Coilover support bars, how much interest?

-

Badart

Reaction score
I had a member ask me if I would be interested in making these with my bender. I plan on ordering either a 1" or 1 1/8" die for my tubing bender to make a set for mock up on my dart. The tubing in the pic looks smaller than 1" to me, what do you think?

I am just wondering how much interest there would be? I know that many A body guys are sick of dealing with header clearance with torsion bars. This would help eliminate this.

I plan on making them with DOM and most likely go with .134" wall for extra strength. What are your thoughts? What coilovers would you recommend? I do know to stay away from the CAP upper control arms. LOL

Attachments

• Coilover mount.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 726
I don't know what coilovers to recommend, but I love your design. If I hadn't planned on tieing my front frame rails to the roll cage, while supporting the shock tower, then I would definately be looking for a set like yours.

Have you looked in to a patent for your design? I'd hate to see someone copy your design without you getting any credit.

I don't know what coilovers to recommend, but I love your design. If I hadn't planned on tieing my front frame rails to the roll cage, while supporting the shock tower, then I would definately be looking for a set like yours.

Have you looked in to a patent for your design? I'd hate to see someone copy your design without you getting any credit.

Actually I stole this one from a Mopar Muscle article. LOL :D

I have been thinking of using coil overs on my 67 from Magnumforce.But I have not sure what would be strong enough to use as reinforcement bars? I do not want any frame cracking issues later on...

Jim

The only design I would buy into would reshape the shock tower and inner fender so late model cast iron manifolds would fit easier. I understand coilovers are about suspension and handling but why not kill 2 birds with one stone. Just my .02

That's a nice piece but imo unless it is bolt in then your consumer market will be limited...

I have been thinking of using coil overs on my 67 from Magnumforce.But I have not sure what would be strong enough to use as reinforcement bars? I do not want any frame cracking issues later on...

Jim

I would make the landing along the frame rail much wider with plug welds. :-k

Just a thought, what do you think about a bolt-in piece, no welding involved?

I think the only way a bolt in piece would work is to weld in sleeves in the frame rails (which would have to be welded in anyway. If you tried to bolt this to the factory frame rails they would just crush. You would have to do the same thing for the shock mount too, because you would crush the space between the inner fender and the factory shock mount. My 2

I like this idea better than using the stock shock mount with support, but what is everyone doing with the lower control arm, don't you need to support the rear of it once the torsion bars are removed or is it safe to run it the way it is? Seems to me the torsion bar helped stabilize the lower control arm. Would love to see some pic's of that if anyone has done this.

If this has been demonstrated to be a solid arrangement (are there threads on this?) I would be interested. I'm sure many others would like a simple solution less expensive than the Alterkation. Seems this also provides more open space than the Alterkation.

I like this idea better than using the stock shock mount with support, but what is everyone doing with the lower control arm, don't you need to support the rear of it once the torsion bars are removed or is it safe to run it the way it is? Seems to me the torsion bar helped stabilize the lower control arm. Would love to see some pic's of that if anyone has done this.

I am wondering the same thing and that's why I am throwing it out there. Wondering if anyone has done anything similar with the lower control arm.

Have you come up with an approximate price?....

I was wondering if someone would make those from the Mopar Muscle article...

John,

Do you know how big of a shock you could get in there? With that design the upper shock mount seems to be outward of the factory position a few inches? Just wondering cause I am thinking about doing the Coil over conversion on my 67. The forward bars of my cage will be in the inner fender wells and they will tie into the upper shock tower. hmmmm

I am pretty sure they reinforce the lower control arm also. I think a member here somewhere posted some pictures of how it is done. Going to try and find them.

John,

Do you know how big of a shock you could get in there? With that design the upper shock mount seems to be outward of the factory position a few inches? Just wondering cause I am thinking about doing the Coil over conversion on my 67. The forward bars of my cage will be in the inner fender wells and they will tie into the upper shock tower. hmmmm

I am pretty sure they reinforce the lower control arm also. I think a member here somewhere posted some pictures of how it is done. Going to try and find them.

Louis I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with the lower control arm and how it's tied into the torsion bar to help locate it. I think that will be the biggest issue. If you can figure it out then I will bend up a set for you for mock up. I will even pay shipping.

Louis I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with the lower control arm and how it's tied into the torsion bar to help locate it. I think that will be the biggest issue.

I think it was James Mopardude318 that reinforced his lowers. I pm'd him for a link to some pictures. I am sure he will surface with them.

Somewhere I seen some plugs for the torsion bar holes also, gunna try and find them too.

I think it was James Mopardude318 that reinforced his lowers. I pm'd him for a link to some pictures. I am sure he will surface with them.

Somewhere I seen some plugs for the torsion bar holes also, gunna try and find them too.

I'm sure that it can be done. I have honestly had no time to dig into it.

Could you add a thick plate to the stock shock mount and use the factory mounting hole for the coil over? Looks like moving the shock out that far would interfere with the upper control arm to much.

wow john, you are going crazy with these fab skills and making new parts for A bodies with your new tubing bender!!! nice work buddy!! is this setup strictly for race? how would it hold up to daily street driving? does it mess up suspension geometry at all? just wondering. :)

louis, all i did was get those LCA re-inforcement plates, and weld them on the bottom...they stiffen them up considerably for guys like me with sway bars...:) i will post pics soon. :)

wow john, you are going crazy with these fab skills and making new parts for A bodies with your new tubing bender!!! nice work buddy!! is this setup strictly for race? how would it hold up to daily street driving? does it mess up suspension geometry at all? just wondering.

Thanks, I try to stay busy. James I was just wondering if anyone has done anything similar as what they did in the MM article. I know they used a CAP K member and lower control arms with their setup, but I am just curious is anyone has attempted anything with the factory lower control arms and coilovers. It shouldn't mess with steering geometry at all by just moving the upper shock mount.

Could you add a thick plate to the stock shock mount and use the factory mounting hole for the coil over? Looks like moving the shock out that far would interfere with the upper control arm to much.

I am guessing the reason why they moved the coilover mount out is because there isn't enough clearance in the shock tower, but I'm not sure. I know there are extenders similar to this.

Attachments

• tubek10.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 507
-
Back