Dont loan out your tools

-
Also posted on facebook:

Never lend your tools out !!!!!!

I had a "buddy" who needed to borrow a cam bearing tool. So I loaned it like an idiot and turns out he didn't need it for himself but his buddy who I don't know and needed it for a mustang of some sort.

So he takes my cam bearing tool and leaves it at his buddies place in a shady part of town, who is the one who actually needed it. He never brought it back, so 2 months later I go to get it back and my former "buddy" says he doesn't have it and told where his buddy lives who used it and told me that I have to go get it myself.

So I go to this other guy's house who has it who I don't know.
I tell him that it is mine and my "buddy" told me to come get it.

The guy who used it tells me to "F%c^ off, BiT&%" .....so I get the door slammed n my face and my cam bearing tool is long gone.

Luckily it was a cheap Chinkese tool that I found at a pawn shop a few years ago for cheap because I had to weld the end and it was missing some parts when I got it. So it could have been worse.

So to not let dumb things get me down .......I got over it and ordered a new Lisle 18000

Its in the mail but when it gets here, I am never lending it or any other tool out ever again. (I am going to get hostile if anyone asks) This is a much better tool anyways so remember, turn those lemons in life into sweet lemonade and buy nice tools, and don't forget to NEVER lend them out.

Mopar or no car Brothers and Sisters

View attachment 1715049596
I loaned a friend my car trailer. Weeks later when I went to use it my truck kept blowing fuses. I asked him what happened and he said he had to re-wire the trailer to work on his truck. I asked him when he was going to fix , he told me he didn't have the time.

yes, exactly....that kinda surprised me when he said I had to go get it myself if I want it back.

I had to hide a ton of fear approaching an unknown house and asking a guy I don't know to give my stuff back. I don't really think he took me serious.

How am I going to argue or intimidate a guy who has probably a foot and a half and about 100 pounds on me.

I somewhat regret not trying to take a better stand but I am not sure it would have been worth 150. bucks

Besides What would Jesus do ....

I don't know what Jesus would do, but if my wife had to go get her tool back from a unknown situation, She would have been carrying her LCR Ruger 357 ( pink by the way) and I'm pretty sure she would have gortten her tool back.

Son in law borrowed a aluminum extension ladder never brought it back. Shortly after he was. EX-son in law. Stopped by several times to get it, no one around and shop locked. Stopped by again no one around and shop UNLOCKED, got my ladder back. Saw him several times after and I never mentioned a word about it.
Yote

I don't know what Jesus would do, but if my wife had to go get her tool back from a unknown situation, She would have been carrying her LCR Ruger 357 ( pink by the way) and I'm pretty sure she would have gortten her tool back.

My wife wouldn't even go heels and still gotten her tool back.

All 5'2" of her.

It'll cost you more in gas to drive out to my house for a tool, than it takes just to buy it.

Years ago I loaned out a really nice tow bar, never saw it again. Between that and some other stuff that happened made me not want to do loan anything or get involved in any kind of project with other people for a long time.

That said, I have one long time friend who I will loan anything to and help do anything he needs a hand with. Recently I loaned him my TIG welder. I bought the welder 20 years ago, partially because I wanted one, but also to put a rollcage and a backhalf kit in his 68 Camaro. He bought the argon bottle to go on the welder. A few years ago he bought a Bridgeport mill and a lathe. I brought over my gantry crane to help him unload them and gave him some accessary stuff for the mill. I have since racked up many hours on the lathe and mill making stuff I need.

As was said above, you need to be very selective about who you hang with and do stuff with, there are lots of people out there who have no problem taking advantage of you in any way they can.

Years ago I loaned out a really nice tow bar, never saw it again. Between that and some other stuff that happened made me not want to do loan anything or get involved in any kind of project with other people for a long time.

