Diesel Trucks

-
It's about a grand to just have the def filter cleaned which is required at 100,000 miles, no thanks I'll spend that money and pull that crap off. I have also read that with def and egr off the 6.7 gain mph.
Mines a dually too with 4.10 gears getting 24-26mph open road with just suit cases in the bed and extra snacks.

My mileage isn't that great either, but we need to put it into prospective, mines a dually so knock off a couple MPG there anybody that's owned both know's that. Second the interstates around me are all 80 MPH, I get 13+ at 80 that's empty, when I get to the 65 highways I get 15-16 MPG, 55 18-19, my truck scales out right at 10,000 lbs empty, that's with some fuel in the 60 gallon slip tank and the 5th wheel hitch and big *** front bumper. The older single wheel diesels are typically 7500-8000 lbs. So considering ya the mileage is worse mostly because of the emission but I get 11 MPG pulling my 5er at 80 that's not bad at all in my book. Yes i pull it at 80.

Me as well or was. 5ver is for sale though.”80 MPH”

I could get 24 or more in the 5.9 3500 and 14-15 with the Montana hooked up with the edge box set on toe, in fact it stayed in that mode 99.9 %of the time. The old truck carried 8 more gallons of fuel as well. Best I could get on the 6.7 3500 towing with the same rig is 12. The new B&W hitch for factory prepped truck must weigh 150 pounds more, gotta use the engine hoist to put the base in by myself. It does not matter to me the 2015 is more comfortable just with the extra power and auto trans that will handle the power. I want to haul quickly and get it over to enjoy life!

Me as well or was. 5ver is for sale though.”80 MPH”

I could get 24 or more in the 5.9 3500 and 14-15 with the Montana hooked up with the edge box set on toe, in fact it stayed in that mode 99.9 %of the time. The old truck carried 8 more gallons of fuel as well. Best I could get on the 6.7 3500 towing with the same rig is 12. The new B&W hitch for factory prepped truck must weigh 150 pounds more, gotta use the engine hoist to put the base in by myself. It does not matter to me the 2015 is more comfortable just with the extra power and auto trans that will handle the power. I want to haul quickly and get it over to enjoy life!
I’ll give you that, the new trucks ride like Cadillacs. Wait until you drive the factory 1000 ft lbs truck Cummins has now.

I do not know a gas motor truck that will pull a 14k 5th wheel and if I could mount a strong enough hitch, my 24’enclosed trailer and Barracuda and for good measure 2 large Seadoos. That 2015 6.7 would though and at 70 mph!

Not sure why people rip all the def and catylitic stuff off. I see no need to as it does not really hurt the performance of these wonderful Cummins!

Try running your def truck when its -40 and you’ll see why I dont have one with def. That pig piss doesnt work well when its frozen.

Last edited:
Try runnings your def truck when its -40 and you’ll see why I dont have one. That pig piss doesnt work well when its frozen.
This I will agree. Minnesota boy here. And diesels are cowards with very cold. But gas don't do to well either at -40°. Neither do my bones. But both have better chance at that temp than my diesel. We hit -35° a couple times this year. I don't blame anything for not being happy at that?

Last edited:
This I will agree. Minnesota boy here. And diesels are cowards with very cold. But gas don't do to well either at -40°. Neither do my bones. But both have better chance at that temp than my diesel. We hit -35° a couple times this year. I don't blame anything for not being happy at that?

I agree that cold temps are hard on any engine . My mechnical diesel has been running great thru the winter using 0-40 diesel oil and number one fuel.

I wouldn’t be with out a diesel. I bought my first 1 in 1999. 1992 w250 4x4. then in 03 I bought a 01 quad cab 4x4 which I still have 437 K on it. I also have a 06 gmc Duramax hd 4 door 4x4. U can’t beat the pulling power of a diesel or the mileage. My gas trucks sucked for pulling and the mileage towing was atrocious. Kim
I still have my 92 d250 club cab. never goes fast but always goes (close to 25 mpg unloaded but down to 21 when I haul heavy), no def and the ecm only controls add-on like overdrive,cruise control charging and a/c . I could put a normal alternator and regulator combo on it and it'd run darn near with 2 wires for the shutoff valve and the starter wires. got bought it at 103k now at 357k on it and would not hesitate to drive it anywhere.

I have a 94 Dodge ram 2500 CTD, 5 speed 4x4 as my tow rig.A friend has a 2007 Ram 2500 megacab with the 5.9 and an automatic.The difference in design strategy is astounding.My 94 is just fine rolling down the road at 65 mph with a load.It has power and gearing at any speed below 65,and above 65 it just sucks down fuel.My friends 07 on the other hand seems to be optimized to do 80+ with a trailer.It sucks on low speed turny roads because the transmission/turbo,etc cant decide what the hell to do with itself.On a straight section though that megacab pulls so nice.Also it pulls like nothing is behind it, Hook anything to my 94, even an unloaded trailer and you feel that there is something back there. Would I trade my 94 for my friends 07?Not a chance on your life.My 94 tows as fast as I want to go,gets decent mpg,and I can run it on cleaned engine oil,atf,hydraulic fluid,etc..

