Classic Mopar Use ????

How do you use your mopar?

• Total voters
-
So up here in New England we have a shorter window to drive in. Spring we have to wait for the rain month to pass over to wash the roads from all the chemicals put down over the winter.
Summer gets hot with no ac. So fall is the perfect time but prepping for winter - cutting wood and splitting is the “getting ready for winter” routine. So the window is smaller. I try to drive the cars to birthday parties for family or trips to the store. But parking is a chore. No
Matter where you park… people need to park right next to you and ding the paint.
After a while, it becomes more hassle than it’s worth. That’s how mine comes garage ornaments. Enclosed trailer queens
But after spending the money I did for the Barracuda complete rebuild… it sucks when you feel defeated before you even start the key. You drive defensively because of people on their phones, stoned now, watching videos, or thinking they are fast and furious. In my 50’s - it is not worth it some times. It is sad to think they are sitting, comfortably “yes.” But the thought of all that energy wasted because some idiot who has no respect for other drivers…. Insurance is great, but try to find another 340/4 speed demon to replace mine.

During the non-monsoon and non-cold seasons here in FL (March-April and September-October) I drive mine to work on Fridays (sometimes more than one day and sometimes the whole week) and usually do errands on Saturdays.

I chose "local" but my work commute is 46 miles round trip.

I've also been known to go 120-ish miles to the next major cities on either side of me.

You might say I use it "like a car".

I've said several times on FxBO and in person, that I'd have no problem putting my wife in it tomorrow and letting her drive it to Atlanta (about 450 miles) alone.

I'm that confident in both the car and my wife.

I use my car on sunny days only, but... every sunny day I can possibly take it out. It goes to every charity car show in my area (approx 6 a summer) and has won best of show, Best restomod etc..

It does not have a "do not touch sign" anywhere on it as I let people sit in it and get pics, especially the kids as I think its important to expose them to the hobby. Its how I got infected with the hobby as a 1969 Daytona Charger owner let me sit in the shotgun seat as a little kid and after a "pedal to the metal" run, changed my life.

1705670342343.jpeg

1705670411282.png

1705670498755.png

When I bought my Challenger in 2008 it was my only vehicle, so, it went everywhere I did. When I bought my Duster in 2012 it was my newest car, and it remained that way until 2020. So between those two cars if I went somewhere from 2008 to 2020 it was in one of them. The Challenger was pulled off the road after that because the rust I bought it with needed to be addressed. I still drive my Duster everywhere pretty much year round, I live at about 3,500 ft now though so now I have a 4wd truck for when it snows or threatens snow (although its 20+ years old too). The Duster has seen snow before but with my 275/295 extreme performance summer tires it gets a little squirrely so I try and plan around it. But the rest of the time the Duster is my daily, and does my 120 mile round trip commute with ease. And yeah, lots of little trips up the mountain to hang out in Tahoe, see the lakes, just go for a rip in the twisty's, whatever

View attachment 1716194355

View attachment 1716194352

View attachment 1716194356

View attachment 1716194357

View attachment 1716194358

View attachment 1716194359

View attachment 1716194360

View attachment 1716194361

Love the Duster!

Looks like one mean son of a *****!!

Local, long distance, work. The 2 cars and 1 truck all get a work out over the years.
Some got to stretch their legs coast to coast on many fun runs in the past 20 years.
My 63 Belvedere has racked up over 700 miles in less than a year while working out the bugs of a new build.
Once I get a few more driveline vibrations taken care of a RT 66 fun run is in it's future.

Local to long haul for me. Every spring we trek to Minnesota for Mopar's in the Park. It's a 4 hour cruise but a few of us drive together just in case someone has an issue. Another Mopar show is 90 min away in Dubuque. Lots of local car cruises and cruise in's.

F3A65C85-8041-4C7B-BDBB-C20DF56D0C02x.jpeg

So up here in New England we have a shorter window to drive in. Spring we have to wait for the rain month to pass over to wash the roads from all the chemicals put down over the winter.
Summer gets hot with no ac. So fall is the perfect time but prepping for winter - cutting wood and splitting is the “getting ready for winter” routine. So the window is smaller. I try to drive the cars to birthday parties for family or trips to the store. But parking is a chore. No
Matter where you park… people need to park right next to you and ding the paint.
After a while, it becomes more hassle than it’s worth. That’s how mine comes garage ornaments. Enclosed trailer queens
But after spending the money I did for the Barracuda complete rebuild… it sucks when you feel defeated before you even start the key. You drive defensively because of people on their phones, stoned now, watching videos, or thinking they are fast and furious. In my 50’s - it is not worth it some times. It is sad to think they are sitting, comfortably “yes.” But the thought of all that energy wasted because some idiot who has no respect for other drivers…. Insurance is great, but try to find another 340/4 speed demon to replace mine.

Boy can I relate to this! Exactly what I deal with weather wise but an even shorter season than yours here in St John's, Newfoundland.

I also get the fear of the car being damaged but,for me, at 66 years old and, after losing a lot of my friends who never really got the chance to complete or drive their projects/rides, I'm over it.

Every car gets a few scrapes and bruises , even carefully stored ones.

Go enjoy your car Syleng1.

