Chrysler brings back the Dodge Dart

-
typical of chrysler to ruin another muscle car, just like when they made the charger 4 door,

they are smart in the sence that they have taken all the old "hemi" name, aswell as the "cartoon" colors to use as a sales pitch, but because chrysler and fiat are now one company (fiat owns chrysler) i believe the design is a direct example of european FIAT design, rather then american chrysler.

Darts were not muscle cars. They were economical, people movers.

They did offer performance options that made them into a muscle car but your bread and butter Dart..... The one that most people bought was a 4 door, slant 6.

So..... A modern, 4 door, economy car is more in line with Dart heritage than a 2 door performance car would be.

But that doesn't mean I like it.

Interesting,....Still not warm and fuzzy about the whole Fiat relationship, financially or technically,...way too many bad memories concerning Fiat dependability from back in the day,....Maybe a good replacement for the Caliber which has served me well for the first 60k,...no probs yet,.....One caveat,...as usual, there will be no sale without a stick,...I control the car, not vise-versa

This "would" have been their cue to bring back a "retro" 67-69 Dart.

I see it's "Alpha" based. No. No. No, I won't be buying any Ay--tal -i anne cars.

The rear taillights look like the Charger's. How about some uniqueness/variety in different models?

I like the new Charger's taillights, but are they going to put them on EVERYTHING NOW?

gonna ruin yet another name. that freaking thing is an abortion. and enough already with the over used R/T bullshit.

the charger is a clusterfuck. a 4 door? get real. the chally is an overweight pig. and the dart is a joke. all three are abortions in my opinion. if you want to be a chrysler apologist go for it. back in the swing of things?? lol get rear. they are in last place as usual and will stay there with this junk.

Well, it seems Chrysler decided that developing an affordable cool car where bolt on's are plentiful and HP readily available to compete with the Camaro and Mustang would be ridiculous. (Since most of us can't afford a Challenger let alone the twin turbo set ups etc. etc.)

Let me extend my rant to the poor selection and overly expensive crate motors. 12K for a 390 HP motor? Really? You have to admit, the Chevy ones are high quality, priced accordingly and dependable. Where are you Chrysler??????????????????? Are we left to fend for ourselves?
Rant over..........

Dodge dart or Dodge FART???????

I think it a good think they use the old name's we all love, But hey try to use just a little retro styling like they did on the Challenger. That's the reason why we love these cars isn't it? They use that "cross hair" grill on every thing they build except the Challenger!

Say it isn't so... Dodge dart with fiat parts grumble grumble :wack:

Lol the majority of the world out side of fabo thinks that a nice looking Nova ;b

Noooooooooooooo!!:banghead: Where's the heritage in that,or even the fun factor,looks like an import.

I am sure they are just going to drag another Chrysler name in the mud.....Such as Charger,GTX,R/T,Aspen,Magnum and so on.Now if they make a Dart that is a two door with a performance V8, and is the same price or cheaper than a Mustang I may be interested.

Jim

hate it, i think they're ruining the names of good looking cars back in the day too much now. If they built a nice car (2dr option, but then again there is almost no car that is 4dr with a 2dr option these days) with sharp lines and an optional v8 id love the idea, but just using a name on this little 4door eco crap thing to get peoples attention like its doing all over here doesn't get me excited.

How can you get excited about a 2012 Dart that looks like this? I mean would the Mustang be as popular if it were built on a Focus Platform? Would people desire a new Camaro if it looked like a Aveo? I understand a new model with good MPG and all but Why Dart? Why not Vart or Jart or FART? Have they run out of new model car names? I'll bet people wouldn't have received the new Challenger if it looked like this.

I was actually aware that GM tried to bring back the GTO. My first muscle car was a 68 Firebird which I still own. And I can tell you the Pontiac community was very disappionted with what GM came out with. It did not have anything to do with marketing. It was too expensive for the younger crowd and too ugly for the people who drove the originals.

I guess what I am saying is the problem I have isn't about how many cylinders my problem is the over all design

New Dart, eh? Sorry. I don't think so.

The issue is that it's FWD and called a Dart. Carries no heritage from it's past... My issue is w/ the name, not the car. Sure have a FWD that sells to the masses, but call it something else...

Whether or not Darts were great from the factory, the fact of the matter is, they've become somewhat legendary in their own right (I don't own one, so I am speaking without bias...). RWD 340, with 6 pack and 4 on the floor, makes for a pretty bad *** machine...

I wouldn't expect dodge to bring another V8 muscle car to the market when they have the Challenger, but a classicly styled light weight RWD (3000lb max) car with around 220-250hp, and 6 speed option would be a blast to drive. At that weight and horsepower 30 mpg's wouldn't be hard to achieve... Make a coupe and a 4 door, and that stays true to the Dart name. Why chase Honda and Toyota FWD compacts? Why not make an American competitor to the BMW 3 series (RWD)? Why is every car that BMW makes still RWD, and Dodge (and the rest of the big 3) messing around with FWD 'Japanese looking' cars. Put a stake in the ground and stand for something, especially when you're using a classic name.

