Control arm bushings question

-

moparduster

Reaction score
Control arm bushings on my 71 Duster are shot. Looking on summit and I see that there are some with shells for 45 and without shells for 27. Please give me some advice on which I should get. i know the shells are the metal sleeves.

If the original bushing is removed without damaging the original outer shell, poking a new bushing in that is acceptable. Rotation is attempting to rip the bond of rubber to steel at the inner andr outer shells anyway. Bottom line it doesn't make a lot of difference, just determine which you will need before you order. If you haven't taken it apart yet, the safe bet is buy complete with outer shells.

I'd buy the complete set. I had an issue when i removed the rubber not all of it came out. If you don't get those shells clean your new bushings will not sit right or completely go at all.

I replaced the shot rubber lower control arm bushings in my 73 Dart Sport today and the outer shells were already out, so I am guessing they were replaced a time or two. The rubber bushings I removed said HARRIS FG 6H95 on them. The parts I used went in perfect and what a happy guy I am! 4-205-BL is the part number for the Prothane Motion bushings I got, cost me 11.25 before shipping from summit. Came with a small tube of ptfe lubricant. Now to put it back together, and not have an really bad toe/camber change like before.

The ones I removed were rubber, the new bushings are polyurethane. Again, it fit perfect, pressed right in. I did try to look up the old part's number, but it seems to be a product that is no longer available. Could be a part designed to replace the factory bushing without an outer shell, that was made prior to the popularity of poly bushings. I will have to post a picture of the old ones and the new parts installed.

Poly bushings have been around a long time. They are not really recommended for the LCA due to the loose fit and the ability of the arm to walk on the bushing.

-
Back