Do Early A-Bodies Truly Have Lower Profile Hoods?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The first generation Ford Mustang hood does not seem to me to stick up any higher from the ground than the first generation Barracuda (although I have never measured or compared them side-by-side). But didn't Chrysler claim the six cylinder motors were manufactured at a 30 degree angle to allow for a more streamlined profile?

Anyone have both of the above vehicles at home and can do a comparison for us? Thank you.

mustang.jpg

barracuda front.jpg

Here is a quote from one of many source articles:

The inline engine was given the Slant Six name because of its unique, 30-degree tilt toward the passenger side of the vehicle. This design was implemented for several reasons, according to Chrysler’s original 1960 press release:

• The center of gravity is much lower than in upright engines
  • Increased clearance for use with the Plymouth Valiant’s low-profile hood
  • Engine accessories are more accessible
OnAllCylinders – Top 10 Engines of All Time (#6): Chrysler 225 Slant Six

The Ford I6's were much shorter. I don't have outside dimensions but the stroke and rod length between the two is quite an bit different. The Slant 6 was a long stroke, long rod torque motor.
Slant 6 stroke: 3.40 Rod length: 6.69
Ford 2oo 6 stroke: 2.94 Rod length: 4.71

The slant six was developed before the Mustang and Barracuda were even thought about. Look at 1960 Valiants and 1961 Lancers, that is what it was developed for...

I think it's more for the distance between the K frame of that vintage A body, and the underside of the hood. Not hood to ground. I am setting the engine in my early A back and down for the same reasons, but had to modify the K frame and trans crossmember to do what I want.

Minor point, Slant Six strokes were 3 1/8" for 170's, 3.64" for 198's, and 4 1/8" for 225's. The 170 "G" block was about an inch shorter in height than the 198/225 "RG" block.

If you put a slanty225 on the garage floor, and stand it up vertical, Its monster tall. They would have needed a pretty big powerbulge to cover it. Probably not the best idea for a grocery-getter.

Those early As do have a pretty short hood to K dimension, which you will find out PDQ when you put a V8 in there with a high-rise intake.

Last edited:
In that case, maybe the slant is just so it fits under normal/conventional/standard hood (not a "lower profile' hood per se).

-
Back