Drag Truck Part 2 "blackmark redemption"

-
Actually this may be a good deal for making a fiberglass bumper. As it doesn't have to be perfect. Get some plaster and make a mold of the metal one and then use that to make a mold for the fiberglass. If you do it yourself you can make them cheap maybe...

Actually this may be a good deal for making a fiberglass bumper. As it doesn't have to be perfect. Get some plaster and make a mold of the metal one and then use that to make a mold for the fiberglass. If you do it yourself you can make them cheap maybe...
I don't think it would be worth the time spent. I think the front bumper only weighs about 20 lbs ?? I had it off to remove the bumperettes, and it seemed pretty light. No reinforcement behind it at all. Not sure what a fiberglass bumper would weigh, but if I saved 12 lbs, I just don't think it would be worth the time and money spent. Maybe a 1x8 pine board??? I've done that before... LOL We'll leave the chrome front on this year...

I don't think it would be worth the time spent. I think the front bumper only weighs about 20 lbs ?? I had it off to remove the bumperettes, and it seemed pretty light. No reinforcement behind it at all. Not sure what a fiberglass bumper would weigh, but if I saved 12 lbs, I just don't think it would be worth the time and money spent. Maybe a 1x8 pine board??? I've done that before... LOL We'll leave the chrome front on this year...
I was thinking get your 1in drill bit out and make swiss cheese out of it and then cover it with like a white visqueen type sticker or even white duct tape...

there used to be a "plastic sheet" that we ironed on our model airplanes...Monokote, I believe it was called. they had chrome in iron on and a sticker sheet.just a thought.

I would have thought a chrome bumper would have been for a new truck and a white bumper for an old farm truck.

I would have thought a chrome bumper would have been for a new truck and a white bumper for an old farm truck.
I'm the 3rd owner... I think it spent most it's life on a farm - or at least in farm country "Good Ole Wisconsin" :)

I think I'm getting down on weight to the point it would be a '68-70 B-body small block weight. Couple more changes and I should be around 3550 lbs.

that sounds like an obtainable goal...although it does have just a tad more wind resistance.
Agree, more wind resistance. It will add some to the difficulty, but I think we are ok. The REAL test will be when we get the gears changed and the 5.9 in it. Technically, at that point it would easily beat my 360 Duster if the drive train was in another Duster. We'll know then how much the truck is holding it back. IF it goes 12's, were in great shape heading into the big block.

Agree, more wind resistance. It will add some to the difficulty, but I think we are ok. The REAL test will be when we get the gears changed and the 5.9 in it. Technically, at that point it would easily beat my 360 Duster if the drive train was in another Duster. We'll know then how much the truck is holding it back. IF it goes 12's, were in great shape heading into the big block.
12's!!??... Your going to have to remind me of that drive train and gears again...

just stay tuned.… good times ahead
:thumbsup:
:rolleyes:... What is this ancient Chinese secret or something?.. I'm not the researcher guy like you and going back through everything.. I know you talked about a cam and gears and a magnum motor, a four barrel intake and headers? I think you even said something about a torque converter..

:rolleyes:... What is this ancient Chinese secret or something?.. I'm not the researcher guy like you and going back through everything.. I know you talked about a cam and gears and a magnum motor, a four barrel intake and headers? I think you even said something about a torque converter..
the motor we are putting in it will have more power than my Duster. The gears will be better than the 2.94's in my Duster. Basically, if this drive train we are putting in the truck was being installed in a Duster, it would be a yawn to go 12's. What I'm saying is we will see how much the truck is actually holding it back. If the truck goes 12's then we are in great shape when the 440 is done. If it goes 13.8's then the truck is hurting it a great deal.....

the motor we are putting in it will have more power than my Duster. The gears will be better than the 2.94's in my Duster. Basically, if this drive train we are putting in the truck was being installed in a Duster, it would be a yawn to go 12's. What I'm saying is we will see how much the truck is actually holding it back. If the truck goes 12's then we are in great shape when the 440 is done. If it goes 13.8's then the truck is hurting it a great deal.....
You're a hoot! The duster would be at 12's LOL with this mystery motor and mystery gears... I for one am on pins and needles...lol..
Are you planning on doing some street racing like farmtruck and not giving up your secrets?... LOL...

You're a hoot! The duster would be at 12's LOL with this mystery motor and mystery gears... I for one am on pins and needles...lol..
Are you planning on doing some street racing like farmtruck and not giving up your secrets?... LOL...
what secrets you keep talking about??? Verse my LA 360 in my Duster, the 5.9 will have better heads (magnum heads), the cam has more lift/duration, it will have better compression, and a lighter rotating assembly. Is this a speed secret or something??? Is it a speed secret that 3.91's or even 3.55's is better than 2.94's in the 1/4 mile?? If I dropped this motor and gears in my Duster, I'd sleep walk well into the 12's.....

Last edited:
what secrets you keep talking about??? Verse my LA 360 in my Duster, the 5.9 will have better heads (magnum heads), the cam has more lift/duration, it will have better compression, and a lighter rotating assembly. Is this a speed secret or something??? Is it a speed secret that 3.91's or even 3.55's is better than 2.94's in the 1/4 mile?? If I dropped this motor and gears in my Duster, I'd sleep walk well into the 12's.....
What lifts, what duration? 391 or 3:55? One tire fire?

What lifts, what duration? 391 or 3:55? One tire fire?
218/224 @ 050. With 1.6 mag rockers, it will be about .526/533 lift. At least 3.55's, but most likely better

Last edited:
218/224 @ 050. With 1.6 mag rockers, it will be about .526/533 lift. At least 3.55's, but most likely better

P.S. - my Duster has 204/212 @ 050 with .427/.455 lift
You do have a way of putting your predictions that haven't happened into reality LOL...

You do have a way of putting your predictions that haven't happened into reality LOL...

If this does this that should do that...
you'd be the only one on this site that wouldn't know 3.91's would be better than 2.94's. And you are also the only one to not know that 218/224 @ 050 wouldn't make more power than 204/212 @ 050. And lift.... compression, head flow, never mind.

precisely the reason I'd rather not repeat my list for you. LOL. I list it once, days later you demand my "secret" list, then come back with doubt upon doubt added with sarcasm, never with reality. You think my Duster would go faster than 13.3's if I went to 3.55's, added a little more lift/duration, added compression and better heads? Draw your own conclusion.

you'd be the only one on this site that wouldn't know 3.91's would be better than 2.94's. And you are also the only one to not know that 218/224 @ 050 wouldn't make more power than 204/212 @ 050. And lift.... compression, head flow, never mind.
And don't forget about your looser converter! LOL and you would be the only one on this forum that wouldn't know with all that extra gear and all that extra cam and don't forget torque converter that you're not just going to dead hook a 1.8 60 foot LOL..

precisely the reason I'd rather not repeat my list for you. LOL. I list it once, days later you demand my "secret" list, then come back with doubt upon doubt added with sarcasm, never with reality. You think my Duster would go faster than 13.3's if I went to 3.55's, added a little more lift/duration, added compression and better heads? Draw your own conclusion.
DEMAND!?... LOL..

And don't forget about your looser converter! LOL and you would be the only one on this forum that wouldn't know with all that extra gear and all that extra cam and don't forget torque converter that you're not just going to dead hook a 1.8 60 foot LOL..
I hooked with a 3200 converter and 4.30 gears in my last A-body, and with a lot more motor than my current Duster. I think you need to worry about your own traction issues... LOL

-
Back