David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think you can “grab a grinder” and match what a “decent” head Porter can do? Sorry but that’s just cRaZy talk.
What I actually is the opposite of that (emphasis added):

"As for porting 302 heads (or any heads), I have no illusions that I can pick up a grinder and match what any decent head porter can do."

One things I have NEVER claimed to be is an engine builder/blue printer guy. But the last real Mopar swap I went to was back home in SW Missouri 6-7 year ago. There was a guy with his enlosed car trailer selling oem small block Mopar heads, all cast numbers, he must have had 3 dozen pairs.......$15/ pair!!!!!!! Must be a reason!!
$15 a pair was way more than what he'd get for them for scrap weight price...:)

One things I have NEVER claimed to be is an engine builder/blue printer guy. But the last real Mopar swap I went to was back home in SW Missouri 6-7 year ago. There was a guy with his enlosed car trailer selling oem small block Mopar heads, all cast numbers, he must have had 3 dozen pairs.......$15/ pair!!!!!!! Must be a reason!!

Unless they have the X on them, hard to sell them. I have/had a couple dozen J heads and NEVER sold a single pair. Couldn't get even $100 as complete cores with stock rockers. A bunch went to the scrapper.

If you don't care about original parts, there are so many good options out there that at some time during the year, can be had for almost the same price as a complete rebuild of OEM iron.

I paid pretty good money for J s with 2.02s not too long ago. I think someone had the 2.02s installed. not sure if they came with them factory other than the TA heads which these are not.

Here is more on the 302 Heads from this site back in 2015.
(and continued in the next posts)

Screenshot_20221221-114736_Firefox.jpg

Next from 2018:

Screenshot_20221221-120314_Firefox.jpg

1020161100.jpg

Heart Shaped, Closed Chamber, Swirl Port, 318 Heads.

With the larger push rod openings for better clearance for the push rod geometry.

Got to love that.

1020161036.jpg

Last edited:
Other than a slight gain in cr there's no power advantage over 273/318 open chamber heads with 302 heads and definitely not over 340/360 & magnum heads. All can be ported and all can be built with quench.

If you want to run them that's fine but stop trying to convince the average 318 guy that there the hot ticket for his setup especially unported.

What I actually is the opposite of that (emphasis added):

"As for porting 302 heads (or any heads), I have no illusions that I can pick up a grinder and match what any decent head porter can do."

That’s why I went back and said my post wasn’t directed at you in particular or anyone in general.

I was making blanket statements. It was just that your post was the one that went down the rabbit hole I was expecting.

That’s some guys defending a piss poor head choice. I’ll say it again. If you start with a bad head, you end up with a bad head.

It seems pretty simple but the 302 leg humpers just don’t get it.
I think it comes down to people's fear or losing velocity, it's beat into peoples heads a 318 is super sensitive to it, plus slight help with cr and easy quench possibility makes a winner in some people's eyes.

It sounds like UT wants to use stock parts. I didn't see where the block is a roller Teen that the heads came off of.

It sounds like UT wants to use stock parts. I didn't see where the block is a roller Teen that the heads came off of.
So far it doesn't seem like Tony has much to do with other than supply the engine, think was a 70's. Seem DV has taken the lead, I think this is all for DV to get some of Tony's viewer's. Don't think these are the heads their using there just practicing with the 302 from what I understand.

If my old Mopar seems to run good by my seat of my pants test with whatever parts it has...then I'm GOOD! That saves me ton of money and bench racing conversation! But.. I am old, cranky and don't care! :poke:

Can anyone else honestly say that they don’t know or care who the heck this Tony guy is?
Tony Baloney?...never heard of em...:)

I see the 302s have a closed chamber so that's a quick bolt on way to raise compression by how much I don't know... again its 318 guys being cheap. What is needed IMO is an overbore with positive deck height pistons and the 340/360 head to make a LA 318 a performer

UNREAL. Charlie Servedio just dropped a new video and in it he says they are probably going to angle mill the heads.

What a F’ing waste of money and time. This thing gets more ridiculous every day.

