Craftsman Tools "proudly made in china"

-
Harbor freights hand tools now have a lifetime warranty.

Buy harbor freight and cut out almost all of American proffit.

I was at a Sears furiture store years ago looking at a coffee table. The salesman came over and said it is a top quality table made in the USA. As I inspect it a bit more to see how it is put toghther I look underneth and in big black letters it said Product of Indonesia.
I point it out to the sales guy and his answer was...."as long as it is assembled in the U.S they can say it was made there".
So all they do it put the legs on....really...thanks...I will pass...anything built in North America for sale here!!!!
Ended up building my own..at least I knew where the wood came from...LOL
AL

I also built my own furniture. the metal was still made in thailand. ha ha ha

ok, so only thing i'm sure about that is made in usa is a Henry Rifle. so, Ill take my american made Henry rifle, put in some of my russian made bullets and shoot all the zombies.

Now here is another thought, the most american made pick up truck, with the most made in america parts, assembled etc. is...............A damn Toyota. now that takes the cake.

The solution is simple, import tax on anything outside and that will solve the debt and also make the US competitive wage again. But you will have to take the Henry rifle with russan bullets and kill all the politicians in DC to pull it off, as everyone is in their pockets except the US citizens. all those terriost could do us a favor and take out DC. what a better place the world would be!. just my 2 cents.

Bottom line is, most companies can make a decent profit making it here in the USA, but would rather go overseas so they can reap big profits.
As long as we continue to purchase sub-standard parts, tools & other items, don't look for anything to change.
Greed is the key word here. When was last time any company was glad to just make a profit, never.
I blame us, the American buyer for accepting it.

Harbor freights hand tools now have a lifetime warranty.

Buy harbor freight and cut out almost all of American proffit.

You can offer a lifetime warranty when it doesn't cost much to make & you are relying on the average customer to just throw away the broken tool instead of pursueing a replacement.

Bottom line is, most companies can make a decent profit making it here in the USA, but would rather go overseas so they can reap big profits. As long as we continue to purchase sub-standard parts, tools & other items, don't look for anything to change. Greed is the key word here. When was last time any company was glad to just make a profit, never. I blame us, the American buyer for accepting it.
when in reality if they were to make and assemble everything here in the us prove that they have done so and advertise it as so their sales would more than likely skyrocket...

I don't care what country Craftsman is made in ...I am staying loyal to Craftsman.

Pretty much my sentiment. My only issue with being made in china is the bit about violating human rights to make the parts.

American tool companies have trouble competing because of unions driving up wages of employees, greedy companies, and not being able to show a real advantage to the average joe.

Forget about your "buy american"...

Even if it's "made in U.S." - who guarantees that the company isn't owned to 99% by chinese investors? And that they for a bigger profit lower the quality?

Here in Germany we've the same problem - some of wellknown, traditional german companies are sold to a bunch of international investors, that are only interested in profit. As a result of this the quality get worse, the customers realize it and buy at another manufacturer. The investors sell the - dead - company and can save taxes because they get less than they paid the years before...

And that's worldwide - US companie GM killed Opel, one of Germany best car-manufacturers. Chinese investors killed Braun, Telefunken, Dual - that where great companies for HiFi-equipment. At the end they produced crap for supermarkets....

We want to buy cheaper and kill our own jobs...

I had my wife pu a 108 piece Craftsman toolset for a Christmas gift for my adult son. It seemed like a good deal at $50 which was 50% off the supposedly normal price. It has a couple of ratchets and a bunch of assorted sockets in a plastic case. I was really surprised on closer inspection I could not find USA marked on any of the tools. It was only when I looked around on the molded case that I found the "made in China" almost hidden on a label. These tools do not look as refined as the USA made craftsman that I own, much more like the cheaper Asian made tools you might see at a rack at Autozone. I thought that there was some requirement that the country of origin had to be marked on the product?

Sure was a disappointment, I had even commented to my wife before she left to go shopping that I was glad that at least Craftsman handtools were still made here! Apparently I am behind the times about 2 years ....

