Dyno #'s with Trickflow Heads

-
Guys talk alot about the TF heads being a game changer. Kinda all in how ya look at it. To me if they perform as good as the numbers look then they are in fact a game changer. Very nice castings coupled with quality components and ports that work (the verdict may still be out). On the right short block they should be an "easy button" for alot of us.

Just get a bigger cam and maybe a single plane intake.
It will make a huge difference.

Really just wanted to show that more expensive is not always better & aluminum is not always the way to go.
Not if you aren't going to take advantage of the additional potential provided by the new heads. I don't think it's fair to disparage the TF heads which were replacing a very good head to begin with. Considering the IMM EQ head isn't available anymore, there aren't too many options available for something in that performance range ready to go out of the box. What's the next best iron head? The SM heads have potential but need to be loved on by someone that knows what they are doing. Good head porters aren't a dime a dozen. Around here I haven't found one that has a flow bench, everyone is just going by eye. So now you have another $100+ in shipping them around to make sure you get a good job.

I really appreciated the post where it was shown the Iron heads outflowed the SM big time below .500 lift

Thanks for all the input, the OP really appreciates it!! Really just wanted to show that more expensive is not always better & aluminum is not always the way to go. Brian at IMM produces a great product with his EQ heads and I wish I had just left well enough alone. I have a 3.91 gear & 3500 stall dynamic converter. So I guess my next option to see if I can get some Bang for my buck is a bigger custom cam & a larger single plane intake. Hey at the very least I saved 100lbs in weight...lol

So this is advertising, okay.
Why do you word it 'as if' he owns Engine Quest? This was a bait n switch based on a apples to oranges comparison.

Wonder why it took so long for a cylinder head manufacturer to make heads for mopar..... Geez you have to have the correct parts to take advantage of these heads. Chevy/Ford guys know this.

Wonder why it took so long for a cylinder head manufacturer to make heads for mopar..... Geez you have to have the correct parts to take advantage of these heads. Chevy/Ford guys know this.

In my mind... I just think this thread was just a hoax, mere name dropping.
No graph of the op's motor and based on a biased combo that would only show that the rule still stands... the classic example of the wrong cam, wrong head, aka... worng combo can cut the balls of potential off with rusty scissors...
It does no service for anyone.

OP...
Just post a shout-out to IMM next time.. and just say you're happy with your heads and your combo ...because it's well-matched and makes good power...then post a graph showing it.

The "OP" really appreciates the accusations of being a marketing genius. Unfortunately not the case. Just a guy in his late 30s with a 71 340 duster, a job as a retail store manager, & 2yr old twins at home. As far as dyno graphs, the operator my brother was in a hurry and I didn't get a print out. However I can't complain because it was free and I can go back anytime to grab them. With 2 yr old twins free time is hard to find...

Last edited:
If this was advertising it backfired ! Lol
Most of the thread points out how if properly matched components are used the Trickflows will outpower the EQs.

If this was advertising it backfired ! Lol
Most of the thread points out how if properly matched components are used the Trickflows will outpower the EQs.

Thank you, I was honestly just trying to state how I had a good quality product & thought bigger was better. Made a huge mistake and wasted 3k & now just want some recommendations on how to fix my mistake. I honestly thought the point of these forums was to learn, brainstorm, and get advise. Guess I was wrong!

Trying to advertise heads that are no longer produced... that’s some 3D level business thinking going on here... FYI I did set of EQ heads last year and the guy who flowed them said they were some best small block mopar heads that he flowed, I think they went mid 270s at 500 which is as high as I asked him to go.
Maybe on a build that you aiming for 500 plus HP the trick flows would be a better choice

Thank you, I was honestly just trying to state how I had a good quality product & thought bigger was better. Made a huge mistake and wasted 3k & now just want some recommendations on how to fix my mistake. I honestly thought the point of these forums was to learn, brainstorm, and get advise. Guess I was wrong!

I dont know if you wasted your money.
You now have the ability to upgrade your power output in the future with a simple cam swap.

I’m digging the praise being heaped on the EQ’s as that just drives up the price on the set I still am running when it comes time to sell!:lol: No rush to do the swap to the TF’s I have atm though. I factored in the cost to upgrade the EQ’s from standard length 1.92/1.62 intakes/exausts to the larger/longer 2.02 or 2.05 intakes, exhausts, springs, actual pro porting and flowing, labor and time/hassle of traipsing around which would have put me at well over $2500 which includes the heads and parts for the initial setup....and decided a set of ootb TF’s with rockers suited me better. Sell off the EQ’s and valvetrain components and be ahead at least I think so:rolleyes:

NO you were not wrong, that's what this forum is suppose to be all about, members helping other members. It's a shame that there are some Bone Heads on here that use this forum to *****, whine and try to belittle others. Partner we all make mistakes, Lord knows I have made my share. Go get ya a new cam and you'll be fine.
Good luck

Last edited:
I'm running the ported RHS Indy X from Brian, 340 XS274S SFT and my car picked up 4/10 from my ported j heads. The cam is not even taking full advantage of the heads potential. I can see how the OP did not pick up a ton of hp.

Nah, you're just unconventional as to how you go about it... and even now you're actually insulting the board with this.
Really, are you who you say you are...?
BUT Since you really didn't get anything out of the three pages of responses, I guess I'll reiterate some of those responses... Spend another 400 bucks for a cam & lifter kit... do so by calling a cam vendor and giving your info on motor specs, car weight, try and, gear, induction and your style/type of driving you will be doing with it... and they will reccomend a cam for you and those heads.

Last edited:
I'm running the ported RHS Indy X from Brian, 340 XS274S SFT and my car picked up 4/10 from my ported j heads. The cam is not even taking full advantage of the heads potential. I can see how the OP did not pick up a ton of hp.
Brian does good work.
The RHS heads are a great starting point and really dont need much to make them perform. A good narrow 3 angle and light blending does the trick.

The j heads...well they are something not many have mastered or care to replicate the kind of work it takes ...so you have many who mostly end up with a set of 240 cfm heads and a ton casting still in the way. But that's not what this thread is about.

People need to remember 'a good cylinder head' can make a regular guy look like a porting god.

mbaird
It appears that the TF only outperform the EQ's if the rev range is raised or a bigger cam is used
implying lower gears and converter change
not much help in a tow application or...

I apologies- I looked for the comparison posted earlier between al and iron heads where the iron heads had more flow below about half inch
haven't found it yet

mderoy
good move
do you have flows for both sets of heads?

mbaird
It appears that the TF only outperform the EQ's if the rev range is raised or a bigger cam is used
implying lower gears and converter change
not much help in a tow application or...

I apologies- I looked for the comparison posted earlier between al and iron heads where the iron heads had more flow below about half inch
haven't found it yet

mderoy
good move
do you have flows for both sets of heads?

Yes... more revs and bigger cam.
But I think he can get a cam to that will achieve both HP and driveability. Maybe not max HP but much more than what he has now.

Yes... more revs and bigger cam.
But I think he can get a cam to that will achieve both HP and driveability. Maybe not max HP but much more than what he has now.
Screenshot_20200215-235338_Chrome.jpg

-
Back