Don't Store a Camshaft for Too Long a Period

-
After my first small block build I did not have the oil pump drive indexed and the vacuum advance was hitting the firewall. This resulted in not being able to time the engine correctly for the initial fire-up. And that resulted in a wiped camshaft lobe. Isky was kind enough to send me a "warranty" cam, but I put a hotter camshaft in the rebuild of the rebuild.

The warranty camshaft was stored in it's original box/packing, but 30 years later when I examined it during a move, I found a good layer of rust. I did not want to chance using it after that discovery, so I threw it out. Did not think at the time it could have been saved in some way?

My advice is to bath your camshafts in some kind of lubricant (40wt motor oil?) and check on them once a year to find if they have suffered any weathering/storage deterioration.

DUH ---------

Don't Store a Camshaft for Too Long a Period.

Whatever they put on this P-shaft seems to be working.....so far. Around 11/12 years stowed. Lol, One of those "might use it someday" items.
5007698cam1.jpg

I wrap my long term storage cams with newspaper SOAKED with PBlaster. Works well.

Very highly flamable. Use with extreme caution.
Cleans like nobodys business, dont use in a closed environment. The fumes will gitya. Kill brain cells, cause death. I use it at work all the time. Not too bad really once your familiar w the precautions. Its like souped up laquer thinner. Its the best thing i have found for cleaning epoxy primer out of a paint gun.

BTW the paper mopar used around that camshaft is cosmoline paper. It wotks well too

Another corrosion inhibiter that works well but doesnt dry, and stays kinda waxy is LPS 3 its in spray can form. This is easily removed with laquer thinner and a paper towel, or shop cloth. I work in the airline industry. I do sheetmetal structural repair. I deal with corrosion all the time. Sometimes we end up with half full cans of this and the Cor-Ban 35 in the expired chemical drum because they are out of date. I take em home, use em there. Sure these 2 chemicals are a little pricey but if all you use them for is prepping parts for long term storage, they are well worth the buy in price.

I have a set of cordoba rotors i am going to mount on my sons 69 cuda to make it a roller. My buddy is gonna turn em for me, then i'm going to spray em with Cor-Ban 35 and let the car sit outside until i get to it. I can wipe em down 10-15 years from now even after sitting in a dirt floor carport, and they will look like they were just machined yesterday. Already sprayed the new explorer rear discs going in the back. They will look just as good when i am ready to get back on it.

Screenshot_20181122-101521.png

Last edited:
You "threw it out?" It would have made a GREAT core for a regrind

Covered mine in grease as much as possible then wrapped it in news paper. I have another one I sat on a self without putting a thing on it. It’s been sitting out for 10 years now and it’s barely starting to get some surface rust. I’m confident the grease covered one will be fine if I ever decide to use it again.

Yes because you could be shot trying to get it.

What’s not to like?
Oil soaked
In a plastic wrapper
Inside a box
Temp controlled
Out of sight and mind (almost)
Not being moved or knocked around

.99 store tub of petroleum jelly and a newspaper. Coat, wrap and store. I got 6 cams leaned up in the garage. one is purple and shows no rust. One old slant cam had some rust but a stroke of 00 steel wool buffed it out to nothing but a stain. Also did an evaporust and made the rust disappear too. Could not feel any evidence of corrosion. I had a gear set that got attacked pretty good for some reason. I Took the rust off but I felt signs of pitting. Maybe different grade steel?

Is that a Russian Nagant? I have a NOS WW2 german mauser that was stored in cosmoline. Looks and shoots like a brand new rifle.
Yeah it can be tough to get it off but its not as bad as people make it out to be.

THATS COOL! @MoparMike1974 Your the only other person I know whom has a German Mauser... My grandfather brought it back after WW2 he said it was from Hermann Gorings collection though it cannot be proven as the insignia plate was removed and 'gotten rid of ' to more easily be overlooked when brought back. It can be seen where the plate was affixed but as I mention none of it can be proven.

Why? There is a large following for them in your country. Its a great milsurp.
Cause we can't import them like Canada does. Price is twice as much when you find one. At least we can have ten round mags in them.

Cause we can't import them like Canada does. Price is twice as much when you find one. At least we can have ten round mags in them.

Yeah they are cheap and plentiful. See if our stupid commie liberal govt lets us keep them. The 5rd thing would be a 30 second fix if **** ever hit the fan.

-
Back