Classic Mopar Use ????

How do you use your mopar?

• Total voters
-
Boozers and stoners can get you no matter what you're driving. What happens when you get hit by an out-of-control semi? Every time you get on an airplane? If you're standing on a corner and an irresponsible kid in a (new) Mustang jumps the curb and takes you out? Will you deny them the ability to ride a motorcycle if they so choose? Gee, no airbags, no restraints, no "crumple zones"... One thing I always taught my kids and grandkid is to never hide yourself under a rock, afraid life will "get you"... it just ends up passing you by instead. Judging by some of the crap I read, it's a wonder any of us are still alive. Cocoon yourself in a self-steering, self-parking, automatically braking car and then wonder why drivers are incapable of paying attention or making any split-second decisions when the need arises. We're being turned into less capable people and being encouraged to be more negligent- since we figure the vehicle will "save" us, instead of our own abilities.
Skynet is coming.
Thanks. Now I got that to worry about now? Lol.

Yup. Life is dangerous. Had to drive my street GTX to work and back for a week a couple years back as both daily driver and truck were down. In VERY heavy and aggressive rush hour traffic. And I swear everyone and their mother were aiming at car. Ran off the road twice.

Some of it may have been me being more paranoid. And some who's eyes were on car and not their driving. But I know Murphy and his damn laws were out in force! Lol.

All of us survived the "no seatbelt, no bike helmet" era.

Of course you did, otherwise you wouldn’t be here to post this would you?

That doesn’t account for the hundreds of thousands, heck maybe even millions, of people that might have been saved with seatbelts and helmets in that era.

Look up “survivorship bias”. It’s the faulty logic everyone uses when they say they did something stupid and they’re not dead. Just because you’re not dead doesn’t mean it wasn’t stupid.

Also… Since when did all of you guys get these convertible challengers and cudas… we are all supposed to have cheap, ugly broken A bodies….

First DadsBee with the super beautiful cars and now 2 more of you with these sweet convertibles… I’m gonna have to start stripping or start selling pictures of my feet on the internet… you guys have the cars I want one day but I don’t have that virtue they call patience… :)
Hey, I enjoy this place so sorry I don't have any A bodies... At least Dads Bee does... I've come close so many times through the years mostly FB Barracudas but a few Darts & Dusters... Just always seems the timing was wrong.. I've owned lots of E & B bodies, at this point doubt I'll own an A body, but I enjoy reading what's posted & I'm happy to share my stories & knowledge... Hopefully my pretty cars can be forgiven

1705698107435.png

Google Earth shows that it's still at the office in Livingston Tx..... If NVDA keeps on paying out I can get the old gal registered again!

Yup. Life is dangerous. Had to drive my street GTX to work and back for a week a couple years back as both daily driver and truck were down. In VERY heavy and aggressive rush hour traffic. And I swear everyone and their mother were aiming at car. Ran off the road twice.
I have always drove my old Mopars, the ones that would run. The funny part is a good bud put me on a perfect 71 340 triple black Cuda years ago. Back about maybe '97. Every friggin time I would drive it to town, yea 2 lane blacktop and town had maybe 4000 souls, every time I would meet someone coming down the road, they would vere sharply toward me, like over on MY side of the narrow Mo. road. It was weird but it never happened near as bad with any of my other Mopars from Tor Red AAR Cuda to whatever. I wasn't paranoid.

I guess they would be staring at it trying to figure out what it was.

My cars a driven rain or shine, they are borderline daily drivers. I have taken them on multiple trips over 1000 miles one way.

Alan

I have always drove my old Mopars, the ones that would run. The funny part is a good bud put me on a perfect 71 340 triple black Cuda years ago. Back about maybe '97. Every friggin time I would drive it to town, yea 2 lane blacktop and town had maybe 4000 souls, every time I would meet someone coming down the road, they would vere sharply toward me, like over on MY side of the narrow Mo. road. It was weird but it never happened near as bad with any of my other Mopars from Tor Red AAR Cuda to whatever. I wasn't paranoid.

I guess they would be staring at it trying to figure out what it was.
Yup. One tends to steer slightly to what you're looking. It's drag racing 101. Pick a spot far down the track. And keep eyes forward.

It's why drunks crash into police cars who's lights are on while on the side of the road. They drive to where they are looking.

Yup. One tends to steer slightly to what you're looking. It's drag racing 101. Pick a spot far down the track. And keep eyes forward.

It's why drunks crash into police cars who's lights are on while on the side of the road. They drive to where they are looking.
But when I have to take the ditch to miss the gawkers! :BangHead: :poke:

"All of us survived no seatbelt no bike helmet era"...you're kidding right?...."deny my family using a motorcycle"
I can't count the people i know taken out by not using seatbelts or the number of friends i lost or are crippled for
life from bike accidents.

I drive all around town. But it takes 20 minutes to get to town, lol. Try not to get caught in the rain but if it happens, no worries. My car looks good from 10 feet but it's no show car. I can't keep my foot out it anytime I drive it because I love the sound of the exhaust and feel of the pull. Although....I can't do that anymore when the wife is with me. Last time I got a punch in the arm :D .

