Dilemma on a Duster - 71 or 74

-
1974 duster from california rustfree except surface rust in spare tire well. It doesnt have a trunk gasket and the delivery truck broke down so he says and I didnt get the car for 11 weeks. the under side of this car is like brand new, no paint or undercoating. when I pulled the rubber mat up the original paint is so nice it could be hand cleaned and waxed,selling, new guage panel from an earlier year. all work, slant 6 auto, engine compartment has no rust whatsoever and is super clean.have a decent black dash pad for the car, outside is a 9 out of 10 with the exception of a small bad sanding job about the size of a fist . the color is butterscotch I think and has black 440 racing stripes down the side and 440 logo on the rear fender, bb hole in front windshield,needs new cheap plastic turn signal mechanism ,have to hold lever while turning right.no rear seat as a scumbag on ebay ripped me off. super fine early 70 duster bucket seats. original black dash pad,. everything works. lights turn sigs,flashers lites, etc etc guy in here wants the front bench seat presently in car and I paid a lot for these 9 out of 10 seats so price is $4200

$3400 without seats, im telling you with original slant 6 rebuilt and the trans rebuilt, both detailed, spray the trunk and engine compartment, get a new windshield, 200 bux if your careful takin old one out and dont ruin gasket. I got quotes to rebuild the slant 6 ,complete rebuild ,all new parts of 1400 bux, the trans figure another 400 max, this done this would be a 13k car and would run another 33 years. both cars are super fine, also, dart has galvanized aluminum panels and stock dash,cage bla bla bla, Im in s fla so anyone near looking for 1 top quality car ,send an email, im only selling one and when I do I have a ton of engines and trans combos im selling, just depends which car sells first, my word is gold fellow mopar lovers, these cars are super nice but the duster will blow you away its so clean. regards

I dont know how. email me at mopar1962 @comcast.net and ill show anyone some pix of both cars

I always liked the 73-74 dusters. Had a silver 73 340 way back. the big bolt pattern is a nice way to start. Would love to find a nice 74 360 car.

prine,nothing to be sorry about if that charger had the 400 engine in it..take care

fast, in a nutshell, literally im too dumb to figure out to do it and the wifes too busy but I have them in a file on my account.

I know where there's a 74 Duster for sale right now with an E58 360 hp motor big bolt disc brakes, rebuilt 727(column shift) and an 8 3/4(big bolt) in it for $1000, owner would probably take $800.00 or $900.00 for it. It's just sitting in a field, engine runs great but cold use a carb, Needs suspension rebuilt and paint(primer grey). It also has descent black interior other than the headliner and dash pad. I'm hoping it's still there in a few weeks when I can come up with the cash. It's my buddies car that I put together out of an engineless 6 cylinder body that we bought for $300.00

1974 Charger was Baby Blue/White 318/904 :dontknow:

I bought a 1974 Charger SE, baby blue with a white vinyl top, for $500.00 in 1998 because the guy who owned it couldn't get it fired up. It was a 400 magnum, 727, 8 3/4 car with the rallye exhaust tips still on it and crager SS mags. Turns out somebody had bypassed the seatbelt interlock in it and the two wires came undone under the dash. With a new connecter on the two wires , some gas and new plugs it fired up first try. I sold it for $2000.00 a month later. Man, that car would bake em! Wish i still had it. I still have the tuff steering wheel out of it in my dart sport and a few polaroids of it. I like the 71-4 Chargers, a lot of people don't.

While I own a 73, I do prefer the earlier tail lights to the post-73 lights. I also think the sharkstooth grille is the best looking Duster grille. But, if it's not a sharkstooth grille, it looks kind of boring.

With that said, go for it. There really isn't that much difference and you can certainly make a post-73 Duster look as good as any 70-72.

Not my cars, but great examples of good looking 73 and after cars:
19d6_3.jpg

187e_3.jpg

1ca5_3.jpg

3B359642-4sm.jpg

3B359642-6sm.jpg

My problem with years after 72 is I see signs of Volare and Aspens - can't help it - I'd probly have to swap on an earlier front clip ...

Uhhhh ... actually some of these pics have swayed me...I think I could do 73-74

I have a '71 340 Duster, but I've seen some '73-'76 Dusters I'd own.

The '73 - '76 cars are a lot less expensive as a starting point too, if you want to build something.

Either way, you should find some good deals on the 1973-75 340/360's.

My problem with years after 72 is I see signs of Volare and Aspens - can't help it - I'd probly have to swap on an earlier front clip ...

I agree with the looks comment,but if your going to switch over the front clip why not just buy a '70-'71 duster...

It won't matter what any of it looks like if your stuffing a 440 in it. They'll be so pissed off all they will remember it was a MOPAR that tore their *** up. Look at mine over on Mopar general discussion. Topic is "The beast lives.... Dropping it down off the jack stands tonite after i go in and eat some pizza. Buy it.

hi iagree buy what you want to buy. i really like the 71-72 duster more than the 73-74 dusters.here is a pick of a 73 duster a guy i know on moparts.com has for sell. If i had the money i would buy it in a hart beat. Mopar658)

newdust1 (Small).jpg

I agree with the looks comment,but if your going to switch over the front clip why not just buy a '70-'71 duster...

Hey, there's nothing wrong with swapping clips to get the look you want.
My clip was $190 at Pick your part.
Dusterbeachbright.jpg

Oh please the '73's have the pointed hood,bigger bumpers,big square taillights,and those generic side markers,and that granny looking grille...

I love the sleeper look of my "granny" looking 74 Duster. Fools everyone who thinks its slow. We all can't have the year we want, but the I've grown to like the look of the 73-74's.

-
Back