Custom Pertronix question

-

Riff Raff

Reaction score
Having an issue finding the proper conversion kit for an old Mallory dual point. Am wondering if I could simply drill and tap the breaker plate and secure the module with the proper air gap or is there a lot more involved with rotor phasing.

IMG_20230730_074807388_HDR.jpg
? BTW this on my 364 Nailhead. Thanks, Jeff

Rotor phasing is absolutely an issue, and with the poor and expensive availability of parts for those old girls, it might be tough, and you'd have to cut up a cap in order to resolve it. If you are enough of a craftsman to make the new mount variable (to change the trigger timing) it could be done. I would not. Before I did Pertronix (because of their proprietary rotor/ trigger wheel) I would machine someone's reluctor whether Ford, Mopar or HEI, and adapt it to a magnetic trigger or even Hall effect. And with that you could run a choice of some different modules

What you need, is a way to "justify" the rotor position at the point of trigger. If you don't want to cut up caps, If you were able to construct a test gap that accurately reflects a tower position on the cap "exactly" you could also do it that way.

Yeah I certainly don't have the talent for that. In my naivety I thought eyeball it, set an air gap and hope for keep my ngers crossed. I'm trying a different part # from pertronix that looks more promising. Hopefully it'll be the ticket. I would've never even gone this route if a reliable points manufacturer could be sourced but all I can find is product I don't have faith in. NOS stuff is off the charts but I may have to bite the bullet. I haven't touched the points and condenser in 12 years and it's performed flawlessly. Even after driving in heavy rain storms.

I would not even try to adapt one call them they actually might have one for that unit. personally you got 12 years out of points buy a spare set now so you have them. Mallory stuff has really dried up. Or even better find a stock distributor and use that since stock parts are out there and also re made in most cases.

Last edited:
Solid advice guys. Ill see what the new unit looks like and hopefully it'll work. If not I'll open the wallet and wait for nos point sets. Thanks for the help!

I might actually have a core. Need more info Year, displacement carb and transmission.

Bummer. I appreciate the help. Just going back to points. I'll hit up the traditional hot rod guys.

-
Back