Driveline vibration on 64 cuda

-

novadave

Reaction score
Having issues with a vibration in the driveline. 273 cubic inch 4 speed. Possible issues with drive shaft? Any suggestions?Just bought the car about 3 weeks ago drive shaft was off the guy towed it back to north Dakota from Colorado on a car Dolly put a rear joint in it to get it moveable rubber boot was shot found one at inland truck parts were they rebuild driveshaft so I took it all apart pressed out the pin cleaned everything up and regreased it all put all the parts back that we took out centered the pin and put back on the car vibrates in 1st and 2 nd when accelerating3 rd not bad at higher speeds 4 th can do 75 80 mph .whole car shakes after take off the car has 202,000 miles on it same owner for 43 yrs sitting in farm yard last 27 yrs got it home put some lube in cylinders put new points and plugs in it poured gas in carb cranked over twice and fired right up happy as a pig in in _ _ _ _ will try to send photos this forums and chat stuff new to me kinda ol fashioned oh by the way I did rotate the shaft 180 on the trans end seem to help a little also found out my shaft was missing those wave washer someone said that might be the problem ?

Last edited:
If you think it is a drive shaft balance issue, you can use 2 worm style hose clamps.

Move the clamps around the drive shaft until the balance vibration becomes less.

If this helps the situation, then take the drive shaft to the drive shaft shop. Tell them what you did and how it improved, then have them rebalance the shaft.

☆☆☆☆☆

Try unbolting the driveshaft and rotating it 180* and see if that helps.

Vibrations are felt in frequencies. For example, a driveline vibration will have the feel and sound as I like to say of a "heard of pissed off bumble bees". It will be sorta a buzz that kinda "oscilates". Then, there are lower frequency vibrations like a tire or wheel. They are more noticeable feeling them in the steering wheel and seats.

If the driveline is factory original, then a '64 would have a ball and trunnion transmission and driveshaft. After 60 years, things are getting pretty worn (I can pretty much guarantee that even if the rear U-joint has been replaced, nobody has even touched the ball and trunnion front joint). It will take some hunting, but rebuild parts are out there. As a temporary solution, try putting some 1/4" spacers between the transmission flange and the trunnion housing- this effectively moves the balls to an unworn (or at least less worn) section of the housing, and may eliminate your vibration. Oh, clean and repack it with good grease while you've got it apart.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Good find, and not a terrible price.
When I said it would take some hunting, I just meant that you're not gonna find the stuff at RockAuto or O'Reilly's. It's out there, but you just gotta look.
Yeah, you'll get a blank stare from most big box stores.

Last time I checked, Kramer had housings, too. I see there's a few NOS on EBay, too- but you've gotta be careful, there were different size housings for different applications. So be aware, if it turns out you need one.

Having issues with a vibration in the driveline. 273 cubic inch 4 speed. Possible issues with drive shaft? Any suggestions?
Sometimes when an early A-body with a ball&trunion prop.shaft had been sitting for a long time this might be the problem.
The factory grease has moved to the lower part of the trunion. Sitting very long sometimes the grease will be dryer and harder and when you then starts the car and prop shaft will start to rotate the grease will cause vibrations.

Had it done on my 64

IMG_1391.jpg

-
Back