Dash cover or dash cap for a '69 Barracuda?

-

KidBlue

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new A-Bodier ('69 Barracuda fastback) and just getting my footing for the correct terms and nomenclature.

I've got a cracked dash (the upper portion) and was considering a cover for it, in lieu of a full-on replacement, something that a nitwit like me can install over the existing, damaged dash.

Is what I'm looking for called a "dash cap cover" or a "dash cover" or a "dash cap"? Would something like that be an appropriate temporary fix?

Attachments

• IMG_8245.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 233
I did dash cap on my 72 valiant. Very pleased. I think it was $80. I've had it on for 5 years, no issues

I did a cap on my 67 barracuda no problems and looks good as posted above about 80 bucks and 20 minutes of time.

Is there a particular manufacturer who is considered the standard for dash caps? My '69 dash seems a little more specific than other A's, so the options seem a little limited. I guess anything 67-69 will fit.

You could buy a cap for$80.

But be aware there is a very good complete repro dash pad made same the process like original available from www.beaparts.com for ~$225

Thanks. That pad is exactly what I'm looking for, although I am anticipating a complete dash-redo (gauge bezel, new gauges), so the cap is really the temporary aesthetic fix as I save up for the big job. Seems like B/E&A is really well-respected around here, too. The cap is something I can do myself right away compared to the pad and gauge work a little later on.

Not terribly hard to change an A-body pad. You'll have to unscrew and take out the glove box and unscrew the dash gauges.

Maybe someone here can post of picture from the repair manual that shows where the nuts are behind the pad that attach to dash frame.

It takes some work to glue on a dash cap so it looks halfway decent and will handle some time in the sun too. There's going to be work both ways.

If you plan on buying a $225 pad later and buying a $80 cap now, putting on a pad now would be like paying $145 since your saving $80.

I owe the car the purchase of a proper repair manual. If removing the existing pad is half as easy as you suggest, then you're absolutely right - it would neither preclude doing it nor make it that difficult to do again when I'm ready to do the gauges and bezel.

No its not easy to R&R a dash pad. That rally panel is more difficult than others since it encompasses the climate controls and radio. It's somewhat fragile too. I've always recommended this... pull it once. do everything you can do while in there. Put it back and be done with it for years to come.
Now to suggest your method to the madness... Buy the shell type cap. Keep its shipper/box. Lay it in place without or with minimal silicone adhesive.
When you are prepared to renew from the glove box cardboard liner to the wiper pivot seals,,, geter done. At some point you can resell that cap.

Does anyone know if the '68 Barracuda cap (specifically from DashCaps.com, any of these) will fit the '69. I'm looking for the upper portion only. It seems as if it will, especially that top portion, and I can't find anything specific to the '69.

69-76 has same shape and will interchange

Does anyone know if the '68 Barracuda cap (specifically from DashCaps.com, any of these) will fit the '69. I'm looking for the upper portion only. It seems as if it will, especially that top portion, and I can't find anything specific to the '69.

NO. The turned down ends on a 68 cap are cut shorter to the point where they married up to that models lower pads. All other year models are complete to a tapered finished end.

My 67 cuda is an oddball year dash pad. I will be going with the 69/76 dash pad for mine as well. It looks similar enough to pass as any local show. I thought about a dash cap, but i have the whole thing apart might as well just get the new pad.

Another poster on this thread also said, and i agree, do the wiper shaft seals, and everything else you need to get at while the dash is apart to put a new dash pad on. Then you wont have to mess with it again.

Matt

I sent my 69 Barracuda dash pad to "Just Dashes" and they recovered the whole thing. It came out great too but it did take a while to get it back.

My 67 cuda is an oddball year dash pad. I will be going with the 69/76 dash pad for mine as well. It looks similar enough to pass as any local show. I thought about a dash cap, but i have the whole thing apart might as well just get the new pad.

Another poster on this thread also said, and i agree, do the wiper shaft seals, and everything else you need to get at while the dash is apart to put a new dash pad on. Then you wont have to mess with it again.

Matt

A cap for the 67 with the identifying line on top was available a few years back. I haven't searched for it recently.

-
Back