FWIW, my '16 6.7 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 gets the same or slightly better mileage than my '07 5.9 2500 Mega Cab 4x4. The double OD 6-speed trans allows the '16 to run at lower RPM's on the interstate vs the 5.9's 4 speed trans, and that seems to be the main improvement. (Plus the shifting on the '07 4-speed is 'quirky' LOL.)

The main part of the bad fuel mileage for the early 6.7's was the tactic of raw fuel dumping into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke to burn the soot out of the DPF, that is/was as a supplement to the exhaust temps naturally burning the soot out. If lightly loaded with low exhaust temps, that happened often and the fuel mileage dropped.

With the SCR/DEF addition in '12 or '13, the need to do the extra fuel dump into the exhaust dropped way back and the 6.7 mileage shot up considerably. It will still dump extra fuel in at times, but not nearly as frequently. So you can't compare the mileage between early and late 6.7's, after the SCR/DEF system was added.

BTW, when it gets cold and the DEF freezes, the DEF tank heater helps, but when it doesn't, then the system switches back to the old mode of dumping in extra fuel to burn out the soot. I've seen this happen on my '16 6.7 in very cold temps in MT/WY, and the fuel mileage drops as expected. So I have not ever been stuck, just ready for lower mileage when the DEF won't flow.

It's about a grand to just have the def filter cleaned which is required at 100,000 miles, no thanks I'll spend that money and pull that crap off. I have also read that with def and egr off the 6.7 gain mph.
Mines a dually too with 4.10 gears getting 24-26mph open road with just suit cases in the bed and extra snacks.
I assume you meant 'dpf' filter. Is this required as a regular maintenance scheduled item? Just curious as I am at 86k miles on my '16. Tnx

I assume you meant 'dpf' filter. Is this required as a regular maintenance scheduled item? Just curious as I am at 86k miles on my '16. Tnx

Yes lol and yes not sure if it's just every 100000 miles or what interval comes after that, but to me the gains are worth more to remove it then keeping it. Theres only a few controllers that can delete for 14 and newer, bully dog has a cheaper one but not sold in the states.

I love my 2017 Diesel Powerstroke, Will tow circles around any gas powered truck. I live in San Diego so extreme cold is non issue.

20170414_132030.jpg

And I am not rich, just in Debt!

They all are comparable for performance. And I do wish I could delete all the smog crap. BUT is California no way, has to be smog checked every two years from new.

Last edited:
For me personally a diesel has never fit my needs. My truck I don't pull anything for the most part and if I do it's nothing massive. We Haul firewood sometimes and of course my sled deck for my snowmobiles is on top of my truck. Our motorhome is a Class A and I'm so glad we bought gas. A diesel would have been ten thousand more. Sure we would have got six or seven miles per gallon more, but we've been around the United States and everywhere in between and still haven't spent $10, 000 in gas and maintenance total! LOL my friend has the same truck as I do and this is a diesel but guess what he drives a $400 minivan because he can't afford the $2, 000 injectors that broke..
Also again this is just me personally I don't like the smell or the noise..

^^^^also I should add my truck is a 360 Magnum and which one of us doesn't know to work on that... If needed...

For me personally a diesel has never fit my needs. My truck I don't pull anything for the most part and if I do it's nothing massive. We Haul firewood sometimes and of course my sled deck for my snowmobiles is on top of my truck. Our motorhome is a Class A and I'm so glad we bought gas. A diesel would have been ten thousand more. Sure we would have got six or seven miles per gallon more, but we've been around the United States and everywhere in between and still haven't spent $10, 000 in gas and maintenance total! LOL my friend has the same truck as I do and this is a diesel but guess what he drives a $400 minivan because he can't afford the $2, 000 injectors that broke..
The new ones dont smell and you cant tell they are diesel by the sound. Near silent. Really. But I agree, not everyone needs a Diesel truck, gas engines are very capable. And 10 grand less to buy.

I agree j par, not everybody needs a diesel, I mean that's why they make **** like Neons and PT cruiser's because not everybody needs a Hellcat.. :lol:

Ha. my 95 cummins has no smog crap!! Wife and I made a 350 mi. run and brought back a 77 volare wagon other day. Truck has 230,000 mi and still is the same joy to drive as the day I bought it new. Ok so I admit pulling the tag along empty going there was a little rougher in that 3500.

