Classic Air Kits

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
I'm looking at the classic air kit for my 72 demon. Their website says that it's for a heat only cars I'm hoping that's a minor issue that I can work around since my car originally had factory air. I don't know if it's just the control is a different or if it's going to be more in-depth. I have the controller that's five pushbuttons slide for temperature and a thumb switch for fan speed. Also I'd like some feedback on the quality of these units and how they function in our cars, and also how complex the installation is.
Thanks
Tom

I can't keep track of all the aftermarket, but at least one is specifically designed to fit in place of "heat only." Realize that there are dramatic differences between the FIREWALL on a heat only and an AC car

Can't you find photos, or download the destructions?

The only instructions I could find were for the heat only car. I have a call in to classic air hopefully will get back to me soon and shed some light on this for me. When they do I'll be happy to share the info. Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.

What have you now? Cant you fix what's there, and maybe update the hoses, compressor, etc?

My '68 Dart had A/C originally so I emailed Classic Air for a firewall forward kit since I had already rebuilt my heater/evaporator box, and this is what they responded with (this was in 2011 so the price is probably different):

Good day,

We do not have a model specific kit for the Dart. When doing an A body we can only supply a universal parallel flow condenser and liquid line. With the E body we have engineered tubes and brackets for the condenser. We do not supply the heater valve with the engine kits. We also are unable to supply that water valve new. We are capable of rebuilding a good core if you have one to send.

A complete engine compartment kit for a Dart using our parallel flow condenser is priced at $694.98 plus shipping. Please give me a call if you have any questions I will happy to go into detail on what we can do to get the AC going in your Dart.

I never did get A/C in my Dart, have always had other priorities.

Great Thread 6pk.
67 Dart, that is my other option. I have to pull vacuum on the coil and see if it holds.

What is the web site address? Just put in classic air.Com?

I purchased a complete sanden compressor kit, for my factory air small block duster.
I purchased from Bouchillon Performance engineering. Purchased everything from the firewall forward. Classic Air sells the Bouchillon
performance kit.

Put a complete kit on my 74 back in 2010. Had just a couple minor problems but has worked flawlessly ever since. Heater/evaporator box will probably work on an air car because all four lines come out the fan motor hole. The only problem would probably be the controls. The kit is designed for up to a 72 model. Had to do a couple mods to work with my 74 controls. Feels good when it is 90+ degrees outside and you got 38-40 degree air blowing out your vents.

See my writeup back in July 4, 2013 on my Classic Air retrofit. If your evaporator is original I would suggest replacing as discussed in my situation.

Have you checked out Vintage Air as well? Not sure if they offer an A Body kit but the ones that i have installed on E-Bodies seem very well made.

Email Ron @ Classic Air (pm for his address) - I ordered up the under hood upgrade kit for . Haven't installed it yet, but sorting through the parts, I found the installation instructions. I scanned the instructions, and they are here for download. This setup uses the stock underdash vent setup, so if you still have all of that in place, you should be good to go.

I'm putting a Classic Auto Air in my 72 Demon it was a factory air car . The fan is bigger so you need to fabricate a plate to cover the hole in the fire wall then put there cover plate over hole you cut in the adapter plate . then we had to get a non air water pump pulley and crank pulley . also a non air heater control . I have thread on with pic's send me email address and i'll send pic's Waco Demon

Mr.FT,
You didn't bother to tell us what engine is in your car. It makes a big difference in the compressor brackets and hoses. There are Sanden brackets for all engines, but slants take more searching. A guy here sells those brackets.

Check out the Bouchillon kit. I used their firewall forward kit on my 75 Scamp with factory air. It wasn't perfect but it was a workable solution. wound up making my o
wn brackets so I could run dual belts on the compressor and alternator.318 car.

Thanks for all the info, I'll look into everything and let you know how I make out.
BillGrissom, sorry about that it is a 340 in my Demon.

-
Back