I have a question. I bought a 318 complete motor from a friend who needed money. It came out of a '69 Charger. I haven't done anything to it, or even looked at it, sits in the back of the shop on an engine stand along with 4 other motors from different automakers. Where would I find any information about the motor, the heads, etc.? Thanks in advance. By the way I enjoy reading the back and forth between two people who under different circumstances could have been great car buddies with each other.

318 Rear View.jpg

318 Front View.jpg

I have a question. I bought a 318 complete motor from a friend who needed money. It came out of a '69 Charger. I haven't done anything to it, or even looked at it, sits in the back of the shop on an engine stand along with 4 other motors from different automakers. Where would I find any information about the motor, the heads, etc.? Thanks in advance. By the way I enjoy reading the back and forth between two people who under different circumstances could have been great car buddies with each other.

View attachment 1716024810

View attachment 1716024811
Here's some info on some of the factory cylinder heads:

Small Block Cylinder Heads 'Stock Specs'

View attachment 1716024810

View attachment 1716024811
There is embossing on the side of the block and a machined pad on the deck surface just below the drivers side cylinder head in the front.

There's a guy at the track with a 318 with that runs mid 12's with a low 60ft @ around 3400 pounds. Its a street car with a small 218 @ 50 Hydraulic cam.

Uses 3.23 gears a stock converter and 225 street tire's. Oh and he uses ported 318 heads with stock size valves..........I guess smart people just "USE" the airflow they get where as others need more flow because they USE less of it.......That should mess up a few peoples brains for a while if not eternity.

He doesn't need big heads a big cam and a big stall converter to get the car down the track...........ITS A STREET CAR and yet it runs mid 12's with 318 cubes.

I'll let you clowns figure out the "USE" or Utilization aspect. If you think an engine is an air pump then keep putting bigger heads on it eventually you'll USE some of it to go faster.

The sharpest guys in the game focus on what the fuel is doing not what the airflow is doing. Those guys don't post here for some reason.......

Oh and while I'm at it Modern Street fuels DONT VAPORIZE like the fuels did in the 70's so they need more energy imputation to get them to the state so they can be combusted. BIG Ports and Big valves and Big carbs work against that fact. That may be too much for some here to get their heads around.......

And before you agree with this post realize it contradicts what most here are arguing for.

Last edited:
There's a guy at the track with a 318 with that runs mid 12's with a low 60ft @ around 3400 pounds. Its a street car with a small 218 @ 50 Hydraulic cam.

Uses 3.23 gears a stock converter and 225 street tire's. Oh and he uses ported 318 heads with stock size valves..........I guess smart people just "USE" the airflow they get where as others need more flow because they USE less of it.......That should mess up a few peoples brains for a while if not eternity.

He doesn't need big heads a big cam and a big stall converter to get the car down the track...........ITS A STREET CAR and yet it runs mid 12's with 318 cubes.

I'll let you clowns figure out the "USE" or Utilization aspect. If you think an engine is an air pump then keep putting bigger heads on it eventually you'll USE some of it to go faster.

The sharpest guys in the game focus on what the fuel is doing not what the airflow is doing. Those guys don't post here for some reason.......

Oh and while I'm at it Modern Street fuels DONT VAPORIZE like the fuels did in the 70's so they need more energy imputation to get them to the state so they can be combusted. BIG Ports and Big valves and Big carbs work against that fact. That may be too much for some here to get their heads around.......

And before you agree with this post realize it contradicts what most here are arguing for.
That proves nothing unless also ran the same combo with ported 360 heads. No one said 318 can’t perform just not as well.

So is your point is that ported 360 heads would be slower?

That proves nothing unless also ran the same combo with ported 360 heads. No one said 318 can’t perform just not as well.

So is your point is that ported 360 heads would be slower?
It proves that Vizard doesn't need a 360 head to make the power he wants and that others don't either.......

The 318 head is more than enough. Would a W2 W5 W8 W9 W9RP make more power.........Same dumb arse logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back