considering swapping my \6\ for a \8/

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
I am considering swapping out my \6\ with a \8/. I tbought the 273 would be a likely candidate for it since it is the smaller engine I believe and it would be going into my 63 Dart convertible.
I know the 318s are very plentiful but dont know size comparison to the 273 so if anyone can enlighten me on possible issues or caveats in cramming this into the restricted engine compartment of the 63 I would appreciate it.
Thanks a bunch in advance, and since this is just some mental masturbation on my part I would enjoy your thoughts.
cheers.
John

273/318/340/360 are all the same dimensions externally. 360 takes a different engine mount on one side, but that's it. Other than that, all the differences are internal, so if you can fit a 273, you can fit any of the others.

I put a 318 in my '64 and it fit perfectly. the issue is the bump in your firewall where the wiper motor goes. in '63 it interferes with a V-8. in '64 they changed it.
to go with a V-8 you have to lose that bump.

In a 63 dart there is a bump on the firewall where the wiper motor is that needs to be moved in so that the distributor on the v8 will clear.

Rather than beat up the firewall and relocate the wiper motor, I would consider another option for ignition. I mounted a 36-1 toothed wheel on my SB's crank pulley, with a Ford VR pickup on the water pump (see post). You can then use the Ford EDIS module to fire distributor-less coils. Fairly cheap parts, but you need an ECU to command spark advance. Many people use Megasquirt for that, which also gets you ready for EFI. I haven't selected an ECU yet, so still using my distributor. If you are in no rush to install the V-8, I would research such options before mangling the car. Another option is a Magnum V-8. It has a small distributor that might fit, but you must use its ECU too.

Thanks for the input, I knew there was something diff on the 63 because it only offered the
\6\ that year.
I will see what I can find on your suggestion Bill. I am in no hurry to swap, just future tripping. I wonder at the logic of spending on upgrading the \6\ as opposed to upgrading the \8/ and was not aware of the sameness of the sbb line of engines. I do like the economy of the \6\ and would like to get good power and good economy, we all know thats possible right? ;-)
All help is greatly appreciated keep it coming.
Thanks

Think it over hard. It isn't just the engine, but you must change the tranny & driveshaft. Most people then change the rear-end to handle the V-8, then need disk brakes, change to 4.5" bolt pattern wheels, most V-8 tranny's wouldn't match your shift cable, ... etc.

There are many high-end sporty cars w/ 6 cyl (or less) engines (BMW, Audi, ...). A few guys run 11 sec qtr mile with a slant six, albeit with a turbocharger. Wait a few years and someone may sell an exhaust to make adding a turbo easy. That would be ideal - power and good mileage. Then everybody who junked their six for a V-8 will want to go back.

I personally don't like the lack of room in the early a engine bay with the small block. But, I have been spoiled by having lots of good reliable slant powered cars over the years.

if you run a big block, the distributor wont be a problem, but many other things will. or you can just build a nice running slant. you can get nice rods and pistons, keep your forged crank thats in it. put some money into the head, big valves and raised compression. 4 brrl carb and headers.......

with a later model 318/ 360 with smog heads.....273 exhaust manifold will have a problem on drivers side.....

Thanks for all the replies, always seems to be a quest for more power on our cars! Something about getting more ΔV from them.
Looks like the best thing is get another \6\ and rebuild it and replace my worn one to keep the down time short.
I realize most all heads are interchangable, anyone have input on the best year for an engine and head? One without drool tubes perhaps?
Thanks.

2 things gained by using the later heads, first you get rid of the tubes, second is you get factory hard seats.

Take your time. I see good slant engines given away. williaml recently posted one, but East Coast. Neatest I saw were rebuilt slants in wooden crates on ebay a few years ago, mil surplus. You might want to avoid ~80+ engines w/ hydraulic lifters since less power and non-adjustable rockers.

2 things gained by using the later heads, first you get rid of the tubes, second is you get factory hard seats.

One thing to consider; drool tube heads make it possible to remove the lifters with the head still on the car... a plus if you ever want to swap cams.

Drool tubes usually don't leak if the seals (O-rings?) are fresh.

-
Back