Duster Rear Window Louvers

-
still playin' with photoshop...

ve3di.jpg

a0vus2.jpg

2u61agl.jpg

I can never get purple right.

The red really looks awesome... Hmmm, so that's what my '74 Duster will look like at the end of next month (when I'm done painting it). Only with a Roots 6-71 poking up through the hood too.

I'd love the vintage look of louvers on my car. I've got Keystone Klassic wheels and even a set of Fuzzy Dice hanging from the mirror :D And Hood Locks (when's the last time anyone's seen a set of Hood Locks? :D )

PS Leanna whats the minimum gauge metal we can use for this if we want them powder coated ?

I think 16 gauge should be adequate. It's thin enough to work with manufacturing-wise, won't warp at curing temps for my purposes, and shouldn't flex too badly even in high winds if the side supports are well constructed and properly welded.

For what it's worth, using a tig would be preferable over mig welding if they're going to be powder coated by any other shops. Migs, especially using flux core, introduce a lot of air that can blow out ("outgas") when the parts get hot. I take steps to prevent it but not everybody in my industry does.

still playin' with photoshop...

ve3di.jpg

a0vus2.jpg

2u61agl.jpg

I can never get purple right.

Wow, nice work teetee!! :-D

If it's a simple matter of a couple clicks, can we see what these same cars would look like with body color louvers? And maybe even white to tie in / set off the side stripes and a chrome look (I know, tough to create in photoshop).

The more I see this, the more and more you're making the Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports look like on of these.

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 531
Not trying to start nothing just pointing this out to people. Seems like you'll have more people calling them Mustangs, thats all.

I like to think of it as "aero-dynamics", besides a good running "A" body can eat one of those for lunch.... Who cares if they can't figure out what it is... they know what it wasn't...

Hey wanna try one in black for mine...

Attachments

• Picture 105.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 529
well, its better than getting my duster called a nova every other day. if you are going to use a mustang as comparison for quarter window louvers, you would probably want to use one of these little turds. it hurts me to post this ...1976-7 brought big changes to the big 3 , i wont post a chevy here

Attachments

• 1977MustangCobraII.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 877
  • 77-Plymouth-1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 523
If it's a simple matter of a couple clicks, can we see what these same cars would look like with body color louvers? And maybe even white to tie in / set off the side stripes and a chrome look (I know, tough to create in photoshop).
here's an all-red one (it's hard to turn black into a color without losing details)
11gu3j8.jpg

and chrome's hard- comes out basically white, but you asked about that so I'll post it instead of deleting it lol.
2jetmhe.jpg

I'm gonna be off-line here for awhile.. today starts travel again, but I'll be checking in thru the week.. Try not to let this thread die as the others have because of lack of interest. I really think there is a "great possibilty" that at least for those of us who would like to "enhance" our rides, we can find someone who can accomodate the needs..

19 ....

what ever happen to Airkiller the OP? havent heard a word from him since he started all this. maybe he is in development stages lol

On line for a bit this morning.. I see Leanna hasn't posted anything about seeing if the someone she knew would be interested in going forward with this. There are a lot of talented people on this forum, maybe someone will be interested....
By the way "where is Airkiller"??

I sent my buddy an email with a link to this thread but haven't heard anything yet. He's got a serious track record with fabrication / sheet metal and is the only one I'd consider recommending.

I think the success of this idea will depend on the curve of the piece and the angle. It has to look like it flows with the car. Being boxy and very angular makes it look like an after thought. When it comes together I certainly want one.
Andrew

Bumpity Bump.. Back on-line..
Anyone having any luck with scissors and cardboard, or aluminum or steel??

i really wish i had a way to mold some ABS plastic. i have done a little searching but i have come up empty. the sides would have to be some sort of injection molding or fiberglass, but i think the big part here is getting a good solid mold of the actual part. i dont think you could even get the sides or the rear through any aftermarket company back in the day. aluminum would probably work for the rear window. the sides, probably not so much to avoid the boxy sharp lines. i will keep on trying to find out what i can and keep on searching though.

I know the sides were available years ago.

My dad had pictures of his '73 340 Duster with a set of side louvers on it, from the late 70's / early 80's.

Says he bought them out of a catalog, we've been trying to find where he put them when he removed them from the car, but no luck so far.

you mean there is a chance they are STILL AROUND?? that would awesome! find those things ! i really wasnt sure if you could get them back in the day, but it sounds like you could have..find em lol

you mean there is a chance they are STILL AROUND?? that would awesome! find those things ! i really wasnt sure if you could get them back in the day, but it sounds like you could have..find em lol

Just asked my dad, he says he thinks he got them through JCWhitney in the 80's

I haven't had any luck finding them yet. But I'm still searching.

-
Back