Collector Car Insurance

-

Tincup

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience (Good or Bad) with any of the specialty car insurance companys. I am looking to get some insurance on my build because I have a lot of $$$$ invested. So far I have seen;

Hagerty
Heacock (dosen't work in MA.)
Grundy
American Collectors.

i use hagerty and have used jc taylor. no problems but never filed a claim.

I haven,t dealt with any of them,I,m in Canada and use Silver Wheels.I had to have the cars appraised first,fax the appraisals.Now I pay $168 a year,but not as a daily driver.You have to have a secondary vehicle as your daily driver.Good luck.

P.S I had to state that I wanted A-19 policy for full replacement value.Don,t forget to inquire about replacement value.

I have been searching for an "Agreed Value" policy that does not have the usage restrictions of all the Classic Car Insurance companies, so far I have not found one.

I have even approached them willing to pay a premium amount equal to what a new car of the same value would pay and still no deal. Something to do with the way they are licensed to underwrite policies.

So for me I go with a standard policy with liability coverage and no collision. I know folks say just tell them that if anything happens you were on your way to a show. But that is fraud and they could deny the even the liability coverage and that could be more financially devastating if some one was hurt than the loss of the car.

I am insured thru my regular policy (Cincinnati Insurance Company). Rates are stupid cheap and they really don't seem to care that much about how I drive it as long as it isn't my primary source of transportation.

I have Grundy been very nice to deal with,i had the windshield replaced last summer they handled all the paper,did'nt cost me a dime,Hagerty refused me because i had a speeding ticket years ago.. besides they cost more then Grundy for the same coverage:thumbdow::thumbdow::thumbdow:

I'm considering Grundy. Just did an online quote and Haggerty was more than twice the premium than Grundy.

I just received collector plates and insurance for my car through ICBC.

(Insurance Corporation of British Columbia)

Total annual premium is $252/year, a savings of approx $1300/year.

I am not allowed to take the car to work as this coverage is for pleasure

use only.

I have recently applied for my "agreed value policy" but have not heard

back from the insurance company yet.

I have Hagerty on my car eventhough it's not being driven. Agreed value and once I sent pics that had no problem insuring it for the value I wanted.

Two qualifications for my policy was not being driven and in a secured garage or shop

Hagerty was way cheaper than the others in my case

I have Hagerty for 12+ years but have never had to file a claim. I am thinking about doing a little comparison shopping though.

state farm does agreed value plans. i was gonna get one but i have to wait for my accident to "leave", gotta wait about a year. the good thing about it is that it is regular insurance, you can drive your car any way at any time, and it has collision and all that, the bad is that it costs the same as regular insurance

you probably saw my horror story that turned into a beat down by some errr not so nice members......it pays to have good insurance from a name brand company. NO ISSUES ON MY CLAIM and an INDEPENDENT ADJUSTER.....fair deal to both me and the body shop.

No raise in rates. GO GRUNDY.

That's all I have to say.

MOP

no they dont. its stated value.

state farm does agreed value plans. i was gonna get one but i have to wait for my accident to "leave", gotta wait about a year. the good thing about it is that it is regular insurance, you can drive your car any way at any time, and it has collision and all that, the bad is that it costs the same as regular insurance

you probably saw my horror story that turned into a beat down by some errr not so nice members......it pays to have good insurance from a name brand company. NO ISSUES ON MY CLAIM and an INDEPENDENT ADJUSTER.....fair deal to both me and the body shop.

No raise in rates. GO GRUNDY.

That's all I have to say.

MOP

Glad to hear that...yeah...you did take a beating from fabo... aloha

From the web:

Stated vs. Agreed Value: The Trap Owners Must Learn to Avoid

Owners of classic or collectible cars often find themselves in something of an adversarial relationship with their insurance companies. Many new owners of specialty cars simply tack the vehicle on their regular coverage only to find out, generally when they file a claim, that to their insurer that beloved beauty is just an old car with a low Blue Book value.

