Clogged up ports???

-

EmersonC

Reaction score
I drive a 66 dart gt convert as a daily driver with the 273 v8. I am replacing the stock intake manifold and 2 bbl carb with edelbrock preformer intake and 4 bbl 600 cfm carb. I got the intake off today and found 2 ports nearly fully clogged with oily carbon deposits. My question is, what are the function of the middle ports (see picture) and why is it that they became so clogged?
From what I have heard, before I put the new manifold on i need to remove the clips from the corners of the block, does that sound right? I think I have found them.
Any other suggestion while I have the manifold off???
IMG_3092.jpg

THose are exhaust crossover from 3 and 6 ports. The outside area is just a casting void, its "blind". They heat the intake for faster warm up and better cold weather driving. Just chip 'em out with a screwdriver and use a vacuum to suck the debris out. Cover lifter gallet with a rag before doing this to catch any debris. Loosen valvetrain prior so the valves are closed. You dont want any of that crud in the cylinders. REmoving clips? Never heard of it, but you will need to remove intake locating dowels if the block has any.

I used to would have agreed with Pishta's answer above, but if this were my engine, I WOULD LEAVE THE PLUGS IN THERE that is IF your car is primarily a "summer driver."

I recently "got back into" with a 67 Dart, a junkyard 360/ Edelbrock performer and 600 AFB. Right now I'm running an electric pump in series with the mechanical plus a pair of thick insulators above/ below the carb spacer.

If I tear that engine down or replace it, I'll plug the heat riser ports.

REmoving clips? Never heard of it, but you will need to remove intake locating dowels if the block has any.

ya sorry for the lingo mix up "intake locating dowels" is what I ment. Youll have to forgive me, I have always had an interest in the classics, but it wasnt untill recently that I had the money and time to actually work on them. I am learning as I go along.

I was gonna ask, the "Clips." I thought you were thinking of the 2 little tabs sticking up at the corners of the head and block area where the intake meets the 2. Front and rear on both sides. Just a FYI and just in case, there locating tabs for the end gasket for the end seals for the intake gasket. There connected to the head gasket.

In that area, now that I am talking about it, where the intake, head and block meet, lots of sealant there. Oil leaks are common there if not sealed correctly.

It's an exhaust crossover and it gets clogged by carbon deposits from a rich mixtuire and burned oil getting by the rings and valve seals. On a street car or if you're going to run the stock type choke, I'd open those passages up. While you have the intake off, I'd take a good look at the cam. If it's sketchy at all, I'd replace it and the lifters. Seeing as how you're putting a 4bbl on, it might be a good idea to get a more aggresive one anyway.

Well it seems like everything went well for the installation part, now the realy headacke is trying to get the throttle linkage and tranny kick down all set up. Any suggestions? I see that edelbrock has an adaptor for early chrysler engines (#8007) has anyone used this? I do not have a welder so making my own would be a bit tricky.
Or does anyone know of a good thread that can point me in the right direction?

Get a 4bbl small block kickdown linkage set if you can, or an aftermarket cable kit if you can't.

Well it seems like everything went well for the installation part, now the realy headacke is trying to get the throttle linkage and tranny kick down all set up. Any suggestions? I see that edelbrock has an adaptor for early chrysler engines (#8007) has anyone used this? I do not have a welder so making my own would be a bit tricky.
Or does anyone know of a good thread that can point me in the right direction?
Either get the proper throttle and kickdown bracket for your car or Lokar sells a cable setup.DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR WITHOUT THE KICKDOWN hooked up properly,you,ll fry your transmission.Good luck and use the search feature for help with kickdown setup.

ASKING FOR A LITTLE HELP

So I think all things are set up right or atleast I hope so. I got the kick down set up pretty close to where I want it, the transmission shifts a bit early, but it is pretty close.
Just today though I have started to run into a problem. The engine feels like it is about to die when the car is in drive and standing still, as if it is being held back. It imediatly goes away when the car is in nuetral first or park. My guess is this has something to do with the kick down. Should i asjust if forward or back or any other ideas???? Please help this is supposed to be my daily driver!

what is the idle speed in gear? It should be about 650. Did it idle fine in gear before you put this new carb and intake on? The kickdown has nothing to do with idle speed.

BTW, if you need something welded or some help, I'm in the south end and can help you out.

Throttle pressure too high can lug the engine in gear. There is a proceedure in service manuals for setting up throttle pressure providing you have factory linkage.

Geometry has to be correct. Eye to eye flat out and Eye to eye at an idle. You will need to drill another hole in the trans lever closer to the valve body pivot. Also Cut off the cable holder face it up and move it forward. 76-79 f bodies will have the correct three piece inkage for a 4bbl 904 combo. All police intercepters. 318-360 4bbl 904.

Also those dowel pins you removed have a porpose. When installing the intake.scribe a line up the center of each port and around the face so you can see it on the top of the intake. the valve cover bolts are in the center of the port on the head. Move the intake front or back and align these marks you made as close as possible to the center of the valve cover bolt holes. if they are off side to side split the difference. Then use a leather mallet an tap down on the front and back of the intake this will put marks from the dowels in the underside of the intake. Center punch these marks and drill them 3/8's deep with a 3/16 bit. You now port aligned your new intake to your heads for your motor. You may need to hone the intake attachment noles to get it closer front or back. If your intake is already drilled use the same method with the marks and mill the end holes front or back if it needs to be moved. always leave the dowels in they hold the gaskets if used. I found even factory intakes used from one motor to another are way off.
Check the intake ports in your intake, make sure they are the same size or smaller copared to the head. A bigger intake Verse the head will create a step going in.

Kick down only controls shift. you probably have a vaccuum advance proplem. Could be a vavuum leak from a improperly installed intake, Wrong intake verses head. also all 4bbl cars have a 8.5 vacuum advance 2bbl's have 11.0 . This number can be seen on top of the rod going from the vacuum diaphram to the distributor when the distributor cap is removed.

Usually a car dying in gear is a timming drop off if it has the advanced hooked up. A 20 degree mechanical advance with no vacuum will correct this. Weld up the out side of the advance slots in the distributor from 1/2 which they are to 3/8 this will give you approx. 20. then remove the heavy spring the medium spring left will let it go to total after its started at aroun 1500-2000. If it trys to climb in and out of total at idle add a light spring where the heavy one was. This advice is for performance not economy. You will not be able to run regular fuel.

Thanks for the quick replys everyone. I worked with it this morning and it is running much better. I raised the idle and this smoothed it out a lot. I also moved the kick down back and it seems to be shifting a better time, though there is some hesitation when i go WOT. Also tweaked with the electric choke (though that has nothing to do with the preformance issues) All in all I am very happy with the move. Now I need to sell the old carb and intake manifold to recover some of the money spent.
Anyone want a intake manifold and 2bbl carb off a '66 273 cid? Or how much I should try and sell it for?

-
Back