Did the Assembly Plants Lubricate Starter/Flywheel Teeth?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Going to re-install the starter soon and I got to thinking, would grease just fly off the teeth if it was lubricated, making the effort a waste of time and just making a mess of things?

grease flywheel teeth.jpeg

No, not necessary. Unless you want to attract dirt and dust. 65'

No they didn't and no you shouldn't. Think of the mess 3000 rpm of centrical force would do.

Fill the gap in between each ring gear tooth with heavy axle grease. Pack it good and full.

What about what gets transferd to the ring gear on the torque converter/flywheel
Exactly. You understand. There has never been lubrication on the starter gear or the flywheel. (Nor should there be) That was my point above. What grease gets transferred to the flywheel teeth will get thrown off by centrifugal force at engine rpm. What a mess!

Its self lubricating by the factory valve cover oil leaks...It all ends up in there anyway. Not a great chance grease will survive 5500 RPM at 288 feet per second at the ring gear.

Dont get ur point , starter doesn`t run long enough , period !

The point is.......if you grease up the starter teeth: and I have never seen grease on starter teeth, every one I have worked on has been dry: there is going to be transfer of grease to the ring gear of the converter/flywheel and that spins all the time while the engine is running..........hope this helps

Frankly, I'm surprised that such starters as the old "twist Bendix" and the Ford/AMC style work as long as they do

Many years ago "in another life" a friend of mine's cousin and his "boys" were "Big Hammer and bang loggers." EVerything was done by brute force. If that didn't work, USE MORE --brute force

They had a 70's Ford 1 ton 460 used for the "gopher" truck. Oxy-acet, engine powered welder, and slip tank in the back. "It got down" into the ruts of the local logging roads.

He had bought a replacement starter, and not long after came back in a rage, " the starter quit, it left us stranded." Took it in the back and pulled the thing apart---it would not turn

IT WAS CLEAR FULL OF MUD

His answer: "So?" "So what?"

Too dumb to "get it". Probably had left the dust cover off the bell, as well, I bet

Fill the gap in between each ring gear tooth with heavy axle grease. Pack it good and full.
Such a waste
A v8 engine (really, any engine) tends to always stop at a certain point, just before top dead center of the compression stroke

Find out which teeth on the ring gear correspond with those spots and simply pack those with grease, because those are the ones bearing the grunt of the force, the rest of em are just along for the ride

Such a waste
A v8 engine (really, any engine) tends to always stop at a certain point, just before top dead center of the compression stroke

Find out which teeth on the ring gear correspond with those spots and simply pack those with grease, because those are the ones bearing the grunt of the force, the rest of em are just along for the ride
You are kidding, right?

Actually, no he is not kidding......engines do have a tendency to stop at certain points......study of the ring gear will point that out

They sure do. They stop within a few degrees ever time.

You are kidding, right?
Yes and no

I was just as serious as RRR was when he suggested packing the whole ring

However,

What I said about the engine always stopping at the same point is true

What Jburch said about the visible wear on ring gears will prove that time and again
So, if one feels the need to grease the teeth on the ring gear, it only makes sense to grease those that take the most abuse
(I'm sure you can see that running a piston down in the exhaust stroke puts less strain on the teeth then running a piston up on the compression stroke does)

Really guys? Centrifugal force will throw the grease off the teeth within 10 seconds of engine start. I am really starting to wonder about you.

Really guys? Centrifugal force will throw the grease off the teeth within 10 seconds of engine start. I am really starting to wonder about you.
Pretty sure they were joking bud. If not.....

-
Back