Desk Top Dyno

-
From the sounds of it, TVT now has a version of DD to play with.
So, here’s the two sets of flow numbers to compare:

Lift——A/B
.100— 67/74
.200—127/134
.300—183/197
.400—243/252
.500—295/294
.600—350/296

See how the program deals with area under the curve vs the big number @.600 lift.

Ok does I fall off at .550 or .600? What cam are they running minus lash and deflection???

So using the the current comp 314R-10 and the head flow in post #100 I came up with 733hp. Just to add I use desktop dyno (the basic comp cams version) quite a bit for fun to predict what power it will make on the dyno and so far if I am conservative with the inputs the hp/tq peaks are pretty close. Now the below peak torque numbers and the rpm at peak are always off by a moderate amount.

“In theory”, the numbers should be able to be compared to each other…….between dyno to dyno, or flow bench to flow bench.
The reality is…….they can’t be(or…..shouldn’t be).
Sometimes they’re close……..and sometimes they’re waaaay off.
I’ve owned a flow bench since 1992……..and I see both situations quite often.
I’ve been dyno testing since 1990……..same scenario.
For sure you are much more experienced with flow bench and dynos than I am pretty much the only thing I use the Dyno for is tuning, to check for leaks, to break the engine in and to help my converter guy get the converter right on the first try. I'm sure that I've forgotten a few things.

My guess is, DD would like these numbers better than the others…….

049FB709-749A-49F5-A46B-F0BFC15DAE77.png

Look how nice those early numbers are with that 45 degree seat.
I knew you would like that lol. He does have a flowbench and a dyno so there must be a reason he is using the 50 degree stuff now. It could be in limited applications but I don't know his reasoning, I hope to test this and many other things on the dyno. The first test coming up is trickflow vs speedmaster/edelbrocks ootb and hopefully a set of bloomer heads. I would love to have a set of your ported speed masters to throw in and the finale would be the w5 top end I have. This would all be in the name of knowledge not a competition.

Last edited:
I knew you would like that lol. He does have a flowbench and a dyno so there must be a reason he is using the 50 degree stuff now. It could be in limited applications but I don't know his reasoning, some day I hope to test this and many other things on the dyno. The first one will be trickflow vs speedmaster/edelbrocks ootb and hopefully a set of bloomer heads. I would love to have a set of your ported speed masters to throw in and the finale would be the w5 top end I have. This would be all in the name of knowledge not a competition.
I'm guessing that he found something on the dyno as far as the 50 deg cut. On the Bloomer heads. I really don't know what they flow. But I know that they make great power. I have friends who have ported W2's that don't make anymore power than my Bloomer headed engine.

The first test coming up is trickflow vs speedmaster/edelbrocks ootb and hopefully a set of bloomer heads.

Will that be in the near future…….or is it a someday kinda thing?
What kind of test mule are we looking at for that?

I knew you would like that lol. He does have a flowbench and a dyno so there must be a reason he is using the 50 degree stuff now. It could be in limited applications but I don't know his reasoning, I hope to test this and many other things on the dyno. The first test coming up is trickflow vs speedmaster/edelbrocks ootb and hopefully a set of bloomer heads. I would love to have a set of your ported speed masters to throw in and the finale would be the w5 top end I have. This would all be in the name of knowledge not a competition.

Similar hope on that road to travel.

And if I ported W8 and W9 stuff going on 35,000 plus dollar engines I would be forced to experiment with those cutters too. But I’m porting junk heads in the racing world that a lot of head porters not necessarily avoid but they don’t search out this work like I do. If I buy two cutters and X amount of valves to experiment with a just spent my racing funds I worked all winter for.

Disagree. 295 to 350 = 55 cfm gain in a .050 additional lift.
I may be wrong here but I think it’s screamin!
“Falls off” to me is a cfm loss.
B falls off at .600 is what I meant. Isn't that what the chart says? A gains 55, B gains 2

1707593219438.png

He's probably working with 14-15 deg stuff or 18 degree that doesn't have a blown out chamber.

