David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, it's very easy to differentiate here, who are real guys who have done real ****, and those who only have read about others' accomplishments. I'm going to leave it at that and go back to the other threads. This **** is nonsense.
If everyone stuck to the tried and true there be no progress at all, 360 were once considered boat anchors too until some didn't listen and started building them anyways same 400 fords who would think a 400" cleveland couldn't make power everyone basically did until engine master competition, or a 318 could make 400 hp until Steve Dulcich, if people started slapping on trick flows onto 318 who know what the next acceptable power limit is.
You can follow or initiative.

I pm'ed him and his response for head development was actually not that much. I won't disclose what the cost was but nowhere near some of the numbers thrown around in previous threads.
Dave? I talk with him all the time. He hasn't been on FABO since November. That was a pretty serious effort, and maybe not big bucks by some peoples standards, I don't see many people providing several heads to two shops to see what is possible. That was my point. Possible in this case was what could work best for the engine build that would meet the rules and type of racing it was and is used in.

Dave? I talk with him all the time. He hasn't been on FABO since November. That was a pretty serious effort, and maybe not big bucks by some peoples standards, I don't see many people providing several heads to two shops to see what is possible. That was my point. Possible in this case was what could work best for the engine build that would meet the rules and type of racing it was and is used in.
No Charles Servedio, the guy porting the 302 heads. Who's Dave?

That's funny as I remember you saying this about your 318 headed 360:

Its amazing what a junk head with stock small valves on a low comp 360 can do hey..........
How many times you going to quote me?, I'm starting to feel like a 318 head celebrity man!. When I built that engine I had the ability to port heads, I had access to a flow bench, I had the freshly machined parts sitting there at less than half the cost since it was bought second hand with very low miles. AND this is the big one, there were no good low buck heads period. Pro comps were junk and not all that cheap considering and edlebrocks, well edlebrocks always been proud of their heads. With todays cost of machine work, parts and time/labor to port heads it makes no sense to me to do it again. Especially when there is a ceiling on performance that cannot be overcome with a 318 style head. I see their build as an experiment plain and simple, interesting?, yes, practical?, no.

How many times you going to quote me?, I'm starting to feel like a 318 head celebrity man!. When I built that engine I had the ability to port heads, I had access to a flow bench, I had the freshly machined parts sitting there at less than half the cost since it was bought second hand with very low miles. AND this is the big one, there were no good low buck heads period. Pro comps were junk and not all that cheap considering and edlebrocks, well edlebrocks always been proud of their heads. With todays cost of machine work, parts and time/labor to port heads it makes no sense to me to do it again. Especially when there is a ceiling on performance that cannot be overcome with a 318 style head. I see their build as an experiment plain and simple, interesting?, yes, practical?, no.
Its amazing what most would consider too small a head can do with a small cam and low comp isn't it. Amazing how such a small valve will still push a 360 to over 6k rpm.

Here's a dyno of a 473hp @ 7900 EQ headed 273 , funny how all the people in the so called know kept saying can't be done etc... I get the argument there's betterways etc.. But can't, and even if they agree it can it's got to be some ultra trick 15:1 tunnel ram high dollar nascar level deal.

23ac31a5-f72a-4080-a9d2-7715b692f5f3-jpeg-jpg.jpg

2b4ce9fb-acb3-4e01-b0f1-4fa9f5ab6106-jpeg-jpg.jpg

Or a 477 hp @ 6500 EQ headed 318

Iron-Headed Mopar 318 Magnum Engine- Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Would it be wiser to build a 360/408 over these probably but to me a 340/361/383/400/413/426/440 stock stroke or stroker would be better performance wise over 360, starting anything less than a 400/440 block is a compromised build leaving power on the table given up street ability I find it funny that the engine with the 3rd smallest bore that from 3.625-4.34" that 4" is where it's at and the line can't be crossed to 3.91" not even with a 30-60 overbore 3.94-3.97" even bored to the magic 4" isn't acceptable cause it's a 318.
When it comes to making power 325 plus hp I can see questioning the 273 bore and see the rational to start with a 360 at least but the whole 318 block can't be built to a similar level as a 360 block I got to question your reasoning and abilities makes little sense.

