Coolant leakage (Barracuda -69)

-

Levin

Reaction score
There has been some leakage by the water neck - see picture. I thought this was due to a bad gasket. Because of this I changed the gasket (Fel-Pro 35145 - Fel-Pro Water Neck Gaskets). Afterwards I took the car for a test drive and it was worse than ever - lots of smoke and coolant all over the place under the hood.

Any ideas what I should try?

Attachments

• Cuda_leakage.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 354
Yep. I could never get the thermostat housing on mine to not seep/leak. This was with stock parts, or the nice chrome housing I tried, that you have too. One thing finally worked. And you'll never need to mess with gaskets again. Here is the solution: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-90820/overview/make/dodge
This is made from solid, billet aluminum. Not a cheap pot metal casting like the "chrome" ones! Can't warp, uses no gaskets, and no sealant. Just an o-ring. Absolutely 100% leak proof.

I'd try the obvious stuff first.
Remove and inspect gaskets, remove and test the Thermostat in some boiling water to make sure it's opening. replace gaskets and use some sealant, make sure the bolts are tight. Start and see what happens.

Get yourself some of..The Right Stuff(RTV).It is by far the best silicone sealer out there.You could even just do away with the gasket if you wanted..it works that good.JMO

I had this problem too! I talked to an old Mopar guy here locally and he suggested I buy the good water pump/thermostat sealant from Permatex (I think it's grey in color). Clean both surfaces very well, slather the sealant on both sides of the gasket, the intake and the thermostat housing. Put it all together and tighten the bolts only finger tight, wait 30 minutes and then tighten them with a socket. It worked like a champ for me and has been leak free for three years.

Try an old water neck. I hear some of the chrome ones don't seal properly....

There have been a lot of posts about the chrome water necks leaking. I don't know from experience since I never had one. I can say this... When I install a thermostat housing I use RTV on the gasket and the bolt threads. I give the stuff time to cure before adding coolant. That's the part that so many miss. Sure its easy access and only 2 bolts. That doesn't make it a 5 minute job.

I would remove it and put a straight edge on the sealing surface to see if it's warped. Quite often if you over tighten the housing bolts you can easily warp the sealing surface by bending the bolt hole area. Since the gasket/sealant is soft there isn't anything solid for the ears to push up against so they bend down. If the sealing surface is warped then that's your problem. If it's not warped then it's the way you're sealing it. I've taken a warped housing and using sand paper on a very flat surface I sand it flat then carefully re-install without over torquing. Most of those newer chrome plated housing are made of chrome plated pot metal. The old cast iron housing were the best.

treblig

"I had this problem too! I talked to an old Mopar guy here locally and he suggested I buy the good water pump/thermostat sealant from Permatex (I think it's grey in color). Clean both surfaces very well, slather the sealant on both sides of the gasket, the intake and the thermostat housing. Put it all together and tighten the bolts only finger tight, wait 30 minutes and then tighten them with a socket. It worked like a champ for me and has been leak free for three years."

I will go for this approach and in addition I will "sand paper" the chrome since it seems this is not the best of material to seal fluids.

throw that chrome one away.i got an aluminium one from mancini,along with black rtv,your leaks will be history

I had the same problem earlier this year and it took a few tries to get it to stop leaking. Used two different types of sealant (separate attempts) with a gasket and neither sealant worked. Then block sanded both the top the the manifold and the bottom of the housing used a gasket and sealant and that didn't work either. What finally worked was using two gaskets instead of one with sealant. Problem solved.

throw that chrome one away.i got an aluminium one from mancini,along with black rtv,your leaks will be history

I went with the same fill neck and method. So far no leaks

The previous chrome one developed chips on the inside around the neck housing. Not sure if that cause the leaks or not

On gaskets like that, I coat both sides w/ Permatex "gasket sealant". It is purple gummy stuff that never hardens. Cleans easy w/ ethanol. Works on bolt threads too. Easier to remove old gaskets in the future too. Also get the thickest gasket you can find.

Now have I
1) sandpaper it to get rid of the chrome and make it less warped
2) put it in place with the gasket and some Permatex Ultra Blue
3) tighten the bolts with my fingers - will wait an hour before tighten them. The Permatex needs 24 hours before completely dry, hence I'll not try it until tomorrow evening.
To be continued...

Attachments

• DSC_0255.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0256.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 226
Yep. I could never get the thermostat housing on mine to not seep/leak. This was with stock parts, or the nice chrome housing I tried, that you have too. One thing finally worked. And you'll never need to mess with gaskets again. Here is the solution: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-90820/overview/make/dodge
This is made from solid, billet aluminum. Not a cheap pot metal casting like the "chrome" ones! Can't warp, uses no gaskets, and no sealant. Just an o-ring. Absolutely 100% leak proof.

does the manifold or housing have to be o ring seal ready or is it soley for the waterneck..... follow?

69 340, i JUST ORDERED THE PART YOU RECOMMENDED, CHANGED THE Gasket on the chrome housing and had no luck, after bringing the car up to a temperature of 210 it started leaking, will let you know how it turns out after i install the billet housing, will also put in a new 180 degree thermostat. 68 340 10 to 1 comp.

id be pissed right about now...... are you sure the fluid isnt getting past the hose and clamp? and dripping down....ive been having a slight issue with that happening on mine after i put new hose on at both ends and with an iron waterneck...it seeps...

You can also get the housing in natural or polished stainless steel, but there expensive.

Attachments

• F15197041.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 182
  • F15197046.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 187
69 340, i JUST ORDERED THE PART YOU RECOMMENDED, CHANGED THE Gasket on the chrome housing and had no luck, after bringing the car up to a temperature of 210 it started leaking, will let you know how it turns out after i install the billet housing, will also put in a new 180 degree thermostat. 68 340 10 to 1 comp.

Sorry but Im confused here. 69 340 GTS, the one he recommended from Summit doesnt take a gasket, it uses an o-ring?
If you go with OEM style, scrap the gasket, use "the right stuff" RTV on both surfaces, AS WELL AS on the bolt threads. Install everything, snug up and leave it over night to cure. (obviously make sure coolant is drained) and DO NOT top up coolant until the following day after all is cured.

If you go with OEM style, scrap the gasket, use "the right stuff" RTV on both surfaces, AS WELL AS on the bolt threads. Install everything, snug up and leave it over night to cure. (obviously make sure coolant is drained) and DO NOT top up coolant until the following day after all is cured.
Yes. That. RTV, no gasket. It works.

key word here *************** "the right stuff" gasket maker by permatex******* if it leaks after using that..... there is no hope..... that stuff is the best on the market.

The o-ring style uses no gaskets and no sealant of any kind. And doesn't leak one drop if installed properly.

-
Back