Point the blame in whatever direction you want, but in the end, the blame lies in the mirror. We the consumer, want everything as cheap as we can get it. That's the problem and nothing else.

:d

Attachments

• a-couple-family-in-christmas-1961-nl-ph-walter-blum.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 280
Just today my neighbor was trying to get the retainer ring back in his Craftsman ratching box combo wrench. Great Big clubby thing, looks like it's made out of junk steel.

Point the blame in whatever direction you want, but in the end, the blame lies in the mirror. We the consumer, want everything as cheap as we can get it. That's the problem and nothing else.

Certainly true on a large scale, but tools have always been one area I have tried to get the best I could afford. Sears used to carry two lines of tools, one was craftsman that was made in USA and another line ( can't remember the name) that was the cheaper Asian models. Felt we we duped on this one a bit, will tell my son that I will take it back after Christmas to see if we can find some USA made somewhere.

Craftsman tools have been made in china for almost 20 years now. They were allowed to say made in usa because they were chrome plated here but the tools were actually made over seas. I've had good luck with them and will stick with them. I've broke more snapon tools than all others put together. That being said, I have never broke any of my s-k tools and some of them are going on 40 years old;)

I like Proto tools. They are Stanley's high end tools and are made in the USA or Canada. Acklands sells them... I am going to slowly start buying more of these tools, they are pricey, but high quality. My work uses all Proto tools and I have yet to break any of there hand tools under tons of abuse. I really like there anti slip wrenches and torque wrenches.

Craftsman Tools were traditionally made by a company called Vermont American. Look at some of the wrenches and such, you'll see ' V A' stamped in many of them. Looks like they were bought out by Bosch.

I like Proto tools. They are Stanley's high end tools and are made in the USA or Canada. Acklands sells them... I am going to slowly start buying more of these tools, they are pricey, but high quality. My work uses all Proto tools and I have yet to break any of there hand tools under tons of abuse. I really like there anti slip wrenches and torque wrenches.

+1

I'm working on replacing any tools that need it with Proto. Great quality.

FYI, you can thank your party you all seem to feel so strongly about when asking why they would move our manufacturing plants overseas. I am sure those on the right can give you exactly what you deserve...

All my tools as well as all my vehicles are made right here in the U.S of A.......... :)

its all about money, rich men wat to keep being rich so when they die theyre ungrateful sons and daughters never have to work hard and they do watever they want. and the poor and middle class want more money also, so in a quest for the gold so to speak we all f ourselves. cause think about it. any of you who are professional techs, would you be willing to take a pay cut and get rid of the toys and fancy houses and make 30 an hour rather than 60?

Ive got a set of older Made in the US Kobalts, Craftsmen, and some OLD Stanley tools, never failed me yet... We use Proto at work in the Navy, high quality tools, but PRICEY... I keep trying to get my hands on a set of Proto rachets but supply keeps those kits under lock and key haha.

its all about money, rich men wat to keep being rich so when they die theyre ungrateful sons and daughters never have to work hard and they do watever they want. and the poor and middle class want more money also, so in a quest for the gold so to speak we all f ourselves. cause think about it. any of you who are professional techs, would you be willing to take a pay cut and get rid of the toys and fancy houses and make 30 an hour rather than 60?

Hell I would be overjoyed if I could make 30 an hour. In over 30 years I still dont make that.

How about a list of those companies that do make their products in U.S.A.

I believe these companies still do:
Armstrong tool
Channellock
Ecklind
Klein
Lisle
Proto
OTC
Ridgid ( a few pieces are imported)
S-K Tool
Snap On ( Some of their stuff is imported now too)
Wilde
Wright Tool

Anybody know of more or contradictions to those above?

I like Proto tools. .

Even Proto aren't what they once were, unless Stanley has started a turn around

Proto was once Plumb, and were some of the very best tools made

Then about "the eighties" you could see the chrome wasn't done as well here and there. the problem is, you can't find anyone who sells stuff like this.

I've got (old) Craftsman, Proto, S&K, Armstrong. All of 'em were good in their day

-
Back