Duster finally coming back together...

-
I hate you..... damn that's sexy =D> I spend soo much time looking at your resto site that I can't get any work done :)

Another update. Engine compartment is mostly finished up. Just have to install my Pypes exhaust, prime the oil pump, lace up the plug wires, add vital fluids, and fire this thing up. Maybe by next weekend...

Engine 01.jpg

Looks great! The dash is amazing, hope to get mine in that shape one of these days!

Man,that Duster's going to look Bad-*** when it's done. Keep up the good work.

John

Nothing to get excited about but here's the RAAMmat sound deadener installed. It brightens up the interior. :) Easy stuff to work with, doesn't smell and super sticky.

Where did you buy that stuff at? Is it the same sound deadnig stuff sold on Ebay? Why pick it?
Car looks great too! I just a bit behind you in rebuild.I love the color!!

Dude, that has to be one of the nicest cars going together on this site! AWESOME workmanship....awesome attention to detail. Between you and Dave I don't know who's going to have the bitchinest ride !

Congrats and PLEASE keep those posts coming. It's great inspiration for those of us whom think our cars are never going to be finished.

That looks fantastic Preston. Get a clip off that thing fired up as soon as you can. Beautiful dash too.

BTW,,,,thanks John

Are you put the fiberglass firewall padding back? I used the some aluminized bubble insulation from the hardware store and it worked great. Very easy and I think it will function better for the heat coming of the headers and engine. Just a thought since we think similar. LOL

I'm just Fat-Matting the inside of the firewall. Think that will be good enough, or should I go ballistic and use the fiberglass padding too?
Barracuda305-vi.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. I would think you should use the thick stuff also, but I dont know how well the stuff you got on is at keeping heat and sound out.

Where did you buy that stuff at? Is it the same sound deadnig stuff sold on Ebay? Why pick it?
Car looks great too! I just a bit behind you in rebuild.I love the color!!

Thanks! I bought the RAAMmat directly from RAM Audio. It may well be sold on Ebay too but there are a lot of similiar products out there. I chose it mostly based on price (the amount of product you get for the money) compared to Dynamat. After researching, it appears to outperform Dynamat and other products in a number of areas, including bond. Here's a good link for comparison shopping:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Are you put the fiberglass firewall padding back? I used the some aluminized bubble insulation from the hardware store and it worked great. Very easy and I think it will function better for the heat coming of the headers and engine. Just a thought since we think similar. LOL

I reinstalled the fiberglass insulation and ran the foil stuff up to it. I think the factory used fiberglass for sound more than heat (they used it on the underside of the cowl too - which I didn't put back). I'm counting on the foil more for heat reduction and the butyl for a measure of sound deadening.

I'm just Fat-Matting the inside of the firewall. Think that will be good enough, or should I go ballistic and use the fiberglass padding too?
Barracuda305-vi.jpg

Hi John. Thanks for the kind words. I think the Fat-Mat will be plenty adequate. I doubt the addition of the fiberglass insulation will add significantly.

Had a glass guy come out and install a new windshield and reinstall the back glass today. It was worth it. "Fresh glass" sure is nice. Getting it back in helps it look more like a car. Break-in d-day is just a couple days away.

Glass.jpg

Fresh Glass??? Where did you get this from? Was it second hand or new NEW? I can even see the blue tint at the upper side!! I remember this, my windshield used to be like that.... but the blue tint faded out with time...
I guess you sorted out your clip problem.

Fresh Glass??? Where did you get this from? Was it second hand or new NEW? I can even see the blue tint at the upper side!! I remember this, my windshield used to be like that.... but the blue tint faded out with time...
I guess you sorted out your clip problem.

Just the windshield is "fresh". You can can still get them. Everything else is the old stuff. I think I figured out where the 5 "odd" clips went based on which ones had factory sealer all over them and from rust stains on the stainless trim. I received the correct 5 clips just a couple of hours before the glass guy showed up. Had to hunt down a UPS driver. Anyway, I hope they work.

I came to the conclusion that if you just buy the #9750 clip (Chrysler part #6002263) from Year One or Restoration Specialties or whoever, you'll be covered under all circumstances.

70duster440- Aloha!

Excellent work! Plenty of hard work and time has rewarded you with a fine piece of machinery. I bet the factory would have loved to put it together a car like this!

NICE NICE NICE

Aloha!

Here's some video of the fire-up today.

I temporarily bolted the Pype's Race Pro muffs to the ends of Schumacher's using some flex tubing. Basically the equivalent to muffs right on the ends of collectors. Worked great for the break-in. I'll get the exhaust system on proper later.

We stopped it about 10 minutes into the break-in 'cause it was approaching 210'. (Looks like a shroud will be absolutely necessary - or a new radiator setup). Fixed a leaking lower rad hose before resuming. One of the clear sight plugs on my carb broke and just popped off while we were waiting. So, I had to pull the front bowl and remove what was left, then put the sight plugs back in. Weird.

Front pump seal is leaking a little. Started leaking before we even fired it, but I had intentionally overfilled the trans. Don't know yet if it's a permanent leak or just residual oil in the bellhousing. Not looking forward to pulling the trans.

Overall, it went pretty well with no catastrophic failures. Sounds decent too.

http://blip.tv/file/728393/

or lower quality YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA0toTU22dQ

-
Back