An insult reproduction of a true classic.

that little car looks like a 4 door honda crx. if they are going to bring names back they could at least use a little MOPAR MUSCLE when designing it.

Seriously, some of you mother f***ers wouldn't be satisfied if you were hung with a brand new rope.

The thing is, Dodge should have learned from its past... None of these were particularly successful. Why? Because they had nothing to do with the original.

Also, let me re-iterate, I have no problem with the new car itself that dodge is making... I understand the need for a fuel efficient grocery getter, and from the pics shown it looks to be a stylish one... My issue is with the careless nameplate use... Call it the Avenger, the Caliber, the neon, the Colt... any of those make more sense than calling this particular car a Dart.

I kinda spoke about it earlier, but here goes:

ccrp_0612_01_z+1969_dodge_dart_340.jpg

Picture a modern version of this, smoother sheet metal, no chrome, shorter overhangs, probably 2 feet shorter overall... and newer wheels of course.

- RWD
- coupe and four door
- could be 4 cylinder for the base then either 4 cylinder turbo or NA 6 for the "performance model... This leaves room for the Challenger to still exist.
- Classic styling. So instead of looking like a Japanese car like the Toyota/Subaru, keep it distinctly American. Think of an American version of the 1 series (just the exterior design), Think mini-Challenger. I always thought the roofline of the 69 Dart had a distinct look to it, make a modern version of that... maybe even throw a tail stripe on the performance version.
- And lastly, very important, keep it around the 3000 lb mark

This could be a staple in the Dodge line... Something they can build upon for years to come, making small tweaks to the sheet metal and adding small additions/improvements along the way. Something that speaks to their heritage, and something to be proud of.

Is anybody really excited about this.Its just a name use, nothing more. Almost as bad as a 4 Door CHARGER. NO THANKS.

Or 7 years with the HEMI only being available in trucks... Yeah Chrysler is bizarre!!

Looks interesting, but I can't get warmed up about it. It seems to me that if Chrysler wants to stand out, making the same sort of fwd, 4-banger, 4-door that everyone else is screwing together is NOT the way to do it.

The Dodge Dart started out as a no-frills, entry-level, REAR drive car. Since the receipe worked well before, why not now? If a two-ton Journey can get 25 mpg (hwy) with automatic, what would a 1½ ton car with a clutch get with the same engine putting the power down via the rear wheels?

Until Mopar builds a more compelling car at an entry-level price point, I guess I'll stick with my archaic antediluvian anachronistic Dart and it's buzzin' half-dozen that can't sit up straight.

FWIW: The Dart is a '73 Custom, /6, TQ, A/C, 2.76:1, 23 mpg (hwy), and seats 6.

Those words are wayyy to big for most people on this site:laughing::D

Hemis are Mexican built, as are the 500's as are the Rams... The most "American" car company left is spelled "F-O-R-D." Like it or not, it is the truth

.. thought we went there already, ....yaaaaaawn!
As this thread gets longer and longer I find more and more gospel. Amen brothers!

They should also offer it as a two door. Thing is , it's probably built on a neon chassis which to me is a glorified Aries-K car but is does not look too bad either.
Is it going to be big enough too offer a V-8 version. That would be awesome.

Man its just a name guys, its got zip in common with the real old Darts. Nothing at all

I could go around saying I am 18 years old but it doesn't make it so, loll

The new Challenger looks a bit like the oldie but again nothing in common, just the name is the same.

Mopar died out for cars in the 80's, mostly late 70's when the big blocks went away. Those 80 cop cars were the last of the breed, its extinct and never coming back.

Cars are built so different today even the steel isn't the same. The paint is thin--looks good yeah but its not the same/ they drive nice, just don't crash one

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=27791&page=3

So........what do ya think ???

Attachments

• 403306_10150585260539224_7346304223_11084197_1016356238_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 409570_10150585267809224_7346304223_11084228_1506616723_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 406983_10150585238184224_7346304223_11084086_1533805479_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 397274_10150585270899224_7346304223_11084241_880827203_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 396645_10150585271129224_7346304223_11084243_143429595_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 396185_10150585266134224_7346304223_11084225_1792789183_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 380388_10150585263434224_7346304223_11084212_48722074_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 380108_10150499749664802_55263594801_8655076_544323921_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 377044_10150585264219224_7346304223_11084216_512457585_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 388927_10150585238984224_7346304223_11084092_1765114110_n (Large) (Medium) (Small).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 183
looks good, better than the Neon or Avenger thing. Tbh the current Avenger over here in the Uk was always going to struggle as the original 70's Chrysler/Hillman/Talbot Avenger was very very poor, and people have long memories over here!

-
Back