The best avenue for owners of truly special machines is to go with one of the classic car insurance companies like Hagerty, Grundy, or American Collectors Insurance. Regardless of the insurer used, however, the owner must be prepared to negotiate from a position of knowledge, both about the automobile itself and about to types of insurance coverage, "stated value" and "agreed value." Both carry distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Stated Value Policies

Stated value coverage pays the cost of repair to the car or the stated value of the car, whichever is less, at the time that a claim is filed. There are a number of problems with this type of policy:

• The stated value is actually used only to determine the premium level. The higher the stated value, the higher the premium.
• In the event of a claim, the language of the contract allows the insurer to set an actual cash value instead of paying the stated amount as the insured party was given to believe.

Essentially, the company accepts the owner's stated value at the time the policy is issued, but does not issue any formal agreement with that value in the event of a claim. This gives them considerable leeway in honoring the benefits of the coverage. It's a rule of thumb in insurance that the company will always pay the least amount possible.

Agreed Value Policies

Agreed value guarantees a set amount of coverage agreed upon at the time the policy was issued and is generally accepted as the best position for the owners of classics, unique, or highly modified vehicles. It carries a number of advantages:

• Allows the driver to secure and present a professional appraisal of the vehicle that they accept as a valid representation of its worth.
• Unlike standard insurance, the value of your car does no depreciate over the life of the policy.
• Is the only type of coverage that guarantees the owners will be paid in full in the event of a loss.

Obviously agreed value is the prime position. By going with a classic or specialty car insurer, the driver may have to accept some limitation on driving time, but most of these companies are generous with their leisure driving allowances, especially if the car is well-protected and maintained. Insurance companies like to know a car is securely garaged and protected by anti-theft devices.

By being a knowledgeable negotiator and getting at least three comparison quotes, classic and specialty car owners can find coverage that is both comprehensive and affordable. The trick is to go with a company that appreciates the vehicle's intrinsic value from the start and that specializes in writing unique insurance products.

I've always had Hagerty insurance. I've only had to use it once when I needed a tow into the transmission shop last week. It was part of my coverage. I just called them and they took care of everything. Came to the house and picked it up. They even called back to make sure the flatbed arrived on time and asked if they did a good job for me. Asked if they were careful with the car. WOW! NO out of pocket expense:-D

Mahalo 70Duster440!

I have a call into my State Farm agent just to clarify.

But I can tell you this... with several vehicles I have insured only my Duster and Barracuda have Endorsements that state VEHICLE VALUE (With the price listed) and ANTIQUE OR CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLE.
My newer cars do not have such endorsements.

Once I hear back I will post up.

Aloha

I put in a few quotes yesterday on an "Agreed Value" policy for 35K. Hagerty was about $600, Grundy was $300, and American was about $280 for all the same coverage. I think I am going to go with American because they will do a "Comprehensive" only which is just fire and theft (my car won't be on the road for at least another year) for $112 for the year. I'll sleep easier knowing that I won't loose everything in case of a fire.

ask the state farm agent to show you where the policy says they will pay that value with no restrictions, he wont find it.

ask the state farm agent to show you where the policy says they will pay that value with no restrictions, he wont find it.

Talk to the agent (State Farm)...long story short...if you have a value stated in your policy it is not guaranteed that, that will be the amount they pay out. They would still get appraisals..and determine it from that... so it could be less...or more...(Doubtful)

off to Grundy..I go....

Mahalo fabo....

Aloha

Have you checked Hartford (http://hartfordauto.com/Insurance-Quote/classic-car-insurance.shtml/?PLCode=640018)? They seemed to be pretty ok with both my claims in the past. I did know someone who had his classic insured with them at agreed value. The guy was stranded at the other end of the city during a vintage car drive. His car was towed back by assistance from Hartford! Not too many insurers do that from what I understand.

I insured mine with Farmers (since the house and other cars are with them) as a "collector car" for about $150 a year for an "agreed upon value" of $15000. That carries a $500 collision deductable. Limitations are kind of vague regarding driving which is fine for me, because it really is a weekend car for me.

I ended up going with American collector car ins, I got just fire and theft for $122 for the year on $35K. It will go up to about $300 with full coverage. Easy to do Online and nice people to talk to on the phone.

-
Back