I will also say
Here's a dyno of a 473hp @ 7900 EQ headed 273 , funny how all the people in the so called know kept saying can't be done etc... I get the argument there's betterways etc.. But can't, and even if they agree it can it's got to be some ultra trick 15:1 tunnel ram high dollar nascar level deal.

View attachment 1716034594

View attachment 1716034595

Or a 477 hp @ 6500 EQ headed 318

Iron-Headed Mopar 318 Magnum Engine- Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Would it be wiser to build a 360/408 over these probably but to me a 340/361/383/400/413/426/440 stock stroke or stroker would be better performance wise over 360, starting anything less than a 400/440 block is a compromised build leaving power on the table given up street ability I find it funny that the engine with the 3rd smallest bore that from 3.625-4.34" that 4" is where it's at and the line can't be crossed to 3.91" not even with a 30-60 overbore 3.94-3.97" even bored to the magic 4" isn't acceptable cause it's a 318.
When it comes to making power 325 plus hp I can see questioning the 273 bore and see the rational to start with a 360 at least but the whole 318 block can't be built to a similar level as a 360 block I got to question your reasoning and abilities makes little sense.
That's a far cry from any ported 318 head, not even close. Nobody's saying it cannot be done, they are simply saying there are far EASIER and CHEAPER way's to do it period-even with a 318. This thread (along with the many others posted by a certain few) has and always will be nothing more than a circle jerk.

I will also say

That's a far cry from any ported 318 head, not even close. Nobody's saying it cannot be done, they are simply saying there are far EASIER and CHEAPER way's to do it period-even with a 318. This thread (along with the many others posted by a certain few) has and always will be nothing more than a circle jerk.
And the other side is saying we understand your points but want to do /6 273/318 etc.. Anyways.

It would be like me endlessly criticising anyone build less than a 440 since that's largest readily available displacement, on every thread that mentions building anything less. Maybe we should start with any 360/408 talk.

And the other side is saying we understand your points but want to do /6 273/318 etc.. Anyways.

It would be like me endlessly criticising anyone build less than a 440 since that's largest readily available displacement, on every thread that mentions building anything less. Maybe we should start with any 360/408 talk.
I think your reading comprehension is toast!. You and a few others are upside down and burning in the ditch and don't even realize there are people trying to put the fire out so carry on small cube, small head (small minded) people be proud of all you do with less! (except for money, time, hp etc. etc.) They should make a new budweiser commercial for you guys "real men of genius" this ones for you mr. has too have small everything motor buildaaa!!!!

I think your reading comprehension is toast!. You and a few others are upside down and burning in the ditch and don't even realize there are people trying to put the fire out so carry on small cube, small head (small minded) people be proud of all you do with less! (except for money, time, hp etc. etc.) They should make a new budweiser commercial for you guys "real men of genius" this ones for you mr. has too have small everything motor buildaaa!!!!
I'm for whatever you want to build 2.2 /6 273/318 etc.. As long you understand the compromises, personally I think everyone would be better off starting with a 400/440 probably 470 as largest ideal combination, and if you must go small block then 360, I'm just not arrogant enough to force my ideas of what one should build and if they want a 318 then help or move on, why is this thread littered with people that supposedly have zero interest in this build leave people who do have a space to talk about no one can have a real discussion about this build cause of the people supposedly looking out in our best interest making sure we don't get hoodwink by DV and camp lol.

Last edited:
Here is a nice touch to 302 heads like Rigger3006 did on his 318 back in 2018.

Adding the 1.60 exhaust valves to it to compliment the larger factory 302 head exhaust ports.

20230114_065444.jpg

With professional porting he was able to turn it to 7000 rpm, with the stock 1.78 intake valves.

Screenshot_20230114-064610_Gallery.jpg

Pictured below stock 302 heads with proper gasket matching on the head intake ports to match up to the intake manifold of choice.

Screenshot_20230113-194232_Gallery.jpg

Room here to drop in the 1.60s to the exhaust side.

20230113_195226.jpg

Nice looking heads.

Nice touch dropping in the 1.60 exhaust valves on your 302 headed 318.

