Drag racing total timing,Eddy heads

-

Marky Dart

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this question on the RPM heads .I've built a 0.60 360 with SRP pistons down 0.20 thou.( I know should be at least a zero deck height)Comp Extreme solid flat tappit#231-4.Holley 850,Airgap,Hooker comp headers,TCI streetfighter 3000 stall.727-4:10's.Cranking compression with this cam is a dismal 180 psi.(stone cold).Drag radials and slapper bars and home made leaf spring clamps.comp Eng.shocks.Im racing this weekend with total set at 38.Now when I ran a sbc 383 with vic.Jr, heads I ran a 40 degree total.I know a different animal but curious to hear what others are running with these rpm heads.Car is a 70 Dart by the way.Oh and has 7.5" of vacuum idle in gear.

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps or not, BUT, we're kinda in the almost same boat, your boat is up the food chain a little farther, and bigger, the block etc....
I run-and this might be different for you-NO vacuum advance, no crossover-X pipe on 3" dual exhaust and a Edlebrock™ 650 intake and RPM™ heads.
I'd love to dig through your "I thought it might work but..." parts pile.
Total of 38 seems right from what I remember from a 360 Duster I had, and this was in the early '80s and there was nobody to ask except that old drag racer next door, who you don't ask when he's sober-Lloyd. Thats a whole story in it's self....
Yeah.
I wrote stuff down with pencil and paper, it weathered 36 years and I can't find most of it but I still had that. The 318 I have so I hope that might help also.
If you don't mind a little backfiring you could try that 1 degree from where your at. And you probably already done that........(I'm gonna follow along to see how things worked out).
Oh, it's a '75 Dart Sport, 318, A 904, and 8 ¼ rear end, Hedman™ long hedders empty Flowmasters™, Edlebrock™ 650, intake and heads are Performer RPM™, MSD™ ignition, and is about 1500 miles from the rebuild.

318 Spec Sheet.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps or not, BUT, we're kinda in the almost same boat, your boat is up the food chain a little farther, the block etc....
I run-and this might be different for you-NO vacuum advance, no cross over-X pipe on 3" dual exhaust and a Edlebrock 650 intake and RPM heads.
I'd love to dig through your "I thought it might work but..." pile.
Total of 38 seems right from what I remember from a 369 Duster I had, and this was in the early '80s and there was nobody to ask except that old drag racer, who you don't ask when he's sober-Lloyd.
Yeah.
I wrote stuff down with pencil and paper, it weathered 36 years and I can't find most of it but I still had that. The 318 I have so I hope that might help also.
If you don't mind a little backfiring you could try that 1 degree from where your at. And you probably already done that........(I'm gonna follow along to see how things worked out).

View attachment 1715228202

Timing sounds ok but I would trash the slapper bars and unclamp the back half of the springs and let the suspension do it's job. I would run a pinion snubber about 3/4" from the floor. just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply.When I built the Chev 383 I used a similar solid cam-lift and duration with 10-1 compression.Apples to oranges again.The chamber design of the Vic .JR heads sure liked a lot of advance.It picked up big at 40 degrees and met another racer that ran 45 total with those heads.
I don't know enough about theMopar small block 340 RPM chamber design,especially with lower compression.My buddy runs a b.b. 440 with Eddy heads and runs 40 degrees.I guess i will make a few runs and try somethingI'll be lucky to get 3 or 4 runs in as it's probably the last race of the year.I will try running my Proform 750 after a couple passes with my 850.The 850 sure feels stronger street mid range but thats moot.

Timing sounds ok but I would trash the slapper bars and unclamp the back half of the springs and let the suspension do it's job. I would run a pinion snubber about 3/4" from the floor. just my opinion.
The back of the leafs are not clamped.The slapper bars do work.There is no real room for a pinion snubber.I mini tubbed the back.With a 275 in there and the front bracket in the middle hole there is about 4 " room.I can't justify $ Cal Tracs yet.Not up north with our exchange rate.Maybe next year.Some Mopar fellows are running slappers at the track pulling the fronts so they can work.

Never get tired of seeing those pictures, more, more, more!!!!!

Jake-non gold member
My wife is coming to the track this Friday to take some pics.I'll post my experience and hope the wife gets some good shots.Hope to run high low 12's-High 11's.Its a daily driver pump gas project.3460 with my old butt onboard.Weather looks great-A little cool and sunny.

32-34 degrees with my eddies.
Have no idea how fast your wanting to go, but an 8 inch convertor will make a huge difference, and its extremely likely either a 750 or 950 carb will work better than the 850 will.
Good luck

32-34 degrees with my eddies.
Have no idea how fast your wanting to go, but an 8 inch convertor will make a huge difference, and its extremely likely either a 750 or 950 carb will work better than the 850 will.
Good luck
Yes a smaller converter would be nice but with 3000 stall and 4'10s now its at it's edge as I drive it just about everyday.Sometimes for miles.I will back it down to 34 and try that.Wish i had more track time but winter is a comin' and thats it for this year.

Yes a smaller converter would be nice but with 3000 stall and 4'10s now its at it's edge as I drive it just about everyday.Sometimes for miles.I will back it down to 34 and try that.Wish i had more track time but winter is a comin' and thats it for this year.

A good tight 8 inch will actually drive better than those sloppy 10 inchers do that are usually less effecient. No kidding.... lol
And the performace difference is astounding

I love my 9.5 ptc on the street. 4.10 gear 26.5 tire stalls 3400ish. About 6% slippage at the stripe.

I'd start around 34 total. Run it. See MPH. Add 1-2* run again see MPH. Up the engine likes it, down, wrong direction.

Having the initial correct will help with idle quality and snappiness off idle.

I'd start around 34 total. Run it. See MPH. Add 1-2* run again see MPH. Up the engine likes it, down, wrong direction.

Thanks Crackedback.I just finished setting up timing-34 total with 24 initial.I'm using a 4 seconds flat bushing.-Hey I also have a cracked lower verta-disc.
thank God for good Scotch.

360 , zero deck and 61 cc eddies, it doesn't like any more than 28*, your setup probably wont need to go back that far though.

360 , zero deck and 61 cc eddies, it doesn't like any more than 28*, your setup probably wont need to go back that far though.
Good morning Raymond.As stated the pistons are below deck 0.20 and I believe the 340 eddies are a 65 cc.Cranking compression is 180.That I would think can be related to a big cam and pistons down the hole. Not sure about the 28?

Just what I had in mind while reading through the post.
I was going to say start at 35*, and go in 2* increments and see how the car responds. Let the car decide where it wants to run. I would first go to 37*, and if worse, try 33*. Keep going till the car is happy

My butt-dyno, on the street, cannot tell the difference between 32* and 36*; so it's been at 32/34* since about 2004. She did the 1/8th at 93mph at that setting, and burning 87E10.

-
Back