He never really says what he’s working on or shares much info. Top secret I’m guessing. NASA
Type of stuff. I have never even seen one single ET slip from his car or even a customer.

Will that be in the near future…….or is it a someday kinda thing?
What kind of test mule are we looking at for that?
In the next 90 days is the plan. The engine will be a typical 408 with a moderate solid flat tappet cam, 10.5 compression and several intakes as well including a victor, trickflow, rpm, and an m1.

B falls off at .600 is what I meant. Isn't that what the chart says? A gains 55, B gains 2

I think most people will equate “falling off” as meaning the numbers going down.

And if I ported W8 and W9 stuff going on 35,000 plus dollar engines I would be forced to experiment with those cutters too. But I’m porting junk heads in the racing world that a lot of head porters not necessarily avoid but they don’t search out this work like I do. If I buy two cutters and X amount of valves to experiment with a just spent my racing funds I worked all winter for.
I get it, I am actually pretty conservative and like to do more with less myself as my budget has made it necessary. I guess that is why I am so eager to test things that otherwise would not be tested, who is going to spend the money to buy parts and pay for dyno time all in the name of curiosity?, certainly not me. I have the great fortune of having a dyno and lots of mopar connections to make this a reality and to share with others while also helping to ease my "need to know" mental condition.

I think most people will equate “falling off” as meaning the numbers going down.
I should used "starting to stall". By the looks of it it was dangerously close to "falling off." Only a gain of 2 in the last .100. You knew what I meant.

I get it, I am actually pretty conservative and like to do more with less myself as my budget has made it necessary. I guess that is why I am so eager to test things that otherwise would not be tested, who is going to spend the money to buy parts and pay for dyno time all in the name of curiosity?, certainly not me. I have the great fortune of having a dyno and lots of mopar connections to make this a reality and to share with others while also helping to ease my "need to know" mental condition.
Should be fun:thumbsup:

The cutters are 60 bucks. Even if you bought 4 Farrea valves you’d still be under 250 bucks. If that’s your race budget for the year you run on a shoe string.

And the valve job doesn’t know what head it’s going on. It’s amazing that you think they work on W8/9 heads but you’ve never tested anything. So you are trying to convince everyone it’s some secret squirrel ****, but it’s not.

Well on the topic of simulator programs, does anyone have pipemax they can run my combo through? I’d love to see recommended intake lengths etc but pipemax is not available for a Mac.

View attachment 1716205294
Ahhhhhh! I see I see. My bad Mike, my bad.
However, I don’t see numbers going down on chart B/right side.
Normally I’m acquainted with “Falling off” as the numbers fall and that would be more on the significant side, not just 2/3/4 numbers but really showing a down turn. I can see where you’re coming from. Losing a few numbers isn’t a bad thing, loosing a bunch would be.

Eye of the beholder I guess.
Agreed. Like I said above, 1/2/3…. That’s one thing.

The cutters are 60 bucks. Even if you bought 4 Farrea valves you’d still be under 250 bucks. If that’s your race budget for the year you run on a shoe string.

And the valve job doesn’t know what head it’s going on. It’s amazing that you think they work on W8/9 heads but you’ve never tested anything. So you are trying to convince everyone it’s some secret squirrel ****, but it’s not.

Still patiently waiting to see you post an ET slip. All of these 8-9-10 second engine builds posted and I haven’t seen one from the “Scientist” yet. It’s like a Unicorn.

I'm no head porter and know little about porting and flow but I have a question. Let's say you have a camshaft with .640 lift. WHY do flow numbers at say .300 even matter? Help me understand.

I'm no head porter and know little about porting and flow but I have a question. Let's say you have a camshaft with .640 lift. WHY do flow numbers at say .300 even matter? Help me understand.

If you have a .640 lift cam first of all you have to subtract lash and deflection so let’s say you have a .615 lift cam. How many times does a cam hit .615 each cycle. How many times does it hit .300, .400, .500 each cycle.

-
Back