Cooling problem SOLVED

-

66dartgt

Reaction score
I don't post very often, but thought some of you folks might find my story interesting.

About 6 years or more ago I finished installing a 60 over warmed up 318 in my 66 dart vert. I had the core redone at a very competent local shop using a high efficiency 2 row core in the original radiator. I had the correct shroud and what I thought was the correct clutch fan and new clutch. It would not cool - 210F and more as you drove it, very spikey temperature peaks and valleys.

OK - I checked the robertshaw thermostat - confirmed it opened at 180 on the stove using a thermometer. Hmmmm. I swapped fans for a solid drive 7 blade fan. No dice, better but still too hot - it was running at around 210 and would not stay steady at idle or moving down the road for more than about 5 miles or so.

I decided to check the water pump - it was new when I assembled the motor, pulled it off - nothing suspect - 8 blade impeller matched with the correct pulleys on the crank and pump. I decided to install an anti-cavitation plate on the pump - just to boost water flow - Nope still runs hot and would continue to go up in temp as you drove - idled whatever.

Obviously I was not driving the car much - just little short runs to car shows a few miles away, nothing major. I also have another dart which is completely restoed that I will drive as well. Time as we all know has a way of getting out of your grasp...each summer I would mess with it and not get what I wanted. I figured the 60 over block was not helping matters either, hot spots thin walls - the usual stuff people theorize about...

I ended up buying a recored 69 dart radiator and shroud that boasted 3 rows off the internet that someone had used in their early A body w v8. Well that was better, but it would still rise in temp and not recover unless you stopped driving it.

3 years ago I installed an AL radiator and it was better maybe now around 200F, but it still was not there. It would rise in temp to stupid levels if you drove long enough. I decided to try making a shroud last year - which I completed, but never installed.

last year I went to the Nats and met up with the radiator folks from Wausaw WI - They guaranteed they could rebuild the oem radiator and make the thing cool. OK - I sent them the thing last fall and finally installed it about 2 weeks ago, this was with the correct shorud and a 7 blade solid drive fan. It was much better, but it would still rise in temp if you allowed it, it would get up to 205F and sit there, at least it was not spiking and continuing to rise as badly. Hmmmm.

I looked at the inlet and outlet temps on the radiator with an infrared thermometer. 205 outlet and 147F inlet - WHAT ??????? That is a huge temp difference - I concluded that the pump was inadequate. It made no sense to me with everything I had done over the time I had been working with this thing....

I researched the various high vol water pumps on the market. Last week while on a business trip - I visited the biggest nationally known speed parts dealer and physically compared stock, Brand M and Brand F water pumps for my application in the store. Brand M and stock are IDENTICAL, except for the price. I can say with ALL confidence that only one of these pumps that is truly high volume is brand F.

I bought a brand F and installed it on Saturday - A very interesting experience. When I got the old pump off the engine - I examined the impeller. Guess what - it spins like it is on bearings ! BUT - it does so without the fan side of the shaft turning. MEANING that the impeller was free wheeling - NOW, keep in mind this was a high quality NEW pump when I installed it, not from the cheapo chain parts stores. I guess even the "high quality new parts" are made outside the US. I wonder how long that impeller was going to stay on the shaft - it was like the end of the shaft was peened over enough to retain the impeller. It made no funky noises nothing, just as smooth as a bearing when rotating......Can you imagine the flight of foul language I used at that point, but also mixed with that I finally FOUND IT feeling ?

The best part of this whole thing ? NOW - The car never gets over 180 whether I flog the crap out of it or sit at traffic lights - or both !!!

It runs like it should have from the beginning. Thank God.

That can and does happen, and it sucks to figure out unless you are willing to physically check it. (like you did)

Glad you got it.

I too in 1973 had that happen. The car was a friends mother's 66 Valiant 170 3 on the tree. She bought it new. Six years later when no one could keep it from overheating parked it and bought a new 72 Scamp. She sold me the car for $16, all the money I had in my pocket. It took awhile but finally found the problem like you, propeller spinning loose on the shaft. You are the only one that I have heard that happen to in 41 years.A real mind bender, New parts ? They can't be bad......:toothy7:

I have had the same problem with a mopar performance pump it ran hotter with the new pump on than the old leaking one. Good find glad it got straighten out enjoy the ride.