I've had:
  • '84 Chevy 6.2L, bought in '85. As expected, the injection pump went out at a bit over 100k miles. No injection pumps to wear out now. Good torque but 135 HP rating LOL; no excavator towing up a mountain.
  • '01 Ford 7.3L. The cam sensors went out regularly 'til International fixed that. More cold start problems than either Dodge Cummins
  • '07 Dodge CTD. Common to have the injector harnesses go out at just past 100k miles
  • And now a '16 Dodge CTD. The 2016 is the best of the bunch in terms of smoothness and capability. I've changed filters and oil and had one sensor fail under warranty; that has been the sum total maintenance for 86 k miles.
I've put 86k miles on it in 2.5 years..... towing 3-5 tons for 300-600 miles for jobs, mountains to cross over on every job. No way a current gas engine can do the same with so little effort. Towing a little camper is not at all the same thing.

BTW, the new sensor cost is not in the sensor so much as in the computer bus interface components. All cars/trucks, gas or diesel have gone this way, so it makes no difference. The sensor failures are common to all engines today..... TPS and O2 sensors fail in gas engines all the time. And there are delete kits out there for the stuff you may not want...

Paid $37k for the '07 new and $52k for the '16 new.... both Mega Cabs, mid level trim. These trucks pay for themselves in a few years because they make my work trips possible. At 35-40k miles per year, the longevity of the diesel under heavy loads over long distance is making financial sense for me. Fewer truck replacements over 15+ years. If I was not using for work, I'd buy an old truck LOL

Now since you are running crews in yours, then I may have to concede it to you to use gas engined trucks. With the crew use (abuse) I am sure they get, then the cheaper Oh, and I do my own vehicle repairs.... your $4-10k for a head gasket involved a lot more than replacing the head gasket, so, sorry, I have to call that particular cost BS.. OK, lets' call it 'incompletely described'.
QUOTE]
I've had:
  • '84 Chevy 6.2L, bought in '85. As expected, the injection pump went out at a bit over 100k miles. No injection pumps to wear out now. Good torque but 135 HP rating LOL; no excavator towing up a mountain.
  • '01 Ford 7.3L. The cam sensors went out regularly 'til International fixed that. More cold start problems than either Dodge Cummins
  • '07 Dodge CTD. Common to have the injector harnesses go out at just past 100k miles
  • And now a '16 Dodge CTD. The 2016 is the best of the bunch in terms of smoothness and capability. I've changed filters and oil and had one sensor fail under warranty; that has been the sum total maintenance for 86 k miles.
I've put 86k miles on it in 2.5 years..... towing 3-5 tons for 300-600 miles for jobs, mountains to cross over on every job. No way a current gas engine can do the same with so little effort. Towing a little camper is not at all the same thing.

BTW, the new sensor cost is not in the sensor so much as in the computer bus interface components. All cars/trucks, gas or diesel have gone this way, so it makes no difference. The sensor failures are common to all engines today..... TPS and O2 sensors fail in gas engines all the time. And there are delete kits out there for the stuff you may not want...

Paid $37k for the '07 new and $52k for the '16 new.... both Mega Cabs, mid level trim. These trucks pay for themselves in a few years because they make my work trips possible. At 35-40k miles per year, the longevity of the diesel under heavy loads over long distance is making financial sense for me. Fewer truck replacements over 15+ years. If I was not using for work, I'd buy an old truck LOL

Now since you are running crews in yours, then I may have to concede it to you to use gas engined trucks. With the crew use (abuse) I am sure they get, then the cheaper initial cost and repair cost may very well make sense. I knew one guy like you who had his crews stupidly put gasoline in his diesel pickups and blew them up. I am going to bet that your work is all within a small radius area and long haul issues are not as much of a factor. Oh, and I do my own vehicle repairs.... your $4-10k for a head gasket involved a lot more than replacing the head gasket, so, sorry, I have to call that particular cost BS.. OK, lets' call it 'incompletely described'.

You're making the mistake of spreading your vehicle use experience to all situations. It just does not hold up in every case like it does to your particular situation, as the below illustrates:

If I sold my '07 CTD right now, it would fetch over $15k and so would have cost me <$25k for depreciation + all engine related maintenance (1 injector, injector harness, + mostly oil changes is ALL of the engine maintenance I have done to it) for 217k miles, so about 12 cents per mile for the truck depreciation and engine. With a gas engine, the fuel costs would have been considerably higher for my use, the initial truck price minus the sell cost today would have been a bigger loss, so it would equivalently work out to at least 15 cents per mile, assuming the same low engine maintenance costs for the gas engine, the added fuel cost margin, and the same expenses for non-engine stuff. So you can see how your cost of ownership examples does not hold for all cases.
Have you ever had to replace a head gasket on a diesel??? I don't know a shop anywhere that would touch any of them for under $4k. Many shops won't even do it for logistic reasons. Different year/brand/models require more or less. Almost all trucks will need to be stripped from the firewall forward, and some need the cab removed. Anybody who is going to go that far isn't just going to slap it back together, and guarantee their work. It always includes AT LEAST a trip to the machine shop for head resurfacing. Now you've tied up 2-3 service bays and a gantry for at least a week.

-
Back