That said, I have one long time friend who I will loan anything to and help do anything he needs a hand with. Recently I loaned him my TIG welder. I bought the welder 20 years ago, partially because I wanted one, but also to put a rollcage and a backhalf kit in his 68 Camaro. He bought the argon bottle to go on the welder. A few years ago he bought a Bridgeport mill and a lathe. I brought over my gantry crane to help him unload them and gave him some accessary stuff for the mill. I have since racked up many hours on the lathe and mill making stuff I need.

As was said above, you need to be very selective about who you hang with and do stuff with, there are lots of people out there who have no problem taking advantage of you in any way they can.
You are indeed a very fortunate man. My best friend in life died October 5 2006. No one has come close taking his place!

People ask to borrow tools from the shop and the answer is they cannot leave the shop, go in the front door and pay for the repairs. People ask me to borrow personal tools and the answer is they can't leave the property and I have to help with the repair.... works for me

See this is why I don't loan tools .... ever not when auto zone and others do it for free

[QUOTE="ragtopfury, post: 1971681849, member: 21491" After all, I caught a lot of crabs with that motor.[/QUOTE]

Your secret is safe with us.
lol.

all the feelings of resentment are pretty much gone now that my new tool has arrived.

The lesson is still the same.....I learned my lesson the hard way to not loan out tools, unless I could get over it if they get lost.

I have loaned out tools before and got them back. I loaned out a stud gun for body work and the borrower brought it back with an extra box of new studs for it and a new tip. So its not everyone but I guess you really find out who your friends are and what they are made of.

Now on to building my slant :)

CIMG0003.JPG

im to good harted,..friend in need ill help them out, just way i am,..but now days cant remember who i lent what to or when,..or if i left it with one of my many projects around the farm and dont remember where i left it, as you can imagine spend more time looking for tools n parts than fixing,..maybe ill get caught up one day....maybe!

all the feelings of resentment are pretty much gone now that my new tool has arrived.

The lesson is still the same.....I learned my lesson the hard way to not loan out tools, unless I could get over it if they get lost.

I have loaned out tools before and got them back. I loaned out a stud gun for body work and the borrower brought it back with an extra box of new studs for it and a new tip. So its not everyone but I guess you really find out who your friends are and what they are made of.

Now on to building my slant :)

View attachment 1715050953
I wish I could get my wife to loan out her stud gun!

Years ago I loaned a brand new in-the-box cherry picker to a guy I worked with so he could pull his engine. A month or so went by and I had to ask him to return it. He said he had loaded to his dad and his dad was out of town. Blah, Blah, when I got it back the support arms were bent. The guy says, well my dad bent them, but if you put some heat on them you can straighten them. I said Oh no, this one belongs to you. What I loaned you was a brand new in the box cherry picker (from Costco) and what I expect back is a brand new in the box cherry picker from Costco. He pissed and moaned about "how unfair I was being" but I did get a brand new in the box Costco picker from him

People sense of what is fair is unbelievable. I worked with a guy that borrowed two BRP high dollar jet skis from his father in law. Took them out a blew one of the engines up. To which his level of responsibility was, " I ain't paying for that, it would have blown up on his father in law anyway!"
Yeah, you have to be VERY selective on who you loan your stuff to!

Years ago I loaned a brand new in-the-box cherry picker to a guy I worked with so he could pull his engine. A month or so went by and I had to ask him to return it. He said he had loaded to his dad and his dad was out of town. Blah, Blah, when I got it back the support arms were bent. The guy says, well my dad bent them, but if you put some heat on them you can straighten them. I said Oh no, this one belongs to you. What I loaned you was a brand new in the box cherry picker (from Costco) and what I expect back is a brand new in the box cherry picker from Costco. He pissed and moaned about "how unfair I was being" but I did get a brand new in the box Costco picker from him
I have a friend that I loaned quite a few tools to start his shop 6 years ago, Cherry picker, big battery charger, Heinz Warner trans jack,shop heaters, A/C tools. Well little by little he bought me a new cherry picker, new battery charger, Bought the trans jack from me, heaters, etc. So yes there are some good guys left in this world.

-
Back