Converter upgrade worth it?

-
Really? Ok, I can call him Monday, it would be nice not to waste $600.

PM me if you think about selling it. Fits my project parameters and keeps you from having to store it for.......?

Or I'd appreciate the contact info and or part number.

Last edited:
I will do that after I talk to Andre. It will probably be good information for both of us.

Just remember they are called Torque Converters......the stall will depend on the torque of the engine....low torque engine...low stall speed...put the same converter behind an engine with more torque...and higher stall speed....aka Torque Converter.

That's been my experience too with a 3000 converter. Blast off the line and slippery mushy shifts at part throttle. Mine came back out too.

A loose converter will appear to slip a little at low rpm but when you nail it your instantly higher in the power band of the engine and it'll take off much stronger. It is possible what Kim said about them not getting something right when they built it cause I run a 4000 stall in my car with 3:55 gears and it doesn't stall much at all at lower rpm unless I'm starting off on an incline

In my Dart I have a stock '74 360 with x heads on it. They are 68cc, I have measured to approximately 8.4 CR it has a xe268 cam with 3.55 suregrip, 904 transmission, 25 inch tires. Runs well now with a stock 1800- 2000? stall converter. Would I find a noticeable improvement with a custom converter?

IMO, yes, very much so. Don't be afraid to go on up in RPM with the flash RPM. I would not be afraid to go to a 3000. Converter technology is such that you can get one that will be tight like a stock converter on the street, but flash to whatever you have the company build it to on launch. Spend good money on it. That means if you don't spend 400 bucks or more, it's not a good one. Save up if you have to. The converter is perhaps the single most important part of an auto street car.

3400 converter from Edge in 727 behind 360 (approx. 450/450 crank) XS282S cam ported heads...

Andre must have asked me 50+ questions about the complete car.
Dont guess, be specific and honest with answers if you want it built right.

He nailed mine. Feels like being launched from a slingshot.
I'm a convert, no more manual transmissions.
High stall converters back in the late 70's/80's were total crap on the street.
Not anymore.
Completely streetable.
And FUN.

-
Back