sanded and buffed, so it will work doing it thes way.
I need to finish the dash and install so I can put the windshield back in.

She's looking great!The grill looks like new.Little at a time and before ya know it you'll be cruisin.8)

Front moving through, lots of rain. Here are some things I have gotten done.
I finished the underside of the hood. This was a PITA! I started it a couple months ago but agravated a herneated disc in my neck/back and and could do no more. The last two days were spent getting rid of the rust. This was pitted some but I did not fix any of that just OSPHA and 4 coats of Rustoleum satin black. Not for the purist, but I like it. The engine bay will be painted body color.
Next step will be to reinstall so I can drill for the hood pins and then paint.:cheers:

DSC00004 (Custom).JPG

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

DSC00010 (Custom).JPG

DSC00016 (Custom).JPG

Coming along nicely, Noel. Just a thought, and you can tell me to kiss my *** if you want, but have you thought off maybe scratching down Rustoleum black, sealing it off, and shooting it body color? I know you like the black, it does look good right there (it's your car, the purists be damned) but it could be another route to think about.

Coming along nicely, Noel. Just a thought, and you can tell me to kiss my *** if you want, but have you thought off maybe scratching down Rustoleum black, sealing it off, and shooting it body color? I know you like the black, it does look good right there (it's your car, the purists be damned) but it could be another route to think about.

I have thought about that. If I have enough paint left over after shooting the rest of the car I might readdress it. This stops the bleeding for now and I can reinstall it.

I have thought about that. If I have enough paint left over after shooting the rest of the car I might readdress it. This stops the bleeding for now and I can reinstall it.

That's what I figured you were using the Rustoleum for. Better to get something on there, than to have bleed through. Just shooting out ideas. Should've known you'd thought about it...:D

Time to jump to something else.
Scored my final piece of chrome trim. Thanks Joel. This is the deck lid chrome.
Of the 8 pieces I needed, I got 7 of them on here on FABO!
This had some dings but I have practiced some on my GTX grill pieces.
First step was to open the trim clip opening on the rear to get better access to the back side of the dents. This was done with some pliers.
I used a piece of aluminum, a chisel and ball peen hammer.
After I got the shape I wanted I sanded with some 100 in the rough areas and will follow up with some 150 and so on.
I will finish on the buffing wheel, which I have not done much on yet so stay tuned.

DSC00016 (Custom).JPG

DSC00017 (Custom).JPG

DSC00018 (Custom).JPG

DSC00020 (Custom).JPG

DSC00025 (Custom).JPG

DSC00026 (Custom).JPG

DSC00027 (Custom).JPG

DSC00028 (Custom).JPG

DSC00029 (Custom).JPG

DSC00030 (Custom).JPG

You have done some beautiful work on your grille and related parts; they look great.
So, you masked off the black first and shot the silver, then masked the silver and shot the black, correct? Run into any issues I/we should be aware of?
This inspires me to do mine some weekend here in the garage.

Trunk trim part 2

I taped the low spots and sanded smooth. I will wet sand with some 400, 600 1200 then polish and spray with some satin clear.
These end pieces will also be done. Thanks SG(Roy) for those.

DSC00001 (Custom).JPG

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00003 (Custom).JPG

DSC00005 (Custom).JPG

DSC00007 (Custom).JPG

DSC00008 (Custom).JPG

DSC00011 (Custom).JPG

DSC00012 (Custom).JPG

DSC00013 (Custom).JPG

DSC00014 (Custom).JPG

You have done some beautiful work on your grille and related parts; they look great.
So, you masked off the black first and shot the silver, then masked the silver and shot the black, correct? Run into any issues I/we should be aware of?
This inspires me to do mine some weekend here in the garage.

Thanks 340. On the main section and light housings I just shot the silver and waited for it to fully dry(2-3 weeks) then taped up and sprayed black. The key is letting the silver dry and not loading up paint where not needed. I like the Rustoleum silver because it doesn't have the metallic look. I tried several different brands. I did tape the parking lights before the silver to cover the clear lens.

Nicely done, especially with the patience on the trim. (Man, I hate restoring trim...)

Thanks Robert. I finished wet sanding with 1500 and then polished it up on my buffer. Then I sprayed some satin clear lacquer and messed it up. I will strip the satin off and hit it with some regular clear enamel.

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00003 (Custom).JPG

DSC00004 (Custom).JPG

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00007 (Custom).JPG

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

I see some handy work being dun here homecloned :thumbrig:
The grill and running lights took a allot of patients and they look perfect :cheers:
Your handy work on the trim really caught my eye :tongue9: job well dun sir :rock:
Good to see you made a nother day for you and your Dart to be together =D>

-
Back