I haven't been "long haul" with it yet cause I work too much but I did drive it to Summit for a FABO meet and greet years ago before I swapped the 273 for a 5.9 Magnum. Drove right through Atlanta!!

I drive roughly 800 miles a week for work in my work car (2021 Honda CR-V) and I worry more about other drivers then, than I do while driving my Barracuda. Great thread @318willrun !!

IMG_20191116_142205.jpg

IMG_20191116_150318.jpg

"All of us survived no seatbelt no bike helmet era"...you're kidding right?...."deny my family using a motorcycle"
I can't count the people i know taken out by not using seatbelts or the number of friends i lost or are crippled for
life from bike accidents.
Highway accidents account for a lot of deaths unrelated to health or "old age natural process". In other words, they were killed. That being said, very, very few die in a classic car. Next to none when looking at the %.
  • One thing is, classic cars are seen more by other drivers than probably any other 4 tire vehicle on the road. Being different does that. Being seen is a vital way to avoid an accident. Isn't it amazing when somebody sees a classic among them, they keep throwing glances, always knowing where it is?? Even most "non-car" people...lol
  • 2nd, most driving a classic (lets call it 40 years or older) are more aware of their surroundings, on average. Even in parking lots. Being aware of surroundings is another vital way to avoid an accident.
  • Basically, when people are aware of you, and you are aware of your surroundings, it's amazing how well cars play nice! :)
But yes, in the case of a bad collision accident, a new Challenger would fair better than a '72 Duster in almost every case.

Last edited:
I ride a motorcycle, too.

I'm just a fan of deciding for myself how safe I want to be without government overreach.

If I want to be stupid, let me be stupid.

Darwin will have the last word.

Since my logic was questioned, I'll offer a rebuttal-

To those of you who are that concerned with safety- why do you have a vehicle without those features?

Is it because you are willing to trade those risks for a moderate level of enjoyment?

...and have you ever traveled faster than the posted limit?

Why?

I ride a motorcycle, too.

I'm just a fan of deciding for myself how safe I want to be without government overreach.

If I want to be stupid, let me be stupid.

Darwin will have the last word.

Since my logic was questioned, I'll offer a rebuttal-

To those of you who are that concerned with safety- why do you have a vehicle without those features?

Is it because you are willing to trade those risks for a moderate level of enjoyment?

...and have you ever traveled faster than the posted limit?

Why?
Or have driven under the influence of something... alcohol... drugs.. texting.. "under the influence" is The Leader in traffic deaths, killing others that are innocent along with the guilty. Now I want a quad cab Ram 3500 for defence!!! :realcrazy: :eek:.... LOL

Or have driven under the influence of something... alcohol... drugs.. texting.. "under the influence" is The Leader in traffic deaths, killing others that are innocent along with the guilty. Now I want a quad cab Ram 3500 for defence!!! :realcrazy: :eek:.... LOL
I will sum this up by saying I avoid large cities at all cost. Even in my "newer" cars. I hate driving in bumper to bumper traffic, 5 lanes across.... I'm a home grown-small town-country boy that has lived almost his entire life in towns under 999 population lol

So when does it become a classic…2003 190k daily driver

View attachment 1716194907
well, to me, classic cars start with factory carburetors.... so around the mid 80's and down.... although, I may make an acceptation for the Fox bodies, Grand Nationals, Daytonas, and I-roc Z28's from the same era.... But that's just me .... lol Oh, I have a 2001 Ram that's my daily with 321k on it, but it's not a classic to me... just a worn out rusty truck :D

20 years around these parts according to the DMV.
Here, 25 years of age is a classic - meaning it can get antique plates. However... that's the DMV.. Let me say it this way, if they said there was a classic car show, and a person went, and it was full of '99 neons, taurus's, expeditions, camry's, and a '99 Ram 1500, would you feel like you went to a classic car show???
:lol:

Last edited:
well, to me, classic cars start with factory carburetors.... so around the mid 80's and down.... although, I may make an acceptation for the Fox bodies, Grand Nationals, Daytonas, and I-roc Z28's from the same era.... But that's just me .... lol Oh, I have a 2001 Ram that's my daily with 321k on it, but it's not a classic to me... just a worn out rusty truck :D
Me too!

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SBSC, 2WD Sport w/SLT PKG. 5.2 Magnum.

240,000kms, Original paint, original Powertrain

Hagerty making me wait until 2025 for Classic status.

1705766161369.jpeg

My first trip out of our Georgia country at age 16 in 1964.... 225 miles to Atlanta. Never seen buildings over one story before. It was dark downtown and it was 3 p.m.
OK so we took my buds old car a 57 Chevy, 283 and 4 on floor. He hit a dog on way out of town and the front end was out of wack the whole trip! Darn Chevy POS.
But we made it there and back, points distributor, no seats belts, a 5 year old battery... NOT even GPS or a friggin Road map!! :BangHead:

Last edited:
Right! I think about all the 318’s, cast iron 4bbl intakes, 904’s I’ve scrapped. Ive scrapped 18k “super” 6’s. Stupid.

i have a spare 302/318 that I kept just in case I blew the 360 in my 68. In another decade or so I’ll be able to sell that for what 340’s are going for now. (lol)

-
Back