@rigger3006

☆☆☆☆☆

The three stooges get all defensive because they think the rest of us don't like small displacement builds. What they refuse to acknowledge is that

1. Basically everyone here actually does like any kind of Mopar engine build
2. What we're against is these well known guys putting forth an engine combination which is basically stupid AF. It has nothing to do with "being a hater" "telling people what to do" etc.
3. They keep pretending that it's something the average dude can accomplish. The methods these professionals will deploy are not "using what you already have" That's bullshit.

Here is a nice touch to 302 heads like Rigger3006 did on his 318 back in 2018.

Adding the 1.60 exhaust valves to it to compliment the larger factory 302 head exhaust ports.

View attachment 1716034686

With professional porting he was able to turn it to 7000 rpm, with the stock 1.78 intake valves.

View attachment 1716034690

Pictured below stock 302 heads with proper gasket matching on the head intake ports to match up to the intake manifold of choice.

View attachment 1716034683

Room here to drop in the 1.60s to the exhaust side.

View attachment 1716034685

Nice looking heads.

Nice touch dropping in the 1.60 exhaust valves on your 302 headed 318.

@rigger3006

☆☆☆☆☆
Looks good but I can see where shrouding would be an issue. Knowing that, a open chambered head with the proper compression height piston may work better. Just my observance.

I'm for whatever you want to build 2.2 /6 273/318 etc.. As long you understand the compromises, personally I think everyone would be better off starting with a 400/440 probably 470 as largest ideal combination, and if you must go small block then 360, I'm just not arrogant enough to force my ideas of what one should build and if they want a 318 then help or move on, why is this thread littered with people that supposedly have zero interest in this build leave people who do have a space to talk about no one can have a real discussion about this build cause of the people supposedly looking out in our best interest making sure we don't get hoodwink by DV and camp lol.
You've built these engines?

You've built these engines?
One day I hope to replace my 380hp create 5.9l with a Trick Flow headed 470 :)
Would like to find a running 383/400 to swap in first so I don't end up with a Trick Flow headed 5.9l.

Last edited:
Just add a nice bead of clay around the hole on the manifold you’re testing.
It’ll either pick up flow or it won’t.

Looks like it was worth about 14cfm

Here’s some more unsolicited commentary.....

When he was doing the development work on the head, he just used a clay radius entry, and followed the flow......without any regard for what/ how the manifold would impact the flow.
Just get the head as good as you can.

Now that he’s moved on to reworking the manifold, he’s obsessing about trying to “simulate” what’s going to happen with the carb attached.

My approach would be to do it the same way the head was done.
Use the clay radius entry, port the manifold to be as good as you can........and then “it is what it is” with the actual carb installed.
Just like the head is what it is with the manifold attached.

If I got to the point where the manifold was basically done, but the carb wasn’t ready, and I wanted to get an idea of how the carb would impact the flow........
I’d procure a stock 318 carb, knock the boosters out of it, clean up the venturi, thin out the shaft a bit, and make a nice radius entry for it out of a piece of wood.

I’d also come up with a way to get a decent, reapeatable, flow number on the carb itself.

Last edited:
The three stooges get all defensive because they think the rest of us don't like small displacement builds. What they refuse to acknowledge is that

2. What we're against is these well known guys putting forth an engine combination which is basically stupid AF. It has nothing to do with "being a hater" "telling people what to do" etc.
3. They keep pretending that it's something the average dude can accomplish. The methods these professionals will deploy are not "using what you already have" That's bullshit.
Do you go to movies you know you don't like and tell the audience over and over all movie long how stupid it is, that basically what you guy's are doing here.

How about you just refute my points one by one instead of trying to discredit me with some weak analogy. Prediction: you won't, because you can't.

Kewl, but doesn't "any" include stupid waste of time builds too ?
That's your opinion
I don't think was ever pushed as the reasoning for this, just some guy's seeing what they can get out of pile of junk parts. Just playing around.

I don't think this the greatest idea ever or care if anything goods out of it, is what it is and if it's not entertaining and or no new knowledge oh well no biggie and if something good comes out of it cool.

