Drag Truck Part 2 "blackmark redemption"

-
the car rear end sits on top the leafs, trucks underneath. You lower it about 4-5" by going to a car rear end. Then, you can use slapper bars :D
Here you go! Sorry no pictures of slapper bars on. Remember to change the degree of the shocks or you will have traction problems as I did before doing this with a truck.

t74.JPG

t15.JPG

Traction bar or slapper bars made to fit to be closer to the front eye bolts to work right. I left about a quarter inch gap at the eyebolt for a better ride on the street.

t84.JPG

I've decided I don't really like the Ford rims on the truck - they'll work till something else shows up.

32 degrees with a 10 mph wind - feels like 24* I don't think I'll be doing anything today on the truck :) But I'm going to try to get a fan belt, and install that at least, so I guess that's something

32 degrees with a 10 mph wind - feels like 24* I don't think I'll be doing anything today on the truck :) But I'm going to try to get a fan belt, and install that at least, so I guess that's something
Getting a little things done is huge actually..

Getting a little things done is huge actually..
I agree, and another thing I've been doing is getting it ready to pass tech. I got the battery anchored (I found it behind the headlight .. LOL), strapped in a radiator catch can that they had laying on the fender, 2 throttle springs, etc.

4.5 back spacing on a 12" wide wheels
I've got to say, building a truck has been a blast up to this point. Options for engines, mounts, rear ends, etc etc and finding what I'm looking for has been easy and fairly cheap. Most things have been super easy to work on. We are unofficially (just my scale and math) under 3600 lbs now, and more to go. When it comes to racing, and hot rod looks I'm a car guy through and through. But I can truly say this has been super fun to this point.

I've got to say, building a truck has been a blast up to this point. Options for engines, mounts, rear ends, etc etc and finding what I'm looking for has been easy and fairly cheap. Most things have been super easy to work on. We are unofficially (just my scale and math) under 3600 lbs now, and more to go. When it comes to racing, and hot rod looks I'm a car guy through and through. But I can truly say this has been super fun to this point.
I agree! When I built my truck, I changed a lot from a stock truck. It is nothing like building a car. From getting it to sit low, handle right after a complete front suspension change, and trying to get all to work at the track is a big challange.

I agree! When I built my truck, I changed a lot from a stock truck. It is nothing like building a car. From getting it to sit low, handle right after a complete front suspension change, and trying to get all to work at the track is a big challange.
For sure you went into more detail work than we plan to with ours. Not sure how this will work out, but trying to somewhat keep the farm truck look.

LOL... are you showing me swiss cheese?? LOL Pretty easy to do on a truck. Box unbolts simply enough and half the truck frame is just right there. Front clip isn't bad to unbolt as well. And cab???
Yeah anything past the rear spring perches should be pretty much cut off...
If it's a drag truck it doesn't make any sense to have the inner bed walls... Actually the bed itself as well...

Yeah anything past the rear spring perches should be pretty much cut off...
If it's a drag truck it doesn't make any sense to have the inner bed walls... Actually the bed itself as well...
We'll see where we end up with the Big Block. If we can get there without butchering, we won't butcher.

Last edited:
Another question if you don't mind... LOL. Did you use the original leaf springs, just flip the pin bolt through the springs for the car perchs? Also, wondering if a Ramcharger gas tank would fit in the back of the truck? I'd rather carry the weight back there plus have more room for the exhaust.

Another question if you don't mind... LOL. Did you use the original leaf springs, just flip the pin bolt through the springs for the car perchs? Also, wondering if a Ramcharger gas tank would fit in the back of the truck? I'd rather carry the weight back there plus have more room for the exhaust.
Yes I did use the original leaf springs and pin. I wanted to see how the truck would launch with these springs. You will need something like traction bars with more HP. My truck was all over the place at first. Makes sure as I said before to relocate your shocks out more, as you can see the other mounting hole in the picture, and also clamp your springs if there is none. Not sure on the gas tank. Also moved the battery back for more weight. If you have a welder, weld all the crossmembers to make it more solid.

t23.JPG

I've started a dreadful task.... replacing the rear leafs. Those 40 year old bushings are not going to give away, as well as the bolts. The rear shackles I'll buy new, but the front mount, as we know, is riveted to the frame. Just not the type of work I enjoy, but needs to be done

Van lower control arms will lower the front a few inches.

Big blocks are no problems in a truck had a 76 with a factory 440. The motor mounts are pricey and fairly rare, if you see a set for sale grab them.

Duel tank trucks had the gas tank mounted in the back like a Ramcharger.

Van lower control arms will lower the front a few inches.

Big blocks are no problems in a truck had a 76 with a factory 440. The motor mounts are pricey and fairly rare, if you see a set for sale grab them.

Duel tank trucks had the gas tank mounted in the back like a Ramcharger.
I may end up going to the rear gas tank. Just more room for exhaust, or any tranny/drive shaft work. Not sure I'm going to lower it much, if any.

-
Back