Duster Rear Window Louvers

-
thats exactly what im looking for in a rear window louver. those are really easy on the eyes and look sporty

I really like them, they do look nice. There is an issue at high speeds with a slight vibration though. Nothing the stereo won't cover. I am probably going to attach a small steel rod underneath along the center louver which should stiffen it up. It could probably be fixed by two sided tape as well, but then removal would be a pain.

i would love to see a rear quarter window louver to match, kind of like what was on the 70s cobra mustangs. it seems to me with the materials and some time, you could just start with a frame built to the inside trim dimensions of a duster/DS rear window, and build it up from there. you could use some kind of "clips" to slide it under the window trim up top, and some sort of lock/clip on the bottom for removal, and to give it smooth uninterrupted transition from louver to trim to body.

I'm actually working on making a set of those right now :glasses7: I'm using stainless steel sheet (because it's free) to make the louvers.

Only the ones I'm making, will mount to the window itself, so you can still swing out/open the quarter windows.

74 dusted has it right.

the ones in that pic from 19 again arent for a duster. those are adapted from another application and in all honesty, look every bit of it.

Why not fab some up. Bust out the tape measure and fab skills. All they are, esentially, precisely bent slats that are bonded together in an evenly spaced horizontal spacing.

I'm actually working on making a set of those right now :glasses7: I'm using stainless steel sheet (because it's free) to make the louvers.

Only the ones I'm making, will mount to the window itself, so you can still swing out/open the quarter windows.

looking forward to seeing those for sure, i have never seen a duster or sport with quarter window louvers.

looking forward to seeing those for sure, i have never seen a duster or sport with quarter window louvers.

I'll upload some pictures when I get one of them to the rough template stage.

I started to build them, because I wanted a set of Quarter Louvers and a rear Window Louver on my '74 Duster to accent the Roots 6-71. (make it look like a real street terror).

i forgot about the quarter window louvers on the F body road runners/aspen/volares. i wonder if those could be used as a guide or design template even though they are a different shape. are those even available as a re pop?

the dusters and sports just missed the boat with the appearance package options on the 77 RRs and super coupes. that would have been awesome to get the F body appearance/option packages on the A Bodies. if fact ,now my imagination is going crazy. a hybrid "what if" super coupe optioned duster?? T tops, flares,(not the kit car full flares, but just the lower rocker flares) front and rear spoilers, sport mirrors, hood pins, A body dual snorkel scoop, rear and quarter window louvers, 15 x 8 SC wheels, dual exhaust w/ tips, 360 4 barrel, 4 speed, 8 3/4, buckets, console, tuff wheel, stripe kits and blackouts, engine CID callouts and badges..........................wow, that would have been really cool

Hey.. I was just posting what someone else said they had that was original for the Duster.. Either way I like the spark of interest this has generated. I'm definitely interested all the way around.. Would love to see the pics of the quarter window louvers 74Dusted is making.. I wish I had the talent for that kind of metal work (and the tools). I'm just your basic cut it out and weld it back in.. Keep this thread going I'd really like to see this one till the end..

Hey.. I was just posting what someone else said they had that was original for the Duster.. Either way I like the spark of interest this has generated. I'm definitely interested all the way around.. Would love to see the pics of the quarter window louvers 74Dusted is making.. I wish I had the talent for that kind of metal work (and the tools). I'm just your basic cut it out and weld it back in.. Keep this thread going I'd really like to see this one till the end..

unfortunately , those options on the F bodies remained on the F bodies to include all aspen and volarie models and even some wagons. the dusters and dart sports never saw any louvers, flares, air dams , T tops, or 15 x 8 wheels. it would have been cool to see though. i think by 77 the A body platform was dropped for the F body.

yes, i remember reading and seeing that thread or post showing the rear louvers on the duster, i think they were for sale for like 4 or 500 bucks. i believe he said he had two sets. if im not mistaken, in that same thread, he had an original direct connection ducktail spoiler for a duster/dart sport new in the box

I believe your right about the pictures... either way, I think it's pretty cool there's so much interest. You'd think all the manufacturers of the ABS models would jump in and give it a shot.. Their loss our gain! Keep us posted..

Would love to see the pics of the quarter window louvers 74Dusted is making.. I wish I had the talent for that kind of metal work (and the tools). I'm just your basic cut it out and weld it back in.. Keep this thread going I'd really like to see this one till the end..

I don't really have any fancy metal working tools either. Just Shears, Brakes, Flangers, etc and the good old fashioned assortment of hammers.

You pick up the 'talent' when there are no body parts for your favorite truck. My favorite truck (and used to be daily driver) is an '84 Dodge D50. They make nothing for those trucks anymore, So I learned to make my own body panels early on.

Here's some of what I've got done, not a whole lot, because I'm in the middle of swapping a motor in a Saab 900S (that's a f'in nightmare, you have to drop the k-frame/engine/transmission out from under the car to replace the engine. 15+ hour job just to swap an engine)

SANY0290.jpg

Roughly marked the first louver on a piece of leftover stainless sheet. The louver off to the side is one of those Door/Rain Guard things from a truck, I'm using it to get ideas on the angles and curves for my louvers.

Overall dimensions of the first Louver are 17.5" Long x 1.25" Wide

1/4" (x2) for the thickness of the glass
1.25" (x2) for the angle/height increase of the louver
1/2" (x2) for the mounting tabs

Then they'll decrease in length from that point onward (since the window gets smaller toward the back), but the above dimensions will remain the same, except the total length.

Once all the individual louvers are made, I'll connect them together on a frame/base

i would really love to see these types of quarter window louvers on a duster, especially the 4/5 vertical slats on the RRs. here are a few pics for inspiration ...

Attachments

• 77-Plymouth-1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 710
  • 77rr.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 813
  • 77rrbydplieth_up1_1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 678
  • 77sc.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 77rt.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 819
here are some aluminum/ABS plastic , B & E body pics of rear window louvers...

Attachments

• wl5.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 620
  • wl4.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 730
  • wl3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 633
  • wl2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • wl1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 685
  • wl.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 716
^the hinged style would be perfect for the Duster, if you could have them lift up for when you wanted to open the trunk, and then they could go all the way to the bottom of the window.

Just a question, but if they're hinged at the top won't they bounce all over the place when you're going down the road? (Unless they're heavy enough to stay put.)

i really like the idea of having 5 slats down the back window and 5 corrosponding vertical slats for the quarter windows. not only would it look factory but you wouldnt have to fabricate so many of them. the RRs just used double sided tape to attatch them to the side windows from the factory. the odd thing is that i cannot find any evidence of any rear window louvers to go with the side windows on any 77 and up RRs R/Ts or SCs. it has my curiosity going. i wish i had a couple of the original 77 RR side louvers to cut up and play with, because the windows are similar to the duster in lot of ways.

a couple of those E body louvers look like they would dam near fit right over a duster / sport back glass

Nope, they anchor and the bottom corners. I have them on my new Challenger and they are fine.

do you have the style on the yellow challenger in the pic? those are the best looking in my opinion. if you do , can you throw out some measurements just for sh*ts and giggles?

here is a pic someone showed me of an aftermarket rear window louver for an F body. that looks so close to a duster its not even funny. maybe just a little too curved at the bottom, but close. wish i had one of these in my hands

Attachments

• wl6.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 681
-
Back