Duster Rear Window Louvers

-
Anybody have the measurements for an F-body rear window? Cause they still sell the aftermarket louvers for them.

Has anybody trie calling Willpak industries for info they still offer custom ordered louvers for 70-74 challengers and some older road runners and chargers and stranger still omni/colt louvers ? they make for a lot of different cars maybe they got a mopar guy there who knows which windows are close in shape to ours like maybe a craparo or a nova , I would love a set for my fastback barracuda

Anybody have the measurements for an F-body rear window? Cause they still sell the aftermarket louvers for them.

i am a member over at FMJ i will post a thread right now for measurements. **update**.....well its been 10 hours since i started a thread asking for one of those guys to measure his back window, and it has not even gotten 1 view !! that place is a grave yard over there. they get like 3 new threads a week lol. i will post the measurements if or when i get them, it could be awhile.....

Got to keep this thread rolling.. I see ya even got Leanna's attention.. That says alot! This thread makes me want to go out and pick up a pair of snips and cut something!

Got to keep this thread rolling.. I see ya even got Leanna's attention.. That says alot! This thread makes me want to go out and pick up a pair of snips and cut something!

lmao ,seriously man, thats what im sayin.. i wish i could get my hands on some F body quarter louvers...chop chop saw glue cut weld sand trim paint lol

Has anybody trie calling Willpak industries for info they still offer custom ordered louvers for 70-74 challengers and some older road runners and chargers and stranger still omni/colt louvers ? they make for a lot of different cars maybe they got a mopar guy there who knows which windows are close in shape to ours like maybe a craparo or a nova , I would love a set for my fastback barracuda
there is a pic of a purple 68 or 9 fast back barracuda, that pops up now and then on the members rides, at the top of the home page , that has louvers. next time i see it , i will save the pic and find out who owns it, and pass the info on to you.

I will measure my Super Coupe tomorrow for yha. Where did you find the F body ones?

Yes, absolutely! I was interested the first time it was mentioned a year or so ago but the follow through was lacking. I could make them match individual trim packages, black out schemes, paint colors, pretty much anything you guys would want. And if they're clean production pieces to start with that don't take a lot of prep, the cost will be VERY attractive.

It's great to see so many interested not only in pursuing this but working so hard together to make it happen. Ya'll make me proud! :D

Alright I told ya after reading this thread I had to go out and get the snips...So I DID! LOL!!!!!!!! I used cardboard to cut the template out and using my basic paper folding techniques (LOL again) I started measuring off 4" with a 1" strip to keep some of the rigidity. Bent the first bend at 90 degrees straight up then another 1" increment to bend it yet another 90 degrees back the same direction as original. (hope that makes sense?) I could see using a light guage stainless or aluminum, these would be extremely light on the window..
3 things I found out, first the window is a little convex being a little bowed toward the center front. If your using any kind of metal you will probably have to get that shape first. Second even when using any kind of metal that would just be bent and standing I would think at some speed, wind and vibration along with some harmonics would come into play. So my suggestion is take and weld in a small filler piece at the top to keep vibration from happening. If you did the bottom I would think it would hold water..but ya never know.
Lastly I would make about 5 clips and weld them on (3 on top 2 on the bottom) to slide it right over the edges of the window, with one or two of them with a standard 1/4"-20 nut attached/welded and a small thumb screw just to anchor it to the window...
I posted the pics below of my mock up. After seeing 74Dusted start I had to do something...LOL!!
Hey maybe this will inspire a few more.. I wish I had the metal brakes to do this with I think I could make a set in a couple of days. So if someone uses this idea hope I get a good discount... Now I am LMAO!!!!
Here ya go.

Attachments

• 101_0720.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 101_0721.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 101_0722.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 362
  • 101_0723.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 101_0724.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 358
i am seriously liking that alot! how easy would it be to take the window out and trace it? i know its a mock up but, if you can make the slats evenly proportioned (pic) , i think you are really on to something here. in my opinion, the quarter and rear window louvers would look just plain awesome on a duster. if it was warmer out, i would be all over too!

Attachments

• 77lo.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 365
i am seriously liking that alot! how easy would it be to take the window out and trace it? i know its a mock up but, if you can make the slats evenly proportioned (pic) , i think you are really on to something here. in my opinion, the quarter and rear window louvers would look just plain awesome on a duster. if it was warmer out, i would be all over too!

I have a set of quarter windows sitting in a box in the back of my '74. I swapped the original '74 Windows for a set of '71 windows (with the chrome handles, about 6 years ago). So it'd be easy for me to trace the window :D

ok guys and girls, i spent this morning mocking up my own template out of cardboard and a glue gun.i took the pop out latch off and i was able to push the window out far enough to trace it. its rough around the edges and its hard to get any curves. this is a pic of it on the car. i painted it black ,but the paint is still wet, and i am going to attatch it to the window here in a few. i think it looks pretty good for cardboard lol. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• dl3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 363
  • dl2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 357
  • dl1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 349
Friggin Awesome!

Too bad you didn't have some sand and that stuff they use to make fiberglass molds. and then used that template to make a fiberglass mold to make louvers.

Just a question, but if they're hinged at the top won't they bounce all over the place when you're going down the road? (Unless they're heavy enough to stay put.)

No Speedy,
They are anchored at the bottom with quick release pins (similar to hood pins) You can see them pretty well in the pic of the orange car. And...if he fabs these out of aluminum, maybe they should be powder coated? :finga:

I had a 78 280Z w aftermarket aluminum louvers. (sold it to buy the 68 cuda) They were simple knife-hinged at the top and had little latches at the bottom that opened with a cheesy flat key. It turned 180 degrees to open and turned the other way to lock. The hinge feature is so the glass can be cleaned when you wash the car.

The WPC newsletter that had the 67-69 Barracuda story in it showed a 67 B-cuda FB that had rear window louvers, obviously aftermarket. The idea was good but it looked really bulky from the side.

here it is secured to the window with paint. i really like it. the pics dont do it justice. now, if we could just get someone to make them... if only i had the resources...i have really dark tint in my back windows so its hard to get the effect without being able to see through the window but...

Attachments

• 2wl.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 361
  • 4wl.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 350
  • 7wl.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 352
  • dl6.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 343
i wonder what they would look like body color.....hhmmmm.....not an exact color match, but you get the idea.. thats crazy how the angles and shadows make it look sunk in. if it had nice smooth rounded corners it would look much better

Attachments

• pl6.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 634
  • pl4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 355
  • pl5.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 330
Mine looks like cardboard compared to 73AbodEE's. I think there's enough talented
People on here, certainly someone could fab these up. I am impressed with that look.
Dude thats "fricken awsome".

Mine looks like cardboard compared to 73AbodEE's. I think there's enough talented
People on here, certainly someone could fab these up. I am impressed with that look.
Dude thats "fricken awsome".

every ounce of inspiration came from you ! now we need someone to make a set . i wonder if there would be enough interest to make it worth it. and yes we would need the rear window to match. i do like the black better

-
Back