Personally I'd rather them do a cam shootout mild to wild ish in a stock long blocks one LA 318 and one magnum 5.2l with airgap headers, then zero deck both and go again then again with the 3 aftermarket aluminum heads but they didn't ask me :(

The real arguement in the thread isn't between small or large displacement.
We all like to use what we have.
What we have differs from one another, I have multiple ported sets of ported LA's, joe blow might have w2 or rhs, indy or eddy trickflow etc...
Now does that represent the low buck regular guy? Stereotypically...not really.
Does it represent the crowd I know, yes.
So onto stereotypes, yt and the clickbait of this... the "parts laying around" line...now this is David vizard ..so laying around could have been much better parts. How is there a w9 motor next them...and then out comes some obscure mostly cracked 302 casting smog heads? Mostly when regular guys have these laying around..its because they pulled and replaced them and never got to throwing them away. ..but the angle is "regular guy" "low buck"... now how do you really do that with an race engine author of the last 50+ yrs?..you dont... So in come the titanium retainers laying around, the 302 heads with over a month of r&d , valve changes, week long rod lightening & balancing etc.
So the thing about it being silly to boast or champion this is a multitude of things..
1. Big names yet lacking so much basic architecture/parts knowledge.
2. Its not low buck regular guy and falls into the home machine shop territory.
3. The head direction and lack of knowing anything about it...again, very entertaining I'm sure to those who do not know how or have access to the equipment. As for the rest of us... it was mostly a wtf??!! Cutting down a 2" to 1.90 when a 1.89 exists...good grief...
In case anyone had any regular guy aspiration of it..let me reassure you it isnt. Any hint of regular guy low buck ended at the connecting rod work and changing from the 1.78 to the cut down [email protected]..It ended after 40 days of flowbenching it.

My videos, my numbers shown. All are 6 cfm light. I need to calibrate it, may send the flowcom back for that. I check with a rated oriface plate. That's how I know.
215cfm w/1.78 is really 221cfm for instance. It's been light for years. Take any head I've done and retest it, itll do more than my sheet lists every time. I'm not the best and not saying I am, just know it wont ever flow less than I say.
So the 1.88 port in my video, 4 angle max area 45 seat at .045.. bowl, ssr, gasket match...barely scrubbed the pinch....I bought a 1.89 LS intake valve the other day and dropped it right on that existing seat ... 238cfm... yawn.
Y'all better start a thread on that LS valve instead. Stock low buck, theres a limit. Stock valves were not intended as performance peices, especially tulips.
The magic could have been a set of SI 1.78 and been in the 230... maybe.
All that "small" and "tiny" talk..when they end up over 150cc and with a larger 1.9 valve. I call that overkill, overshooting to make the mark and not very scienced.
Yet its "praise Charlie "
"Wow that tiny hole is amazing "

Something you wouldn't want to hear from outside the door, that'for sure!

What really happened in this 40 something pages...was 3 guys from youtube started a build and it spiraled off into a couple other guys boasting and reveling in their fondness for a particular casting on a forum to the point of complete confusion that a port can still being considered tiny after being hogged 'too big imo' to 149+cc -SAME SIZE AS A MAGNUM . That's near 30cc's removed for those who arent familiar with the head. This tired winded rerun has been played out time and time again..NEVER do the author or his sidekick prove or show anything they claim to have done.
We all know a couple things..
Mopar heads have strong intake ports with much potential, probably about the best of all 3, they're valves just sucked and were titanic is all.

No magic here, no porting gods... Its a skinny 8mm LS valve vs a semi tulip titanic bowl volume eating pos.

fin

Last edited:
That's about the reply I continue to expect.

1. It does include weird stuff.
2. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. It's not a good combination.
3. Yes, it was, and continues to be. The whole mantra of the thing is basically, "we're gonna show the audience that, with this set of parts and these speed secrets, you can replicate this effort for little to no money!"

If you go to the DV video on connecting rod prep, it's right there. Race rods for $O

And then in this video I see DV clamping a big end in a ratty vise with the metal jaws showing through some duct tape. If I saw someone doing that I'd not trust them sorry.

My main issue is, these guys are showing inexperienced people the wrong path to success. That, is basically complete Total misinformation, and it's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back