Glad that yu found it.

I had a water pump shaft let go on me once. Took out my pulley and radiator, then I had to change it in a gas station on the side of the road in 20° F temps... :banghead:

Glad you folks enjoyed the story - it sure took a long time to sort out. As mentioned above, I have NEVER seen an impeller do this on a mopar or any car for that matter (but I am not a professional mechanic either), but I've been farting around with cars for over 35 years. It never ceases to make me stop shaking my head when I think about this. I guess I could second guess myself on this and say why did I not do this sooner, ugh. I hate spending money to chase problems.....but its all good now !

That is something important to remember. Thank you for sharing! Next time I get a new pump I am putting some rotational force on the nose and the impeller to see if it is on there.

This should have been easy to figure out if you have a heater. If not, then, not

The impeller rusted off the shaft on my old 64 426 one time. It did NOT have a heater, and took a few days before I found it. I had the pump lying on the ground, and tripped on the pump with my big feet.

It "clinkled". "Clinkle" says I? Water pumps don't "clinkle."

I had this same thing happen years ago on a Chevy 292 powered 8" lake water pump that ran on propane. It had a coil inside the pipe that was cooled by the water that was being pumped and had no radiator. The regulator for the propane would ice up. I chased that problem for a while and finally I woke up one morning about 5 am I went out to the pump and found the impeller spinning. Glad you found yours too!

The Milodon pump I run has the impeller stop welded to the shaft to prevent the spinning and they add an anti cavitation plate. The casting is the same as a parts store GMP.

Milodon (local in town) said they reset the impeller to gasket mating surface distance before they weld them. And they say the GMP pumps they get are all over the place distance wise.

When I installed the original pump the impeller was tight on the shaft so it had to have loosened sometime after the first time I pulled it out and installed the anticavitation plate, because it was still tight then as well. Keep in mind this car probably only had 250 miles on it from the time when the engine was installed and now.

AS to the different pumps - I looked at the stock and milodon pumps, they had the same impeller and distance from the pump body that i could see using my eye. I did not notice whether the impeller was tack welded on to the shaft on either of them.

Maybe a good lesson would be to add a tack weld to the impeller and the shaft ?

As to the heater trick - the car has a heater and I did use that at different times to attempt adding extra cooling to the equation....

Anyway - its fixed and I expect the car to get a lot more miles on it now !!!

When I installed the original pump the impeller was tight on the shaft so it had to have loosened sometime after the first time I pulled it out and installed the anticavitation plate, because it was still tight then as well. Keep in mind this car probably only had 250 miles on it from the time when the engine was installed and now.

AS to the different pumps - I looked at the stock and milodon pumps, they had the same impeller and distance from the pump body that i could see using my eye. I did not notice whether the impeller was tack welded on to the shaft on either of them.

Maybe a good lesson would be to add a tack weld to the impeller and the shaft ?

As to the heater trick - the car has a heater and I did use that at different times to attempt adding extra cooling to the equation....

My aluminum 70 and up water pump had an anti cavitation plate and it and the impeller were welded to the shaft.

The specific distance setting on the impeller would be closer than something you could not see with your eye. You'd need a straight edge and maybe a feeler gauges. Milodon just said there was a lot of variability. So you might get one that is ok, or you might not. Just not good quality control. Probably same reason you got an impeller than came apart on you originally.

The thing about the heater..........if the pump was not working, you should have gotten very little or no heat out of it.

Right. I was thinking that as well based on your comment. The times I tried to cool it by using the beater it threw lots of heAt. Obviously if I had done that last week it would have been a sign as well. I wAs thinking that maybe you can look through the bypass outlet at the impeller and turn the shaft by hand without tearing Apart too ? I'll have to look at that when I get back home .

infrared thermometers are a wonderful thing. i use mine on a daily basis in the refrigeration trade and on my cars all the time. sweet u figured it out.

-
Back