You'll be dead a long time...

is anybody concerned about the lack of safety with these cars on long drives or busy highways?

is anybody concerned about the lack of safety with these cars on long drives or busy highways?
Not e! I am a teenager from the 60s. No air bags, loaded guns always within reach, farm kid driving grain trucks soon as their legs were long enough, no child safely anything..etc etc. I survived long enough to be draft age and then...just like that ...it went away.

I never could afford drag racing...spend the $ to build a car and then tear it up. Nope.

I hav edriven my old Mopars back in the 90s and later to work, many time 160 mile round trip, interstate and KC city drivng...every day back in Mo. Then it got nice and only 70 mi round trip, threw the country some on old 66 too.

Yep, drum brake an points dist.!!

I drive my cars whenever, and wherever I want. True, I live in The Mitten, and we typically drive them only after the snow disappears, but those 2 weeks of summer are the best!

Realistically, I’ve driven to the Gilmore, about 2 hours away. If I go to the Nats I trailer something there, not because it won’t make it, but because I’m also taking large parts there to sell and I need my truck. When I’m there tho, I’ll race whatever I bring, take it out for the nightlife and beat the crap out of it. Here at home, if I’m going somewhere, even just the hardware store, I take something old. Lately it’s been the Roadrunner or the Signet, because the other 2 cars are in need of attention. When Nellas room is finished, and my MIL’s house is sold (today at 4), it will free up time to bring them into the shop for some love.

I just like driving old cars, and my favorite drives are on the backroads, going nowhere in particular. No radio, no passengers, just me and the song of Mopar. Same with my bike, I don’t like the freeway, and like to just ride. I do like destination rides like The Dragon, but we’ll save that for another thread.

I drive mine alot. We went to Darling Dodge mopar show in Augusta Maine twice and it's about a 6 hour drive each way. Also went to Granby Quebec twice to the show there which is close to 9 hours each way. We want to do both again in the near future. Besides those I often go to shows anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours from me. Most are closer but distance doesn't deter me. Bobby

In what way? I ask honestly. Do you mean in a crash or accident? Do you mean breaking down??

Last two years we've taken the '77 Dodge shorty van on a over 900 mile round trip to the NNN. Drove it down there, bracket raced it, and drove it home :)
Oh, it was our hotel too while there :D
Biggest problem with us is usually time off..... trying to get away

Last edited:
I use my car on sunny days only, but... every sunny day I can possibly take it out. It goes to every charity car show in my area (approx 6 a summer) and has won best of show, Best restomod etc..

It does not have a "do not touch sign" anywhere on it as I let people sit in it and get pics, especially the kids as I think its important to expose them to the hobby. Its how I got infected with the hobby as a 1969 Daytona Charger owner let me sit in the shotgun seat as a little kid and after a "pedal to the metal" run, changed my life.

View attachment 1716194444

View attachment 1716194445

View attachment 1716194446

This is the Hemi Daytona I referred to that was my introduction to Mopars when I was 12 years old.

Still around, completely restored after all these years!

1705678385308.png

Lack of safety?
When these cars were built, we had expressways and 75 mph speed limits. Long drives were no different then than they are now, just maybe busier and with more inattentive idiots on the road- but that has nothing to do with the cars themselves. After '66 they had collapsible steering columns and available 3 pt. harnesses; and after '73 (?) had door I beams. Other stuff I'm not thinking of right now.
They're NOT loaded down with 12 inch videotainment distraction systems, rub-your-tummy-and-stomp-your-foot to change the heater controls, power door locks/mirror controls/pedal adjustments/etc. that stop working as soon as the car is out of warranty, and a plethora of other cr*p that becomes a liability as soon as it starts to act up...
Not to mention, both my '66 and '75 get better mileage than my '08 Grand Cherokee...
Honestly, I'm just as, or more; nervous taking a newer car on an extended trip as my classic. At least I stand a better than average chance of fixing whatever basic systems it has while on the road, whereas a late model is "call a flatbed and rent a car" time.

Last edited:
I'm glad my 73 doesn't have-

Air bags.
Seat belt not fastened "dinger" that can't be turned off.
Mandatory shoulder belt.
"Extreme" crumple zones that total the car at a 15 MPH collision.
Mandatory brake pedal application in order to start.
No where but the pinch weld to use as a lifting point.

Last edited:
My cars get driven. I'm still sorting out this one as it was not abused for the last 50 years, but it also wasn't maintained to update the long-term things that need attention to be a reliable driver. I continue to use it around town and for errands within 25 miles or so. It's earning its way to longer trips on a steady basis. It's my only B but it is a strong candidate for favorite ride.

DSCN1791.JPG

Then there's this one that needs a new gas tank but otherwise is in good survivor condition. I've taken it up to 100 miles away and take it out for a cruise often. It's slow, clunky, and needs a lot of updating to replace all the drive train and running gear that's nearing the end of its life cycle. It gets driven anyway, as it serves no purpose parked in the garage.

20160910_124708(0)_resized.jpg

When I have a reliable mopar, I drive them as often as possible. I’m down to 0 driving Mopars right now lol.

The younger guys never drove these old cars many decades ago and when us old guys talk about the feel and sounds and experience of driving these antiques, they don't totally relate. They weren't born yet!! :poke: :steering:

I am a teenager from the 60s. No air bags, loaded guns always within reach, farm kid driving grain trucks soon as their legs were long enough, no child safely anything..etc etc
Me too.And we made it this far.
Lack of safety?
I would rather die driving my old Mopar than waiting to die in a old folks home or hospital bed.

-
Back