Demon Revival 4/10

-

RyanAero

Reaction score
A thread to document the revival of a 1972 Demon. 340 auto car with ac. Converted to 4spd by past owner. Car is basically unrestored with some crappy mechanical work done over the years. The goal is to make it a fun driver to enjoy as a "rat" Mopar. Limited money is available right now so a lot of rebuilding and repairing is to be done. No funds for new and shiny. I don't believe the car has run in 20 years.
Enjoy
Ryan

IMG_1833.JPG

Last edited:
In the "shop"! Let the games begin. There is so much wrong, i.e. Terrible work with the 4spd conversion and other bad systems I think I'm gonna remove all the bad to start with a fresher canvas.

IMG_1879.JPG

Engine hasn't run in a few years. Holley carb was shot, so I installed a less shot loaner edelbrock. fuel tank nasty and removed. Flushed fuel line and installed new filter. Oil and filter changed. Pulled plugs and Dist. Oiled up cyls. Made a preoil rod out of some shop scraps and preoiled the old girl.

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

Great project Ryan! Is the color FE5 Red and is it original to that car? Keep us posted with pictures and updates!

Great project Ryan! Is the color FE5 Red and is it original to that car? Keep us posted with pictures and updates!
Yup, original fe5 black top black interior. Nice combo. Will prob post more than you wanna see lol

I can't wait to see more progress on this one!
This is certainly my style, get it on the road and drive it, to hell with the cosmetics!
One thing i would advise you to do is to buy a new gas tank and pickup.
That will save you a lot of headaches in the future, and it is probably cheaper than refurbishing an old one...........

I can't wait to see more progress on this one!
This is certainly my style, get it on the road and drive it, to hell with the cosmetics!
One thing i would advise you to do is to buy a new gas tank and pickup.
That will save you a lot of headaches in the future, and it is probably cheaper than refurbishing an old one...........
Yeah... have the old one out now. Deaf a new sender and pickup. Gotta dump the tank and see if it's salvageable.

Hey did you buy that car out of Arizona? If it is I think I remember when the guy was selling it on one of the online sites like Cars on line or Ebay. Get it road worthy and drive the wheels off of it. Again great color combo and project. You can never post too many pictures and updates!

Well I got it running.... poorly. Eventually I ended up with a dead cyl as I was trying to time it. Pulled the rocker covers to inspect and found an intake pushrod broken and jamming the valve open. Then I started to look at the rockers and they are all installed wrong. In turn all of the pushrods were rubbing the head, they had zero clearance in their bore. Dont know how the previous owner could mess this up, there all marked right and left LOL! Even a newbie like me figured that out pretty quick. I guess the timing is getting put on hold for some valvetrain repairs. It seems like everything the old owner touched turned to crap. He has the anti Midas touch!
IMG_1910.JPG

Ouch! This might be one of of those " the more you dig into it, the more you find". I can see a complete tear down of this motor..... hope I'm wrong!

Ouch! This might be one of of those " the more you dig into it, the more you find". I can see a complete tear down of this motor..... hope I'm wrong!
Me too.... that's way out of the budget right now. I did not hear any knocks in the engine just a severe lack of power and a mild shake gonna do a compression check this week, once I get one. Hoping I could get some new pushrods installed and be back to where I thought I was.

New pushrods are here and installed. Cleaned and reassembled valve train according to the manual. Pre oiled and fired the engine up. It ran great! Set timing and idle mixture. A great evening

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG

Great stuff, lovin' the pics......keep 'em comin'!!

I see you have the booster apart....consider turfing it and running manual brakes. Just a thought.

Great stuff, lovin' the pics......keep 'em comin'!!

I see you have the booster apart....consider turfing it and running manual brakes. Just a thought.

Thanks I'm gonna hone the master and install a rebuild kit. Booster looks good still. Gonna give it a shoot

Somehow I missed this thread. This looks like a fun project and you are just working through getting it running. I hear you about the budget. Mine started to get out of hand in January and I just walked away from it until I built the money pit fund back up to finish up my work on it....

Definitely make sure it stops, steers, and is somewhat reliable. As for the rest of it, just chip away at it and make it roadworthy so you can enjoy it.... Awesome color combo and hopefully you can make the A/C work without a huge amount of work....

JW

Somehow I missed this thread. This looks like a fun project and you are just working through getting it running. I hear you about the budget. Mine started to get out of hand in January and I just walked away from it until I built the money pit fund back up to finish up my work on it....

Definitely make sure it stops, steers, and is somewhat reliable. As for the rest of it, just chip away at it and make it roadworthy so you can enjoy it.... Awesome color combo and hopefully you can make the A/C work without a huge amount of work....

JW
Yeah that's for sure. Safe and reliable first. Cosmetics low on the list

Did some brake work. Cleaned, honed, and rebuilt master cylinder with a nice Raybestos kit. Had to clean out fluid that leaked into the booster. Reassembled, just need to bleed it.

IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

Worm shaft seal leaking crazy!! Figured I'd give a shot at a repair. Found out the correct seal number and got one. Pulled apart and cleaned it up. Replaced seal. Measured outer o ring to be a -238 size. Installed a new one. Put the parts back together in reverse order. Oiled the pump up and started the engine. Wa lah... no leak and the power steering still works!

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

-
Back